[Tutorial] First mining run checklist & build steps

• Just noticed on here, that you can use 3 tin ore instead of 3 iron for the bucket.....

EDIT: The extractor takes refined iron for the machine block, not just regular iron :)

Noticed that too, and was doing it that way at first, but I noticed I seem to be more short on tin than iron usually.
    I guess which is better depends what other mods you use as well. Forestry mod uses a lot of bronze.
    If you use Equivilant Exchange then definitly make it out of iron (since you can't transmute copper and tin)

• Looking at the start, the process appears to be:

Get macerator, use single use batteries to power macertator, to get materials for generator, etc.

But, to get the batteries, you need coal dust, for which you need to power the macerator, which you can't do without the batteries. That's the reason I usually go Generator+Macerator then extractor and electric furnace, and then move onto the other machines.

• Official Post

Looking at the start, the process appears to be:

Get macerator, use single use batteries to power macertator, to get materials for generator, etc.

But, to get the batteries, you need coal dust, for which you need to power the macerator, which you can't do without the batteries. That's the reason I usually go Generator+Macerator then extractor and electric furnace, and then move onto the other machines.

You can use one redstone dust in the power slot to award enough power for exactly one operation, so then once you have the one coal dust you can make the batteries. Worth it in my opinion, saves you a ton of rs dust if don't make the batteries, and if you make the generator first you waste half your iron.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• You can use one redstone dust in the power slot to award enough power for exactly one operation, so then once you have the one coal dust you can make the batteries. Worth it in my opinion, saves you a ton of rs dust if don't make the batteries, and if you make the generator first you waste half your iron.

I see another problem. You need to find iron first. And you only need 5 RS-Dust to make a generator. Since 10 Iron is enough.

So I would suggest:

Mine 6 Tin and 3 Iron with Stone Pick (or 6 Iron if you want to have a Iron-Pick as backup).

Build 2 buckets + 1/2 picks. No you start your descend with:

Some food
    Some stone (just have a bit cobble with you, exspecially if you descend into an existing cave, which saves you dura on the pick, but may cause a lag of stone later).
    Two Buckets with water

First mine some Copper, Tin and all Iron you come across. If you are quite deep search for Redstone, a full stack should be easy to find before getting a full stack of iron.

Also watch out for a lava-lake, if you find one create an infinite water-source nearby using the two buckets. Build a nether-portal with the buckets. This will most likely give you some glowstone, which will save you the need of gold and some redstone (normally there is a deposite of glowstone nearby, you may end up quite unfortunate, but you should have some stone around to make things save). A stack of Iron should be enough, since you calculated Iron for the pick and the bucket, which isn't necessary since the bucket is made out of tin and the pick needs to be there before starting any operations.

• The Iron saved is -ridiculously- more difficult to find than the single redstone dust that's 'wasted'.

If you're unsure, why not look at the videos I just uploaded?

http://youtu.be/GSEmKdRODss Episode 1.1 - the first machines
    http://youtu.be/UalrpoTHfzo Episode 1.2 - tier 1 completed

I haven't questioned that. I just said that using 5 Redstone Dust is enough to macerate Iron for the Generator. So if you have enough redstone, which is rather likely if you search for iron quite deep. You don't need the batteries.

Actually there are normally two scenarios if you start mining:

1. You mine only rock and fine materials within. In this case Iron is quite difficult to find.
    2. You hit a cave and explore it. Although this requires at least an Iron Sword, you normally find tons of materials while searching the cave. As you save the time you would need to mine stone you will most likely end up with enough Iron (the cave systems since... I guess it was 1.8.1 are rediculous large).

But I don't question the usefullness of building a macerator before a Generator if you want to only make two mining-drips. Because the point I really miss is that you ignore the fact that you need Iron before you start your bedrock-trip to get redstone. Since you need the iron-pick first. So you basically go mining two times, once for Iron to build the pick (and a little tin for buckets) and the second time you use your iron-picks to get the other materials and more iron.

• Actually I typically find enough iron mining out my tree farm/workshop areas that I'm ready for the trip down as is. (which you can see in the super timelapse 0th video you can find in the same youtube account.)

More or less I have to dig that out anyway since I like a (enderman aside) perfectly safe tree farm right near my work area (lots of things want number).

• Actually I typically find enough iron mining out my tree farm/workshop areas that I'm ready for the trip down as is. (which you can see in the super timelapse 0th video you can find in the same youtube account.)

More or less I have to dig that out anyway since I like a (enderman aside) perfectly safe tree farm right near my work area (lots of things want number).

Jepp, but this is what I said, you don't need to count the iron used for the pick and the buckets for your total, since you already have those before going on your mining-trip. In some extremes you already have enough Iron for the macerator before going down, but lack only the redstone.

• I'm running RP2 as well, so what I do is raid dungeons and mineshafts for various iron products to get my first iron, this way I only loose out on 3 cooper and 4 tin need to set up a battery for my first generator
    That said, at times I have thought of making a mod with a hand cranked macerator, a special block that you destroy with a special item, every time it is destroyed a single ore in it's inventory is converted into two dust, you get the block and any other inventory contents back, the block would be made out of entirely renewable resources bar a few flint, might even make a electric motor add-on thing so you don't have to ditch it when you build a real macerator, be balanced differently then the real one but