[Mod Idea] TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine)

• how does the control block know what blocks are part of the machine or not?

I'm going to assume that the TBM acts as a block built entity similar to the reactor. So, to hazard a guess is that the Control Block looks for specific blocks and adds them to the entity itself, again like the reactor and it's chambers.

• I would like to see this in IC2 as an end game product. it gives me something to work toward. sure I could use a filler or quarry. but they stay in one place and you have to move it when your done. this moves itself!

• I would like to see this in IC2 as an end game product. it gives me something to work toward. sure I could use a filler or quarry. but they stay in one place and you have to move it when your done. this moves itself!

Plus you could use it to create tunnels for your rail/metro systems !

• If its part of TBM mod then it is part of the machine.
    Else only glass and iron blocks are taken along too.

Iron bars as well would be nice.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• I was looking around in the IC2 add-on mod and i really like this. You can do a lot of thing with it. No mrre digging by hand or by quary. It's EPIC. I want to play it NOW. :)

• I was looking around in the IC2 add-on mod and i really like this. You can do a lot of thing with it. No mrre digging by hand or by quary. It's EPIC. I want to play it NOW. :)

its been a really long time since anyone said anything about it, which is a shame, since the videos are fraking awesome! Oh well, I'll wait and see if this addon ever sees the light of day...

• The main reason no has commented in a while is that its not out. If it was poeple will be here all the time giving good comments and feed back.

• TBM is already in RailCraft.

Industrial Craft doesn't need this..

edit.
    How ever I always support ideas when it involves other mods have to use EU's to power stuff..

• Yes, IndustrialCraft DOES need this. It's not simply the fact that it can build MUCH MUCH bigger tunnels than Railcrafts can, potentially up to digging out tunnels big enough to fit big assed buildings in, its the fact that it also acts much like the Zepplin Mod did....only on land!

• You OBVIOUSLY haven't watched the videos. This thing can do a lot more than the simple tunnel bore from RailCraft. You can use this thing to make buildings if you wanted.

Hell, you could make underground cities in a single pass if you had it set up to do that!

• How about a way to save the layout of a TBM in human-readable format and a way to auto-assemble/disassemble it? This could allow you to make a TBM out of any type of block (I assume that atm it's limited to glass and iron due to other blocks risk being brought along unintentionally) since the layout is explicitly defined, allow people to share their machines, more automation etc. The "construction yard" could be something resembling the buildcraft quarry. You make a cubical frame and the machine is built inside it. Most notably, you could design a machine outside of the game, perhaps aided by some tool with a graphic preview.

Tons of features could be implemented through the save feature, like adding custom paintjobs (think sprites possibly covering more than one block), graphical objects from render files at specific location (creeper hides on mah big evil drill!), maybe even with an animation, maybe even permit fully custom render files. This introduces security concerns, since clients need to download stuff from the server (one could probably embed a virus in a custom render file). You could generate the basic structure locally from block data and ask the user if he/she wants to download the additional graphical content. You could also simply be forced to manually download TBM plans and your client will calculate an md5 hash or something off the file. When you build a certain TBM you send the hash to the server and the server relays it to the other clients. They then proceed to check if they have the hash (and therefore probably also the machine in question) and if so render it and if not notifies the player. Additionally the server could keep a list of "trusted" TBM schematics and if a client lacks a TBM schematic the server offers to send it to the client in question, with the logic that while you shouldn't trust the other clients you may trust the server. Furthermore you may trust specific players, so you could keep a whitelist of players whom you will automatically download TBM schematics from through a P2P connection (P2P to prevent people from shuffling over-sized schematics through the server and thus flood the connection). This will only be preformed on servers which you have whitelisted, since even though you may trust the player, the server may lie about the IP it sends which you make a P2P connection to really being that player.

Also, extending the concept of a frame (and going a bit wild with the ideas), how about the ability to build a frame around a volume, add some engines and attach a controller and then every block within the frame is considered part of the TBM. Basically, you build one around your base and suddenly you can move your entire base. This would at least require the ability to move backward and sideways, but that shouldn't be too difficult (relatively speaking) to implement. Vertical movement may be more tricky, especially moving up, as in how to make it seem a little bit realistic (as in big volcano evil fortresses can't fly just because you put threads on them). One could have a layer of something like pistons (some industrial high-power variant) which pushes the thing up one or more blocks when encountering an obstacle and then the machine continues forward, leaving the pistons stationary. When a piston passes outside the area the machine occupies it is removed and replaced at the front of the machine. Different pistons could provide different lifting height and power, height enabling it to scale steeper slopes and power determining if it can be lifted (implementing the concept of weight, which you already seem to have done).

Of course this is just wild speculation and wishful thinking. I just got so excited when I saw the video.

• I have the feeling that this Mod is dead.... I mean, it was originally prototyped back in 1.0, and we're on 1.2.4 now, plus the creator hasn't said a peep for quite a while...

• Dude, with RP2 adding Frames, Tunnel Bores with much more flexibility and functionality can now be created. I had made an attempt porting this mod to 1.25 from 1.1, however I only managed to resolve about 3/4 of the errors recompiling spat out. It will take someone with more experience than me to port this.

• Dude, with RP2 adding Frames, Tunnel Bores with much more flexibility and functionality can now be created. I had made an attempt porting this mod to 1.25 from 1.1, however I only managed to resolve about 3/4 of the errors recompiling spat out. It will take someone with more experience than me to port this.

Looks like someone is already taking care of this.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/…109-125-tbm-mod-rebooted/

I actually registered today (after lurking for quite a while) to share this with you guys.

• steves carts has some amazing tunnel boring machines ; you can make track laying, bridge gaps, tunnel down to a specific depth, 7? wide, with torches placed down the entire length of the tunnel, and liquids are avoided.