[Suggestion] EU Teleport Wires

• Name can vary greatly, but for people who use Buildcraft and have the add-on (forget what's it's called. Additional Pipes?), there is a teleport pipe. It's amazingly helpful and saves a ton of space.

It would be nice if this was added for having a central 'EU Hub' with Teleport wires that go to Teleporters, Tesla Coils, MINERS, etc. It would also help the Wind Generator people.

It should be expensive, lose something along the lines of .05 EU/block, and be able to hold High Voltage. Less effective then Glass Fibre, but doesn't require the actual wires everywhere.

Would probably need a GUI like the teleport pipes, or have it be another use for the FreqTrans.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• 0.05 EU/b is waaay too low.
    Further more, i don't see a reason why this should be a feature of IC2, make an addon suggestion in the addon section.
    The teleport pipes are not meant for "easy, unobstructive and cheap" transmission of items, liquids and power. They are meant to save CPU cycles and they do that well.

0.05 EU/b is waaay too low.

Depends on the cost of making the wire, does it not? Glass Fibre costs 1 Diamond for 4. Teleport Costs 2 Glass Fibre, 2 more Diamonds, and etc for 2? Can vary a lot.

Further more, i don't see a reason why this should be a feature of IC2, make an addon suggestion in the addon section.

I don't see how it can't be a feature of IC2- But that's purely opinion. And I'd rather not rely on another coder (although there are some great ones that hide around here).

The teleport pipes are not meant for "easy, unobstructive and cheap" transmission of items, liquids and power. They are meant to save CPU cycles and they do that well.

Whether they were meant for that or not- That's an amazingly good reason to use them, regardless of CPU cycles.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Depends on the cost of making the wire, does it not? Glass Fibre costs 1 Diamond for 4. Teleport Costs 2 Glass Fibre, 2 more Diamonds, and etc for 2? Can vary a lot.

Yes but you only need two of them. So if you are replacing 20 fiber cables with 2 of these 20 blocks apart then that would be 5 diamond to make 2 to make the costs even. Then consider what people would really use them for, that is transfering power over really long distances. You still only need 2 of them. Over a distance of 100 tiles at a 0.05 EU/b means you lose 5 (out of 512) EU at a fraction of the cost it would take to use fiber cables (25 diamonds in total). Now make that distance 1,000 blocks and you get 50 EU loss (still less than 10%) and using fiber that would be 250(!) diamonds...!

I don't see how it can't be a feature of IC2- But that's purely opinion. And I'd rather not rely on another coder (although there are some great ones that hide around here).

Because of what i said above. It messes too much with the balance of other cables options. Why should anyone use the other alternatives when this becomes the best alternative? It's specifically about the "teleport" feature. You don't need to dig a trench, you don't need to make room for cables. You can teleport power into the underground without having to clear a single block. Do we really want one "cable" to rule them all?
    And at long distances, teleport cables will be cheaper to use than any other cable type which only makes this imbalance even more prominent.

And addon makers tend to update rather frequently all things considered. Plus, new versions of IC2 are normally compatible with old addons. It's only addons that rely on IC2 "non API" base code that breaks when IC2 updates. And that doesn't necessarily have to happen either.

Whether they were meant for that or not- That's an amazingly good reason to use them, regardless of CPU cycles.

You are not making much sense there, sorry.

---

Like i said, great for an addon. Not so great to impose on everybody. Even if they can be disabled or have to be enabled...
    But you can think of it this way as well...

Why should Alblaka spend his time making these when they could just as easily be made as an addon. Don't we want Alblaka to work on more pressing issues?

• Just use Energy Coupler add-on... instant teleportating energy there for the go...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• And addon makers tend to update rather frequently all things considered. Plus, new versions of IC2 are normally compatible with old addons. It's only addons that rely on IC2 "non API" base code that breaks when IC2 updates. And that doesn't necessarily have to happen either.

Not exactly. The 1.23 -> 1.337b compatibility was sort of a one time thing. 1.15 addons (for 1.7.3) weren't compatible with 1.23 (for 1.8.1) when it came out.

• Not exactly. The 1.23 -> 1.337b compatibility was sort of a one time thing. 1.15 addons (for 1.7.3) weren't compatible with 1.23 (for 1.8.1) when it came out.

Well obviously since they where two different MC versions. I am talking about between IC versions here that doesn't move to another MC version.
    MC 1.0.0 is as ready as it can be, when IC2 updates to 1.0.0 i bet all the addons (that are in use) will get updated rather quickly.

• I think a power "teleport" block could be useful in overcoming the engine limitations in very long distance power transmission (a mining operation 500 blocks away can't have a wire run to it due to unloaded chunks in between).

To maintain balance, use a block that incorporates an HV transformer, and only transmits EV at a loss of 0.2EU/b (10% @1k blocks). The catch is that it has a 128 block *minimum* range, meaning you still have to use normal wiring for most things.

Probably more appropriate for an add-on, though, since it wouldn't be useful without BC & Additional Pipes' chunk loader blocks.