• I just want to say firstly, "lmao" at the guy asking when IC2 is coming to mc 1.0 -- the day it is updated. Is it really that hard to look in the Public Releases?

Second, I'm wondering how much of the actual code has been changed to "port" IC to 1.0
    More importantly, is it backward compatible with 1.23 addons or will they also need to be updated like mc mods when a new version of mc is released. Sorry If this is a stupid question, I'm just curious as to how much of the code has actually been changed, or if it is simply just a port to 1.0 with much of the classes remaining the same.

Lastly, thank you for this amazing mod. I cannot play MC without it. IMO, this should definitely have been implemented in the Release of MC. Keep up the amazing work.

Thank you in advance for your time.

• Official Post

If your that "lmao" about the guy who didn't read, you really shouldn't ask that second question for yourself, i've given loads of informationr egarding the current progress all over the forum.
    (Except your question was meant to be like "how much code has to be changed for porting IC² to 1.0" in which case you should worry about your grammar and would get the answer "Can't tell yet".)

The next question of yours is kinda dumb as well, as the obfuscation changes every major update, it's impossible for mods to be "backwards" compatible, regardless of their size or whether they are extending a mod's function. What do ya think why we need to port IC² every time?

• I think he was asking more about the 'mods' to IC2; EG the 'addons'.

I think my guess at this is; it depends. If it /just/ mods IC2, which isn't obfuscated, (just byte compiled) then probably it will only need to be updated if those interfaces within IC2 change.

I imagine if the wrench code is modified to make it's success rate a config file option that would break the 100% wrench rate modification. However at the same time adding wrench rate config options for the disposable and electric wrenches would obsolete that addon.

• I think he was asking more about the 'mods' to IC2; EG the 'addons'.

I think my guess at this is; it depends. If it /just/ mods IC2, which isn't obfuscated, (just byte compiled) then probably it will only need to be updated if those interfaces within IC2 change.

I imagine if the wrench code is modified to make it's success rate a config file option that would break the 100% wrench rate modification. However at the same time adding wrench rate config options for the disposable and electric wrenches would obsolete that addon.

Exactly what I'm asking.. I thought I was pretty clear with my questioning.. I'm assuming Alblaka is a little stressed lately, so I don't take it to heart but I said I have absolutely no modding experience, and as far as JAVA is concerned, I took Intro to java in grade 9, and really struggled with it so, you'll have to excuse me if I'm a little "noob" with these things.. I couldn't find any information in regards to whether or not IC2 1.23 addons (IC efficiency, and 100% Wrench Rate to be more specific) would still be compatible with the newer 1.0 version, and I figured if most of the .class files were still the same (seeing as how it edits barely any, (if any at all) default minecraft classes), addons such as ICefficiency, and 100% wrench rate may not even have to be ported... As I said, I am sory if this is a dumb question, but I wasn't able to find this information elsewhere... Excuse me if it was. I apologize, and I hope you aren't too stressed with all the updates and shit Alblaka.. Good luck, and keep up the great work. I love this mod.

PS. The guy asked when IC2 would be updated for MC 1.0, and there was just an announcement made regarding it. As far as I can tell, there has been no discussion as to whether or not .class files; that aren't default Minecraft classes (ie. TileEntityElectricBlock.class -- which has nothing to do with what has been changed in MC 1.0), need to be updated in order for an addon to be compatible with the new IC version. I simply assumed if many of the IC2 classes remained the same, that most of the addons would still be compatible with the new version.. As far as I can tell, the reason mods needs to be "ported" to new [MC] versions is that many of the default class names change every time MC is updated.. Using general logic (as I have no java modding experience/knowledge) I would think that unless the class names change in an update, they dont need to be edited to update the mod. Again, I am only speculating as I honestly don't know. Again, sorry if I offended you Alblaka. I try to use perfect grammar at all times, as english is my native language (be it canadian english, 'eh. :)) I am honestly sorry if my post was a little confusing.. It's hard to say what I'm thinking regarding class files, modding, etc. when I know f___-all about it.. I'm just gonna shut up now. :p

Keep up the amazing work. :)

Edit: The Wrench Rate tweak simply makes the wrench 'never' fail for moving machines.. It doesnt add any configuration. I figured such a simple tweak may not need to be updated, so long as the wrench still functions the same way in the new IC 1.0 -- again, coming back to my thought that most of the IC2 code has probably not been changed much -- just changed to work with 1.0 -- I probably should have just tried the IC2 1.23 addons with the new version myself instead of askin.. Now I just feel dumb.. lol

Thanks again guys.

~Peace

• Official Post

Not stressed off, but kinda annoyed by somebody ranting about somebody else's questions while asking crappy ones himself.

And, to yet repeat myself and make it more clear: EVERY sort of mod needs to be updated whenever minecraft receives any sort of major update due to the obfuscation changes.
    Even classes exclusively modifying the IC code, because the IC code itself still contains references to MC (duh, otherwise it wouldnt be a mod) which need to be updated as well.

The only exception from this rule are MINOR updates, which do not add any new class files and leave most class files untouched. In this case, some mods/addons may not require updating, depending on whether any of the classes they refer to were changed. This did, however, only happen twice in the whole history of MC modding since 1.3, if i remember correctly, and only applied to a few mods on MCF.

PS: Actually i'm not sure, whether I AM eventually a bit stressed... Actually it would be unnatural not to, after working 5 days straight all time on a damn project. Sorry if i'm getting harsh from time to time, but i still dislike people ranting about guy G doing Z while doing Z themselves.

• sometimes it's better to be a bit harsh then keeping it in (there was going to be a smiley here)