Suggestion: IC weapons

• Name:
    IC weapons

Describtion:
    before I begin, I am NOT suggesting any overpowered "imma firin mah lazar" type of weapons; I am suggesting balanced, futuristic weapons

I origionally had some ideas about low-tech, long lasting swords made from refined iron and advanced alloys, but it seems alblaka already has some ideas about swords in mind

my next idea was a flame-thrower; this is a bit op-ed and I actually don't advise adding it; since there will be naturally generated oil, and there already is fuel in the game, why not have a fun way of burning some of it?

my third idea was a tazer; this would require an entire battery for a single use, and would have to be recharged after every use; in addition, this would not actually cause much damage to the entity it hits; instead it inflicts only 2 hearts of damage and temporarily paralyzes the mob/player that is hit (except the creeper of course, they get power armor)

my fourth idea is a rail-gun; railguns work by launching a projectile with magnetism, aka electricity (electromagnetism, look it up if you have not). This would again require one battery of power per shot, but can hold enough charge for 5 shots; the main cost of this weapon would be the projectiles. A rail is fired too fast to be retrieved, even if it does not hit a mob. Each rail is crafted from refined iron coated with compressed coal fibers (refined iron to provide the puncturing strength, and the carbon because it does not accept extra electrons easily, therefore making it a good material to be fired with magnetism. If a rail hits a weak block (glass, ice, wool), it breaks the block and continues its path until it hits a solid block. Rails would not curve (they fire in a straight line), and inflict 9 hearts of damage on contact with a mob (enough to seriously take the fight out of it, but not enough to kill it)

My last idea is a free electron lazer gun. This is in fact a real technology developed by the United States navy, but because of recent funding cuts, is not likely to be used widespread any time soon. Anyway though, the free electron lazer gun is not a star-wars kind of gun, instead, it fires a super-heated lazer that cannot cut through metal, but can heat up a motor so hot that it cuts out and dies. If applied on a living organism, it would most likely (it has never been tested on humans or animals), cause flesh to bake and die. These guns are very large irl, and would most likely not be handheld. Instead, these could be like a psudoblock (similar to how beds and doors are only half block, half entity). The block halves of the guns would have to be wired into an HV current constantly, and would need a cool-down time of 5 seconds after firing the gun for 3 seconds. The coding for the ray itself can be based off of the code for lightning, as (in game), it would essentially be aimed lightning

I do have one more idea, but it is more of a joke than anything. It would have to be an item that cannot be crafted in any way, and the only way to get one would be through hacking the game (instead of the admin wrentch, it would be like the moderator tool). This tool would not need to be powered, and essentially would just be a sword that instantly kills anything hit with it. This tool would be a lightsaber, and would most likely be a tool given to moderators on a server to handle small-scale issues, while the admin and ops would use the admin wrentch to handle large scale griefing and to kill mobs/players

Recipe:
    too tired to think right now, I'll edit the post with recipes tomorrow

• Official Post

1. Flame-thrower. I can see that working especially when there is (or it's supposed to be) fuel in mod. Massive forest fires were never so easy.

2. Handheld gauss gun? I would be against weapons when mining lasers are actually enough to take most of the mobs without any problems ...but I would like to remind that adventure patch is coming and with it some new mobs. Saying without spoilers it's possible that some new firepower would be helpful to deal with them but it's simply issue of balancing things.
    Also there should be limited amount of soft blocks that a rail can get through

3. I don't see that working as a weapon. I mean placing, wiring it all takes time. Instead it could be bigger version of digging laser. Thing that can reach higher blocks without moving from place. Something for better reach then drill and more precise then digging laser in cost of immobility.

4. I dunno what to think about it.

• Official Post

ok first of all positive: They are not overpowered ^^ and i like the idea of the railgun, but they should have a specific range and not unlimited^^

but i dont see the sense of the weaps... flame thrower = griefing, tazer= mh useless i think, lazer gun = idk xD

• I do like the idea of a tazer though, stun your enemy for a couple seconds so you could put the woopin on him.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• While I like the idea of ranged weapons, and had a short burst of fun with SDK's Gun mod, I don't think
    I'd use them very much. its much easier to just use the chainsaw, which is essentially an unlimited use
    diamond sword, and needs recharged rarely when you have the batpack. Spending time and iron on
    making ammo just ends up not being worth it in the long run.

That said, I do like the idea of unlimited ammo defense turrets, which essentially provide constant
    protection from creeper sneak attacks. It was the only part of the Gun Mod I actually used after a while.
    Maybe if your laser turret suggestion worked like that I'd be in favor.

• This is more civilized like the other posts of weapons, Railgun = COOL but i think you replace the flamethrower with something else that you cant greif with like a liquid nitrogen weapon :D???? All it can do is freeze mobs and people for a limited time and can turn blocks into frozen or ice blocks for a limited time so it causes no harm :D but overall this is a good idea buy you should add some kind of weapon range.

• Since Alblaka thought about the implementation of a "Nano-Sword", at least one long-range weapon (able to deal heavy damage against a tin can aka nanosuit-user) should be considered, should be high-tier stuff (advanced circuits, energy crystals etc) should be added.
    I mean if weapons are what we want, we should install a gun-mod, but IC != guns? right?
    Back to the weapons:

Long-range-weapon:
    The iron is expensive issue could be solved by actually making a Railgun, because the slugs can be made of other things than iron, because ... blah Lorentz force blah (i won't get in the details now, look it up on wikipedia) ... the slug doesn't need to be ferromagnetic.
    On the other hand, a Gauß-Weapon with iron (or refined iron) slugs would be interesting, precisely because the fact of the expensive ammunition, not to mention the energy costs.

Flamethrower:
    I don't think thats a necessary addition, the griefing is not a problem (simple .txt: allow_flamethrowers=true/false), but in my opinion the mining laser is enough for CQB.

Taser:
    mhm, I don't get why i would need that thing if i have a chainsaw (or a Nano-Tech Sword).

Stational Laser Thingy:
    i think the tesla coils already do the job, but a stationary mining laser (dealing nice amounts of damage to mobs) would be good, excavating of my bunkers would be a lot easier, ok i could use nukes, but to clean the mess up afterwards ....

sry for my possibly it is very late and i'm no native speaker

• rI'll see your stationary drilling laser and raise you a MAC-Assisted driller. Basically a railgun, only much bigger.