Suggestion: GPS map

• Alteration to vanilla map. Differences:

1. Consumes energy when in hand (very slowly)
    2. Mapped area is not limited to the size of the map "screen" and is common for all gps maps. So, if you lost one, and make new, it will be exactly same. Or if anyone else makes a map, it will be exactly same too.
    Showed territory is centered on the player.
    3. x,y,z coordinates are shown at the top of the map (like with f3)
    4. Player can place "beacons". It's essentially same as signs, but with gps map equipped in hand, they are shown on the map (with text assigned), and also is seen "through walls" (like monster ids on f3)

• Another option would be to install ZanMinimap... which doesnt require any energy to run. :/

But cool idea man

That's no fun! Gotta make it take energy, then it's fun. :)

• Not bad, but on SMP servers, I think it'd be a bit harder to program a GPS into it and have everyone have the same map at the same time, one, too many updates to the GPS and two, methinks that a LOT of CPU would be used in maintaining the status of the thing.

Oh, and in terms of the so-called "not limited to map 'screen size,' " I've poked around in the MC server code and maps run fairly smoothly as they are limited, but the memory usage of a "infinite screen" would (probably) spiral out of control quickly.

But, not a bad idea though.

• Official Post

Hmmm... a similar idea was already brought up with CPUs displaying largescale maps...
    I will think about a GPS, but it will probably take some time to reverseEnegineer the Mapping code ^^

• GPSOU (GPS Orbital Unit) - works as a full-scale GPS for one person which has the frequency of the GPSOU. GPS map is centered on player. (if centering on player - other stuff is not good, the Orbital Unit can be simply unused) the launching might prove tricky... perhaps integrate a jet-pack? (crafting -- Orbital Unit + 2-3 filled Jetpacks = Launchable Orbital Unit? will launch straight up from hand -- unrealistic, ik -- and disappear upon hitting the top air layer. also, if you launch it in a cave (i.e. it hits a block), it will explode like an ITNT upon hitting the block, just without dropping ALL the blocks in the explosion radius. only the ones that are on the edges, like normal TNT does it.)

+ useful mainly on SP, or for individuals, since it gives a scrolling map.
    - should be harder to get.

Solar panel - S (this baby needs some energy as well)
    Advanced Machine - M (data storage)
    FreqTrans - F (signal I/O)
    Advanced Alloy - A (to make it durable enough to stay there)

S S S
    A M A
    F A F

OR

S MF S
    A M A
    F A F

where MF is MFSUnit, for energy storage and for harder availability. the upper setup might be relatively easy to get.

GPSSU (Stationary Unit) -- used as an alternative to the satellite, looking like a tesla coil (see negative below), needs a stable energy source to be able to receive and transmit data into Handheld Device. (5 EU/s?) Can be turned off by redstone. (will not give signal, in that case.) is usable by multiple Handheld Devices at once, although each device connected draws extra energy (base standby usage 5 EU/s + 2 EU/s per GPSHD) -- GPS Map will be centered on the location of the Relay.

+ Useful for Multiplayer. Cheaper alternative to the satellite. Good for new-ish people to get a GPS Map. (granted they have a Handheld Device, though)
    - Map is static - centered on relay. May cause people to sneak in to get your frequency and thus to sap your energy. (but hey, at least you'll get to use those Tesla coils of yours! Camoflague AND protection!)

Advanced Machine - M (Data storage and multitasking in this case)
    Refined Iron - I (enough to keep it alive on surface... hopefully anyway)
    FreqTrans - F (obvious by now)
    Cable - C (wiring. period.)
    Glowstone Block - B (Glowstone is renowned for its signal amplification. this way it can be planted in mountains and it will provide decent signal. (OPTIONAL, since it may cause GPSSU to be somewhat hard-to-get)

B F B
    I C I
    I M I

GPSHD (Handheld Device) would need the exact frequency of a Relay (more about FreqTrans and this later)on which the map will be centered, and will be able to switch to a different relay (with FreqTrans, obviously), on which the "NEW" map will be centered, thus giving it a "multiple maps in one item" potential, depending on how many relays will you make. (you can't store 2 relay frequencies to easily switch back to, though. or, maybe...?) rightclicking with this in hand will open a single-slot interface. insert battery. (perhaps the potential Freq-Switch -- between Satellite and Relay? -- might be here, IF the dev will find it okay.)

Advanced Circuit - C (since machines are too heavy to carry around)
    FreqTrans - F
    RE Battery - B (every mobile device needs energy storage.)
    Carbon Plate - P (since they haven't got that much of a use, and are lightweight)
    Glass - G (the most reliable display.)

+ It's possible to have a multi-map with several FreqTranses with different relay frequencies.
    - still requires a recharge now and then (1 EU/s, can run only on battery (10k EU) - no bat-pack. that'd be somewhat IMBA.)

P F P
    C G C
    P B P

A rightclick with FreqTrans in hand without aiming at any machine will bring up a screen similar to Mobile Charger, putting the Handheld Device into a slot will result in a FAIFS (fully automatic instant frequency switch), IF you have a frequency of a Relay stored inside.

As to exploration... just like normal maps, or some kind of high-EU consuming scanning? (perhaps only available with satellite, requires the bottom setup with MFSU and a long 10 MC-day chargeup? although, "exploring" ungenerated chunks might be a hard rock...)

• NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL OF PROGRAMMING. just common sense. how would it be cpu intensive? i know the coding would be hard, but how would doing a few updates kill the cpu? on the stationary one that sends a signal, just make it like wireless redstone and when someone switches to your frequency updates their gps once, and when they switch, lets the stationary thing know, and clears their map. (for some reason i cant remember all the details of it, so think of this as changing some things...) and i heard alblaka said he might add wireless energy transfer.. so.. make the gps's have no power, but relies on the transmitter that sends the map info out.it would have a little storage of 40 eus, using 1 eu/s(ALWAYS) but you can make the transmitter public or private. this may be a bit hard to code.. but maybe have the signal and a password? but if someone clicks the transmitter with a freqtrans, it "hacks" it and lets their gps use it. and could you add jammers? if you power one, it blocks the transmitters near it, and drains everyone's gps within 200m.