Multiple MFSUs, merging output.

• Hi there,

I've been toying around with IndustrialCraft² for roughly a month now and am enjoying it thoroughly (I much prefer machines over alchemy). I'm at a stage now where I'm feeding 2 MFSUs from my nuclear reactors and am pondering how to merge both their outputs into a high voltage (512EU/t) line, which will then be feed to my branches of machines.

I encountered something a little strange and am unsure why it is. It seems that only 1 MFSU is being used to draw power, despite both being connected in what I thought was correct. I toyed around with several arrangements of cables, cable types, and HV transformers and still only 1 was being used.

Below I've got a screenshot of what I've currently got setup (hopefully not too comedic!). I've 90EU/t coming out of the ground and is being split into an even 45EU/t into the MFSUs. They are then connected to a HV transformer (receiving redstone,as pictured), which is connected to another HV transformer (their 3 dots are touching!), and that goes out, onto my machines.

I'm not sure if I've got the HV transformers connected correctly, or if they're even needed in the first place! After taking the screenshot I wired up a Mass Fabricator, as it was running I checked its power usage: ~1020EU/t! This left me a little baffled, as it's stated maximum input is 512EU/t.

I would love to know on the "correct" method for combining multiple MFSU power outputs into one 512EU/t line, and why only 1 MFSU was being drained. As well as any suggestions to what I'm currently doing. Thanks :)

• I don't think you'd actually need the transformers... just wire up the outputs of both MFSUs to the cable, and run it into the mass fab. Cables can handle as many EU packets of the correct size as you can send.

The mass fab can only handle 512EU packets, but I think it can accept more than one per tick (which is why you'd see ~1024EU/t there.. one for each MFSU)

• Yeah, MFSUs already output 512 EU/t so trying to convert them to 512 EU/t seems a little silly.

Though why it's only draining 1 MFSU is a little strange, it's possible that the top HVT isn't receiving redstone power... or that they both are, causing a feedback loop (the latter seems less likely) but considering your Mass Fab is receiving 1024 EU/t it would appear that everything is functioning normally... [the max 512/t for the mass fab is just the packet size, similar to how tin cables can only handle 3 EU/t but you can hook up 100+ solar panels to them and not fry the wire].
    Note: That since the input on the 2 MFSU is only 90 EU/t that once they drain the Mass Fab will only be receiving 90 EU/t even if it's in the form of 2x 512 EU packets. An alternative would be to only wire up one of the MFSUs to the Mass Fab so that one MFSU would fill up then the entire 90 EU/t would go to the second MFSU and on to the Mass Fab. *shrugs* However you want to hook it up is fine.

• It would be /so/ much easier to wire things up nicely if there were a block that; with upstream power available, it would output a redstone signal. (or vice versa)

• Yeah, I discovered that when building my wind farm. I figured - batboxes > LVT> MVT>HVT and then send it down, where an opposite HVT downsteps it into the MFSU.
    Simple on paper, until it comes time to redstone the transformers so they upstep the voltage. Putting a torch on the transformer itself won't work. Putting it on a block next to it will also apply that signal to any other adjacent machine that can be redstoned - like, a nearby batbox or one of the other transformers.
    I wound up having to jink the wire a bit instead of running it straight down from the HVT. No biggie, but trying to work out redstone from underneath a platform at the top of the sky is no fun.

• Simple on paper, until it comes time to redstone the transformers so they upstep the voltage. Putting a torch on the transformer itself won't work. Putting it on a block next to it will also apply that signal to any other adjacent machine that can be redstoned

I tried placing a switch on the unit itself, seems to ignore it!

Thanks for your input guys, I've removed the HV transformers which does greatly simplify things. Nothing has blown up too, which is always welcome. :)

• not sure about only draining one MFSU, but I realized this concept recently myself. Just for fun i had 30 or so MFSUs in a tmi world all linked up powering one Mass Fab. 16k or so of EU/t 8) . TMIed obviously, but not a bad way to store power in a legit world once you have filled up your first MFSU, just add one more. Rather than adding them in series where you wouldn't gain any energy increase/t

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

• not sure about only draining one MFSU, but I realized this concept recently myself. Just for fun i had 30 or so MFSUs in a tmi world all linked up powering one Mass Fab. 16k or so of EU/t 8) . TMIed obviously, but not a bad way to store power in a legit world once you have filled up your first MFSU, just add one more. Rather than adding them in series where you wouldn't gain any energy increase/t

Well, the advantage to putting them in series is that it's cheaper and smaller, since you don't have to put wires in between. :) I can't actually think of anything other than a mass fab where I'd be able to use more than 512EU/t in one place like that...