[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• i greatly look forward to the update, only reason im still playing in 1.1 honestly. now just a curious question, are you still planing on proceding with nano tech? i remmber reading bout it awhile ago but not sure if you have or haven't dropped the idea

• Official Post

Nanotech is still a possibility, but it'll have to wait until after the satellite update (which, in turn, will come after full SMP and missile defense systems).

I suppose now is as good a time as any to announce that I've been putting some work into a "Realistic Reactors" add-on, since vanilla IC2's reactor bears about as much resemblance to an actual nuclear reactor as the mob spawning mechanics do to a real ecosystem. With this mod installed you'll be able to enrich uranium, breed plutonium and U-233 from U-238 and thorium, and set up optimal arrangements of fuel elements and moderator in your reactor. Current plans put the release of Realistic Reactors after the completion of Rocket Science, but if there's sufficient interest I could move the date up a bit.

• [...] vanilla IC2's reactor bears about as much resemblance to an actual nuclear reactor as the mob spawning mechanics do to a real ecosystem.

Understatement of the year. XD

The Realistic Reactors sounds quite intriguing, Kent - are you anticipating even higher efficiencies than if we'd stuck to most tried and true methods of loading reactors or CASUCs? I'd understand if such was not your intention, but it would certainly be nice to have something that competes with CASUCs without having to worry about a nightmarish setup (other than positioning moderator in the reactor, of course).

• What about adding in something, IDK, Particle physicish, like Antimatter or, just for the sheer " Oh shit" factor, a stranglet that would begin converting parts of your world into itself?

Since we already have "Superconductors" why not have Mag-Lev carts and railroad tracks? or some form of man portable coil or railgun?

Just throwing ideas out there, BTW, and thanks for not skipping immediately to 1.2.4.... This mod remains a must have for IC2, once you gather the required materials, of course

• Al's talked about adding electric minecarts already, so the Mag-lev system would probably be redundant.

Not sure I'm a fan of the strangelet idea, though - I'd rather not have parts of my world randomly disappearing into a deep dark void.

• Al's talked about adding electric minecarts already, so the Mag-lev system would probably be redundant.

Not sure I'm a fan of the strangelet idea, though - I'd rather not have parts of my world randomly disappearing into a deep dark void.

What about the whole "Rail/Coil" gun idea?

• Nanotech is still a possibility, but it'll have to wait until after the satellite update (which, in turn, will come after full SMP and missile defense systems).

I suppose now is as good a time as any to announce that I've been putting some work into a "Realistic Reactors" add-on, since vanilla IC2's reactor bears about as much resemblance to an actual nuclear reactor as the mob spawning mechanics do to a real ecosystem. With this mod installed you'll be able to enrich uranium, breed plutonium and U-233 from U-238 and thorium, and set up optimal arrangements of fuel elements and moderator in your reactor. Current plans put the release of Realistic Reactors after the completion of Rocket Science, but if there's sufficient interest I could move the date up a bit.

NIce =)

Would the Realistic reactors addon override old reactor types? Replace? Delete? Remove?

It should =)

• Official Post

Realistic Reactors won't overwrite the vanilla IC2 reactor, for the sake of compatibility. The crafting recipe for a Realistic Reactor will be similar (maybe just juxtaposing the positions of the circuits and reactor chambers), but they will be distinct blocks. Power output should be roughly comparable to optimized reactor designs in vanilla IC2.

I'm trying not to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, so anything that Alblaka may have planned won't be in this mod. I can't produce coilguns or railguns until we get more information about this mysterious "Industrial Warfare" project of his. (An upgraded mining laser isn't out of the question, though...)

• why stop at just reactors? its just one make to make heat for RLgenerators you could make a whole system of interchangeable parts that make different power sources based on what parts are selected and how they are arranged.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Nanotech is still a possibility, but it'll have to wait until after the satellite update (which, in turn, will come after full SMP and missile defense systems).

Do you think that, with this, you might make the crafting of nukes a bit more realistic? :)
    Perhaps with the enriched uranium you mention?

• Realistic Reactors won't overwrite the vanilla IC2 reactor, for the sake of compatibility. The crafting recipe for a Realistic Reactor will be similar (maybe just juxtaposing the positions of the circuits and reactor chambers), but they will be distinct blocks. Power output should be roughly comparable to optimized reactor designs in vanilla IC2.

I'm trying not to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, so anything that Alblaka may have planned won't be in this mod. I can't produce coilguns or railguns until we get more information about this mysterious "Industrial Warfare" project of his. (An upgraded mining laser isn't out of the question, though...)

Ah. I was wondering about weapons and such. I'll patiently await any news.. as for the mining laser, I already use it as a weapon; turn it to long range, viola!
    (Works great 'cept for what happens when you miss.... I don't recommend using it around things that don't like holes punched in them...)

And thanks for not dismissing my ideas out of hand or flaming them, I've had that happen a few times.

• This may have been covered, but the search function isn't cooperating with me.

I've noticed I can pipe water-cells into the isotope separator, and I can pipe the finished product out, but don't seem to be able to pipe out the empty cells. Is this already a commonly known problem? (Yes, i've tried every face of the cube, none seems to work for empty cells)

Has anyone tried redpower pipes with these? I'm probably off to try that next.

• Official Post

Passinglurker: A complete (thermodynamically accurate) generator overhaul might be a possibility, but would be quite a bit more work than simply fixing the nuclear reactors. I'll consider it if I have time.

Misticblade: Yes, crafting nukes will be altered. You'll be able to choose between gun-type and implosion-type warheads, with varying yield based on isotope and enrichment level (protip: plutonium's spontaneous fission rate is too high to be used in a gun-type device!). Multi-stage Teller-Ulam warheads will also be craftable.

Lazurkri: The improved mining laser would likely have an "Anti-Organic" mode - a high-power, low-focus system ideal for scorching a large cross-section of flesh - to burn mobs without affecting terrain. I'd also like to make the projectile strike instantly, if possible.

Krazygluon: I haven't included Buildcraft compatibility yet, but it's on my to-do list. Eventually you'll be able to suck used cells out the bottom of the separator - and the fusion reactor will accept fuel and lithium, allowing a fully-automated fusion setup.

Something else I've been working on lately is a cloning machine, scheduled for release soon after the defense update and compatibility patch. Ever wanted to copy your seeds, grow dozens of Spawn Cat eggs from a single Siamese's DNA sample, or even build your own Creeper factory? The fabric of life itself is your plaything with the Rocket Science Cloning Kit (nutrient paste sold separately).

• oh a cloning machine...can the product be spawn eggs or will it be instant spawn?
    im just imagining this along side thaumcrafts machine that 'extracts life'
    :D i feel its a mad scientist healthy mix