Suggestion: Ore only mod to prepare 1.0.0 worlds for later IC2 use

• RP2 releasing for 1.0.x and not yet having any reply to my question on it about 1.8.1 is weighing heavily on me. I'm seriously thinking of restating my server on 1.0.x and adding IC2 after it catches up. However my past experience in forward porting areas is that 'it really sucks'.

Is there already a more generic existing mod to add in the non-renewable features (ores) in advance? Would it be difficult to make a mod that /only/ adds the placeholder ores at their correct depths and density? Well, it would be nice if it also added them to the Oredict.

• Both RedPower and Forestry are available for 1.0 - each of them has Copper and Tin. The only things you wouldn't have are uranium and rubber (dunno how RP rubber trees work).

• RP rubber tree are massive trees that turn the forest into a jungle... they're strange, but they do make great treehouses. ^^

• Indeed, there is currently no way within RP2 to construct rubber; this could leave someone at a catch 22 until they venture far enough to spawn an IC2 rubber tree.

Which is why I proposed this (before rubber tree frequency in forest biomes seems to have gone up with the 1.337 version): http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=2996

However it's easy enough for a server admin to /give out a few saplings; it's much harder to add new ores.

• Well, to answer the question. Yes, it is possible to add the ores in advance and no, you don't need oredict for them unless you intend to macerate them into dusts before they have a use. If you are to simply store the blocks somewhere until the appropriate mods are added then all is good.
    Problem is though that you need to generate the exact ores you need. For example, ID 247 for uranium. And if those id's where to change then your map would be useless.
    And even harder is generating RP2 ores since they share the same ID and you have to attach meta data to those blocks. I am not familiar with those so i can't help you there.

When you install the appropriate mods you (obviously) remove the placeholder mod. All the blocks that belonged to the placeholder mod is now valid for the mod you intended to use.

EDIT:

On a side note, it is also technically possible to generate the ores AFTER a map has been generated. Simply making a replacer mod or application that takes all generated chunks and starts generating ores in them (Ores are created by replacing smooth stone with the appropriate ore in MC FYI)
    OFC, this means any building made out of smooth stone is subject to this ore generation. As such, your smooth stone castle will suddenly have all kinds of ores in it's walls.

• The evil mage cast a curse; it's turning parts of our lovely smoothstone walls in to semi-precious metals!

However it would be even better if the quantity of RP2 copper/tin were increased in the areas it would traditionally overlap, and also uranium were added as one of the damage values; Then 3 IDs IC2 were using could be freed. Hence the suggestion for having ore+dammage value added to Forge instead of keeping it locked up in RP2.

• I meant, I don't think they actually make rubber.

umm rp2 uses dictionary for rubberwood - so yes you can make rubber with rp2 rubber trees - i do it all the time now i farm those trees and put them into the compressor/extractor(forget which one). Im sure you could just save the rubberwood and then use it when ic2 comes out for 1.0. Why would she put in "rubbertrees" if they didnt make rubber? Well, its a feature unavailable yet but will be to replace wool in her recipes for now she lets ic2 do the job. It will be used to make blue allloy wire, and im sure ic2 rubber/rp rubber will be the same like tin/copper.

God blesses the child that can hold its own.

• yes you can make rubber with rp2 rubber trees - i do it all the time now i farm those trees and put them into the extractor. Im sure you could just save the rubberwood and then use it when ic2 comes out for 1.0.

To make an extractor, you need a Circuit. To make a circuit, you need 6 rubber.
    Therefore, unless and until you can find IC2 Rubber Trees to tap, you cannot make rubber from RP2 Rubber Wood.
    Is the issue clearer now?

• To make an extractor, you need a Circuit. To make a circuit, you need 6 rubber.
    Therefore, unless and until you can find IC2 Rubber Trees to tap, you cannot make rubber from RP2 Rubber Wood.
    Is the issue clearer now?

Oh it's even worse than that; you also need rubber (exactly 1!) in order to make a /generator/ and you need one of those to make power of any kind; which is required for either extracting (to make rubber) OR for creating coal-dust to make batteries to power your extractor. So yes; until RP2 adds some process for producing rubber entirely within that mod...

However as stated far earlier, the issue is less with rubber (which is renewable if annoying) which is relatively easy to introduce; and far more with the lack of ores.

• The only ore you'd be missing right now in a 1.0 world is uranium. If you're running RedPower or Forestry, you've got the tin and copper. If not, you're likely not playing in 1.0 at all yet.

• Take a look at nbtoolkit: http://www.minecraftforum.net/…res-to-old-maps-and-more/

It will allow you to add ores to an existing map, specifying min/max height, number/size of deposits per chunk, that certain block ids shouldn't be replaced, etc. Data values, too.

I've used this quite often to purge chunks on SMP maps and never had a problem.

Here are the options for the oregen mode:

• The only ore you'd be missing right now in a 1.0 world is uranium. If you're running RedPower or Forestry, you've got the tin and copper. If not, you're likely not playing in 1.0 at all yet.

The issue with using just ONE ore gen is it has the same effect as installing Forestry, RP2 and IC2 and disabling Copper and Tin generation on two of those mods. You only get enough copper and tin to meet demands for one mod.
    I have disabled the generation of copper and tin because i am using my own ore generation code and as such only want ONE source of those ores. Further more, RP2's copper/tin is not the same block ID as IC2's copper/tin and you suddenly have 2 stacks of say copper that you cannot merge in your inventory. It's pretty hard to tell which blocks belong to which mod but once you are able to tell them apart you are constantly thinking "this is an RP2 ore, this is an IC2 ore... Which should i mine now and which should i leave for later to save inventory space?"

• If you're saving them to macerate, it doesn't matter - they're unused and once you have IC, dust is dust.
    If you're smelting them for immediate use, it doesn't matter - the ingots are identical and they do stack.

• If you're saving them to macerate, it doesn't matter - they're unused and once you have IC, dust is dust.
    If you're smelting them for immediate use, it doesn't matter - the ingots are identical and they do stack.

yep but the problem is when I mine i do so until my inventory is full. Having one stack of 10 RP2 copper and another stack with 24 IC2 copper is wasteful when both could be a single stack of 34 IC2 copper. Hence why i disable RP2 and Forestry Copper and tin generation.

• That's fine - still, no matter which you use, you've got the ores you need. We're talking about making a 1.0 world that's ready to add in IC2 - obviously, you want either Forestry or RP ore generation in it, might as well go with RP so that you have the other mod-specific resources.

• That's fine - still, no matter which you use, you've got the ores you need. We're talking about making a 1.0 world that's ready to add in IC2 - obviously, you want either Forestry or RP ore generation in it, might as well go with RP so that you have the other mod-specific resources.

Yes, then you turn off copper and tin generation in IC2 right?
    Thing is, you CANT turn off specific ore generation in IC2... So if you use RP2 copper and tin generation and then install IC2 after you created the world you will now have RP2 ores and IC2 ores in newly generated chunks.
    You can however turn off copper and tin generation in RP2 and Forestry!
    Anything else?

• Yes actually;

http://www.eloraam.com/?p=218#comment-4201

One feature that I think would be -extremely- useful would be expanding Forge’s ore-dictionary to using the same damage ID multiplexing Redpower2 currently uses for ore consolidation. Add new ‘ores’ seems so common, in fact, that I think it would be a huge benefit if Forge not only handled allocating IDs, but also populating ranges with various density of ores. The interface should clearly have populating ores as a second step. This way ranges, possibly even overlapping, could be provided. (Eg, chance 1/20000 of a run length of up to N between 1 and 64 + 1/1000 for 1:40 + 1/250 for 1:20)
    It would also be awesome if the Ore Dictionary would store it’s configuration in a config file so that administrators might pre-assign ore names to IDs, and even over-ride mods from being able to add ores via this interface (so that administrator selected rules could be used instead). Further it might also allow for adding more vanilla resources in similar ways (e.g. more iron or diamond; in case you wanted to simulate a completely different type of terrain).

• [Yes, then you turn off copper and tin generation in IC2 right?
    Thing is, you CANT turn off specific ore generation in IC2... So if you use RP2 copper and tin generation and then install IC2 after you created the world you will now have RP2 ores and IC2 ores in newly generated chunks.
    You can however turn off copper and tin generation in RP2 and Forestry!

Okay, let me break it down once more, because I feel you may have missed the main thrust of the topic:

We are talking about playing in a 1.0 world before IC2, and having the needed resources in your current chunks.
    The inability to disable ore generation in IC2, and your concern over duplication of ores, is irrelevant because IC2 is not part of the setup.
    If you were to disable RP2 and Forestry ore generation, you'd have nothing - and might as well not bother.

So... when IC2 makes it to 1.0, you then go in and disable the generation of other ores. You don't have to worry about ore duplication in the chunks you've already spawned because that was before IC2 (and so no IC2 ores were generated there). You don't have to worry about ore duplication in new chunks because only IC2 ores will spawn there.

And you don't have to worry about inventory management of two types of ore because once you smelt or macerate them, they're the same. At any given time, you'll only be getting one "brand" of ore anyways.

So, given all of that, could you please elaborate on any remaining issues you perceive?