Suggestion: CF stuff

• I'm a simple guy with simple needs. And the simplest need I have right now is to be able to make CF stairs... or slabs... but mainly stairs. Since CF is not your typical block, what I suggest is a new tool, to go with that handy dandy sprayer! The CHISEL!!! Once your CF has hardened, you may use your chisel on the Wall. First use of the chisel turns it into stairs (Removing 1/4 of the block), and using it on your stairs would turn it into a slab (Another 1/4 of the original block). I just really want to be able to make my factories out of this stuff, but I always am in need o stairs or slabs for the final touch, and then I'm only left with dull, grey BORING stone brick stairs and slabs.. because that's the closest you can get to CF Walls at the moment. :S

Please think about it. I really would like to have colorable stairs and slabs. :thumbup:

• Official Post

Would require another block ID for each sort of CF Block, unless we make them unpaintable, in which case i could eventually code them into a single ID.
    Did you think about using Pole-Slides instead of Stairs for vertical transport? :3

• I gotta be honest... I've been using scaffolding for vertical transport ever since I discovered the things! But I really would like to move back to stairs... and some nice bright red stairs would do just the trick! :) You've spoiled me with these scaffolds... I never leave my base without a stack, just in case.

As for the predicament... sounds like you're using damage values for the colors.. meaning in order to have these go under the same ID, it'd have to be special case handling and you'd be using a ton of damage values to cram 3 whole blocks of that many different colors under a single ID. I doubt other Mods would take kindly to that lol

I really would like them colorable if they do end up making it in, though. :3

• Official Post

I've got no clue, but Eloraam stated she's using some extremely complicated boolean algorythms or similar stuff.
    For me, there are 3 levels:

Block IDs, granting full options for customization
    Metadta, 16 objects, but they need, by engine, to have the same physical attributes (Hardness, Light level etc)
    TEDate, unlimited amount of objects, but strictly limited in regard of common attributes.

Afaik RP is using latter one for (f.e.)all circuits, because they all share the exactly same attributes.
    However, TEData-Blocks have the disadvantage of being more CPU and storage-intensive (to be exact a TE Block is about ~100 times more RAM-using then a normal one). Which is the reason why "common build blocks" like CF Foam are coded without TEs.
    I think i COULD try to code all reinforced blocks+doors+stairs+slaps+sameForCF into a single ID. But it would cause the CPU effect of a furnace for every single placed block.

• So in short... We need better PC's to be able to make more complex blocks. Just get upgrading people and CPU isn't such a limiting factor anymore :D

What about making it optional? You add certain "designer" blocks knowing it will impact performance for those with low end PC's...?

EDIT: Off topic but... The reason high end PC's are so expensive is because so few are getting high end equipment. If more people would spend a few extra $$$ then hardware manufacturers would spend more money making new and faster hardware... faster! The more you feed into the industry the faster the industry evolves.

• Simple Solution: Make an addon for it!
    If want it/think your computer can handle it, you can install it.
    Simple. :)

The problem is that JavaVM is effectively an emulator and that Minecraft has very limited use of multiple processors. The last might be the worst as the trend in the last few years has been for slower individual processors but more processors.

• Well, the way I see it, the simplest solution would be to add 1 more block IDs for the slabs.. being that Alablaka says having their own block ID provides full customization of said block and far less intensity on the CPU. And because, well, we can still make stairs out of slabs. :)

Would this be an issue at all? I hope it won't be. :S

Oh, yes, i forgot to ask. Alblaka, what is a "Pole-Slide"? I don't see it on the wiki... I found something about an electric ladder here in the forums, but the proposed recipe for it didn't work in-game.

• Honestly it boggles the mind.

How difficult would it be to just make CF foam climbable for player entities only? Justify it as something like putting a hidden ladder face in it, or being even more similar to scaffolding.

• Official Post

Oh, yes, i forgot to ask. Alblaka, what is a "Pole-Slide"? I don't see it on the wiki... I found something about an electric ladder here in the forums, but the proposed recipe for it didn't work in-game.

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Iron_Fence ^^

Note: The wiki lacks a vital part there: A player needs to wear metallic boots to be pulled upwards :O

• So I guess this addition would go like this, you have a hardened cf block, you chisel it, it becomes a cf stair block facing you. The stair block is a new id, you chisel that stair block, it becomes a slab variant of the block. Is this what we are going for?

• Thanks, Alblaka, I did see iron fences, but the name threw me off.. I had no idea they would be used for vertical transport! Perhaps consider renaming them? I'd have to play around with them first, but if they actually do serve as a fence and not just a means of vertical transport then never mind. ^^

So I guess this addition would go like this, you have a hardened cf block, you chisel it, it becomes a cf stair block facing you. The stair block is a new id, you chisel that stair block, it becomes a slab variant of the block. Is this what we are going for?

That's exactly what I'd like to see. However, if implementing stairs would consume too many block IDs (requiring 1 ID per stair facing direction) I wouldn't mind just having slabs. Performance on my machine is iffy at best already. :S

• Thanks, Alblaka, I did see iron fences, but the name threw me off.. I had no idea they would be used for vertical transport! Perhaps consider renaming them? I'd have to play around with them first, but if they actually do serve as a fence and not just a means of vertical transport then never mind. ^^

The Iron Fences do act as fences, but when placed vertically (20 fences max), then attached to a Magnetizer and wearing metal boots (Iron, gold, bronze (I think), nano, and Quantum) you will shoot up the pole, and shift-walk (sneak) into the pole to go down.