When to use Extreme Voltage?

• Hey, look who just rode in! Ir's the One T-Rick Pony! :rolleyes:

When he doesn't understand what someone's trying to say, he'll drag it into every thread he can! "Look at ME!" shouts the One T-Rick Pony.
    What's the matter, did you get lonely because no one wanted to discuss the issue any longer?

Let's hear three cheers for the Sore Winner!

Why don't you simply ignore him? You seem to have a level head when you can make a (somewhat valid) point but when you have nothing to say you say just about anything. Childish...

• "Childish" was his interjection. I tried to ignore him... it doesn't work. So ridicule is the best option. As I said, I'm just giving him enough rope.

• Hey, look who just rode in! Ir's the One T-Rick Pony! :rolleyes:

When he doesn't understand what someone's trying to say, he'll drag it into every thread he can! "Look at ME!" shouts the One T-Rick Pony.
    What's the matter, did you get lonely because no one wanted to discuss the issue any longer?

Let's hear three cheers for the Sore Winner!

Nice troll post that is why cant you just accept you where wrong?

• Look - i told you that you can be right and you still don't seem to understand.
    So the real issue is that you obviously don't comprehend simple English - so kindly shut up and go away.

You're not satisfied with being right, so don't talk to me about trolling. You're not even on-topic here. If you want to continue, talk to yourself in the proper topic.

• Yeah, I just blocked him now - he can talk to himself for all I care. He doesn't want to understand, he just wants attention.
    He can get it from Mom and Dad - they obviously owe him for many years of holding back.

• I guess the Block User function doesn't work.
    Please, Rick, report me. Then they can see how you won't let it go. Are you done yet?

• I guess the Block User function doesn't work.
    Please, Rick, report me. Then they can see how you won't let it go. Are you done yet?

yupyup.. Rick fails at basic math and is one of those can't lose an argument people... would have been banned a long time ago on the other board I frequent.
    I just haven't bothered reporting "him" yet.

• Official Post

Extreme Voltages are useful when transporting high amounts of energy for great distances. [Wind farm is an example]

Tip: If you have lots of resources you can use 1.337 special cables (EU-Splitter is cheaper than detector) instead of 4xins HV cable.
    Special cables carry up to Extreme Voltage and has EU distance loss equal to tin cables. [39 cables before losing one EU]

• ]/facepalm
    Rick is not RawCode learn to read.

oh really? you still fail at math and are one of the can't lose an argument people:

Actualy iam pretty sure they would go from 128 to 0 with 80% loss on low voltage using cobber cables. Funny thing is through even then in this extreme situation windgens make 0.4 eu/tick average which is almost equaly to solars. If you count in the cost of solars then windgens are always better.

/\ math FAIL. there's no way one can go that far on copper without "repeaters" given it's loss rate (.2 EU/block)

• /\ math FAIL. there's no way one can go that far on copper without "repeaters" given it's loss rate (.2 EU/block)

32eU / 0.2 = 160 blocks before nil-charge.

128 * 0.8 = 25.6 eU lost out of 32 eU/t; this assumes you're using an initial batbox buffer or a transformer to step down local storage at the windfarm level before transmission. (actually a step up/down would probably buffer it sufficiently).

• It's worth pointing out that, given that amount of loss, if you're dead set on using copper wiring, you might as well just place the wind mills 4 blocks above the destination instead.
    I'm pretty sure they'd still generate more power that way, over running that much loss through a very long wire.

Or, you could just go with a wire that's made for the job. :)

• Special cables carry up to Extreme Voltage and has EU distance loss equal to tin cables. [39 cables before losing one EU]

You've mentioned this in 2 threads now. But I checked the wiki (which knows everything, right?) and it says they go up to HV (512) without blowing. Have you tested them out in the current version of IC2? I'd love to know absoultely for sure because that would be something I'd like to use. (Ouch, at double the cost)

• 1 pulse of 2048 eu with a 100 block long wire means 100 eu loss per 2048 packet which is less than 5% total loss

Now for the funny part:
    16 pulses (16*128 = 2048 ) of 128 eu with a 100 block long wire means 40 eu loss per 128 packket which is 31,25% total loss (over 6 times as much loss than with HV cables)

HV better, maths rule and you suck at maths

100 block HV cable that is uninsulated yes.
    The loss is 4.88% on uninsulated HV cable.
    With 4x insulation you lose 80 EU per 2048 packet and that is a 3.91% loss.

• Hello. Well, it may not be the quickest reply, but i just found this thread and i was wondering if really 2 transformers are needed to keep EUs untouched. So i tried quite long setup with 1 solar generator connected to 60 blocks long copper cable, where i put single(3-dotted side facing generator) LVT every 5 blocks (4 Copper cables between 2 LVTs) and BatBox being the 60th block in setup. BatBox was actually recieving power (32EU every 32 ticks) during the day. That means such setup is working with 100% efficiency.

I did some calculations.
    Let there be 61 blocks long setup where generator is 0th block and storage device is 60th block.

for LV you would need:
    - 48x coper cable
    - 11x LVT
    - any storage device
    which is 69x Copper bar + 70x rubber + 11x wood (increasing cost) (wood is very easy to obtain)

for EV you would need:
    - 2x HVT
    - 57x Triple ins. HV cable
    - storage device that supports 512EU/t or another transformers
    which is 15x refined iron bar + 171x rubber (increasing cost) +18x refined iron bar + 20x rubber + 20x redstone + 12x copper bar + 2x diamond (stable cost)
    and output is 512EU/t which needs additional resources depending on final solution (be it tansformers with BatBox OR MFSU)

I didnt include storage devices or other transformers because sooner or later everyone will get MFSU which can be directly connected to both setups.

It looks like LV solution is cheaper in this case, however for longer distances EV appears to be more efficient since copper cable is 4x as expensive as HV cable + (rubber wood is renewable/farmable resource) and only 2 HVTs are always needed - thus resource cost for theese does not increase with distance.

Few factors can have influence over your decision:
    1st factor - cost over distance (24x copper / 5x iron - over 20blocks )(+lightblue cost for every EV setup)
    2nd factor - overall efficiency (100% for copper / decreasing with distance for EV)(10% decrease every 256 blocks down to 0%)
    3rd factor - maximal throughput(flow) for both systems without additional costs (128EU/t for copper / 2048EU/t for EV)
    additional factor is material (as copper is better option earlygame)

Final statement: read this and decide.

Phew, i hope that helps a little. I became really interested in this. I also hope all my numbers are correct, if not, please provide correct values as im not going to calculate all this again.
    Thank you.

Pardon my english please.

Edit: fixed numbers and stuff

• 3rd factor - maximal input for both systems without additional costs (128EU/t for copper / 512EU/t for EV)
    additional factor is material (as copper is better option earlygame)

An additional caveat:

Maximum EU/t throughput

Using TFs to reboost your signal works great and can be cheap, but their throughput is strictly limited by the EU/t rating of the high side.
    In the case of the copper wire reboosted by LVTFs, your maximum throughput is 128EU/t, since that's the maximum an LVTF will let through.
    Wire itself (ANY wire) has no throughput limit, only packet size limit. I've had 800EU/t over tin (with 1 EU/t packets), and 20,000EU/t over glass (with 512EU/t packets).

I'll definitely agree the chain of copper/LVTF is a good option early in the game for lossless transmission of up to 128 EU/t (since you always have surplus copper anyway), but if you need more throughput than that, there are other lossless options:

EV works fine if you don't mind the slight loss... but if you really want your wire to be lossless, you can get EV throughput over glass using basically the same method as above, but with EVTFs and glass fibre. Glass fibre line with EVTFs every 40 blocks allows indefinite lossless transmission of up to 2048EU/t.
    It's very expensive, obviously, and most certainly wouldn't be worth it in the majority of cases... (per 40 blocks distance we're talking 11 diamonds to prevent barely 1% loss) ...but it's a nice option for the perfectionists out there.

• *snip*

I think you forgot to mention the added benefit of 600,000 EU (or 10 million with MFSU's) storage over just 40,000 EU storage with a LV system. I use MFE's/MFSU's to store power in, not to transmit power over long distances.
    Now, since i already have HV i might as well convert it to EV for long distance transfer.

• (per 40 blocks distance we're talking 11 diamonds to prevent barely 1% loss)

Actually... there is no loss up to 40 block using glass fibre (40th block is storage device or HVT). With 512EU/p there is 1EU loss every 40 blocks which is barely 0.2% of total package. But this method is so expensive it's in my opinion not worth it. ** 10 diamonds **

I'll definitely agree the chain of copper/LVTF is a good option early in the game for lossless transmission of up to 128 EU/t

I think i should use EU/p instead. There is an easy way to connect 512EU/p input into copper network, MVT at the beginning would do just fine. It costs 8x refined iron bar + 2x copper cable and tadaa ! 512EU/p input copper system created.
    Edit: I see that LV system really has 128EU/t limit and a little bottlenecking occurs there, but it can be modified to eliminate that(however it's far too expensive).LVT is apparently not able to process 4 packs of 128EU to 16 packs of 32EU in one tick.

I did not mention glass fibre earlier because i think it's simply too expensive to use in long(OK... let that be 40+) wiring. At least compared to its cost.