Suggestion:Drawbridge

• What do you think of the concept? 15

1. It sounds great (6) 40%
    2. Its ok (4) 27%
    3. Not interested (3) 20%
    4. Its a useless idea (2) 13%

I was thinking of having a drawbridge block added to ic2. It would basically work like a miner turned sideways, extending instead of a pipe, crafted drawbridge blocks, that push out of the drawbridge generator when some sort of input is given, and when the input is taken away, the drawbridge segments would be pulled back into the drawbridge spawner block. The spawner block would be a simple machine block with one side being the output face with the top half being the area the bridge segments come out of, on the opposite side would be an input face that looks similar to the output face but with some defining feature from the output. The spawner would have its output face changed like all other blocks, except for pointing up and down, unless maybe if the bridge units were to be made climbable(not really necessary). The bridge blocks could have various versions that have different max lengths and durability, say wood, stone, iron, and at the highest tier would be bridge segments made from alloys, of which it would be possible to make ridiculously long spans from a single spawner. The bridge blocks themselves would probably look like a thin layer of the material on top and some scaffold like supports underneath, taking up the top half of the block like an inverted slab. You cannot place any other transparent blocks on them like scaffolds. If bridge blocks are pushed into the side opposite of the output face, it would signal that bridge builder to start building, basically turning it into an island to reinforce the bridge. The bridge spawners would probably take up a moderate amount of eu/s, the amount controlling the speed.

• Floodgate I am pretty sure does this kinda of effect, and this seems rather low tech for industrialcraft. I suggest you try out the force-field addon, and make a force-bridge.

• Does the floodgate make a long bridge that can be retracted at the flip of a switch and there are no outriggers around the bridge to make it work? Also, doesn't the forcefield basically require teir 3 equipment to run?

• I miss the old drawbridge from medieval craft. Not sure if it would edit base classes, but would love to have it again.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Floodgate I am pretty sure does this kinda of effect, and this seems rather low tech for industrialcraft. I suggest you try out the force-field addon, and make a force-bridge.

Didn't the forcefield zap you? I thought of making a mob grinder floor with a small one hoping the items would survive. Never got to test it yet though.

Also about the drawbridge, rs running over / into the spawner block makes it extend as much space / blocks are available, missing rs starts retracting. Needs to be supplied with some EU to do either. Spawned blocktype maybe settable by giving it a stack into a slot in it's gui?
    And since I don't know if you meant a joint-point lifting drawbridge (x| x/ x_) or a simplified version with just works like a piston magazine combo in one block (x- x-- x---). If the latter please also vertical placement to allow huge gates :D
    I'd say go for huge gates, it wouldn't be far off of IC's feel ^^

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• To reword what I said. The drawbridge would be like a cobblestone generator from the earlier versions of minecraft, except its industrial and it retracts the blocks back into itself, and has a finite range depending on what material the bridge blocks are crafted with.

• To reword what I said. The drawbridge would be like a cobblestone generator from the earlier versions of minecraft, except its industrial and it retracts the blocks back into itself, and has a finite range depending on what material the bridge blocks are crafted with.

sounds like it would also make nice gates and hangar doors :3 I want that :D

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• Sorry, Wrong mod. Its the bridge block mod,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw7PNhk8v3U
    And apperently is not updated for the latest version. Also, Apperently it may be implemented into official minecraft at some point

Didn't the forcefield zap you? I thought of making a mob grinder floor with a small one hoping the items would survive. Never got to test it yet though.

Also about the drawbridge, rs running over / into the spawner block makes it extend as much space / blocks are available, missing rs starts retracting. Needs to be supplied with some EU to do either. Spawned blocktype maybe settable by giving it a stack into a slot in it's gui?
    And since I don't know if you meant a joint-point lifting drawbridge (x| x/ x_) or a simplified version with just works like a piston magazine combo in one block (x- x-- x---). If the latter please also vertical placement to allow huge gates :D
    I'd say go for huge gates, it wouldn't be far off of IC's feel ^^

Kinda, The Ic1 forcefield It would certainly try to suffocate you, due to (I think) being a 'solid' block with a lesser collision size. However, the force-field addon for Ic2, would not, It is far more customizable, and seriously, just try it out, it works fine, and like would, like I said, be a High tech bridge.

• Sorry, Wrong mod. Its the bridge block mod,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw7PNhk8v3U
    And apperently is not updated for the latest version. Also, Apperently it may be implemented into official minecraft at some point

Kinda, The Ic1 forcefield It would certainly try to suffocate you, due to (I think) being a 'solid' block with a lesser collision size. However, the force-field addon for Ic2, would not, It is far more customizable, and seriously, just try it out, it works fine, and like would, like I said, be a High tech bridge.

But the point of this is that its easy to make and use and is a middle tech device that the common player can use shortly after making their first few rechargable batteries. Not after building one or more full size nuclear reactor and a mass fabricator. Also, I would be willing to come up with some rough drafts of the look of both the spawner block and maybe one of the bridge block types to better convey what it would look like and how it would work. Also, that looks too much like the floodgates, which I already discussed.

• I'm not sure about how /low/ tech it will be... but maybe the frames that RP2 ( http://www.eloraam.com/ ) will be releasing in the next version (next day or two is the current expectation for release, might be longer) could be used to create a bridge that /moves/ from one area to another.

• I'm not sure about how /low/ tech it will be... but maybe the frames that RP2 ( http://www.eloraam.com/ ) will be releasing in the next version (next day or two is the current expectation for release, might be longer) could be used to create a bridge that /moves/ from one area to another.

Low tech as in being able to make one immediatley after you have made a power grid with batboxes and generators. This would be a simple utility that is realistic to use early on, within your first week in the map.

• Yeah, I'm not sure how realistic that would be... seems like it might /just/ be possible... I can see those requiring power (without converters bluetricity from RP2 solar panels; requires 8 brick blocks for the alloy furnace), but am unsure how much or what recipes would be involved for the components.

• Can drop it in as a new machine somewhen later, not a big issue :3

That would be......AWESOME!
    I feel with a bit of IC2 styling, that this could actually be a very good addition. Hangar doors, automatic lockdown roofs for solars at night, (yes glass, but pvp/nuclear meltdown?) and so may other things could come from this. +1

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• So I guess this suggestion has been taken and it will be implemented in a future IC2 version?

Absolutely, look forwards to it sometime next week!
    Without bugs to boot!
    And it will also function like a TBM!
    Hayo!

*Spoiler alert*