Suggestion: Lock and key / multi-user personal chest

• I was thinking for sometime how it is that we could have a multi-user secure chest for smp so here are two separate ideas I had not sure how feasible either of them are so replies would be nice.

The first was the simple idea of a pad-lock and key. You would create a padlock and use it on one of your own personal-chest and would receive 2 or more keys back. You could then take a key and give it to someone else so they could open the chest so long as they were holding the key when they did. This would be a great way for small groups to have shared secure storage. In the case of this method I would think crafting a key-ring that you can store more than 1 key in so they only take one inventory spot would also probably be a good idea.

Main downside to the above method is that if something happens to all the keys then the original owner would have to break the chest and you would have to redo it all over again to have it a multiuser.

The second idea was the possibility of using a tool like the Freqtrans to add a player’s name to a chest allowing for large groups to have a secure storage and enable the copy and pasting of the chest's memory of who can open it by using said tool to transfer the setting from one to another.

Possible recipe for the pad-lock could be the following: X = bronze 0 = refined iron R = redstone dust

0/0/0

X/R/X

X/X/X

Any and all replies are welcome

• Official Post

The idea of padlock-key is possible. But i didn't yet care for implementing it, as it's less useful then a directly player-linked PC (for the reasons you mentioned). Of course, a "multiuser-padlock" could be worth a thought.

The key-ring idea isn't that easy, as the keys would be unstackable items storing the associated chest ID in their damage value. This method wouldn't be applyable if you want to store "multiple keys" into a single item.

The current intended idea is a hashing-based lock, similar to the previous one (just without ModSaver).
    I will consider adding a Padlocking-chest function... Or eventually attempt to generate a "passworded " (number-wise) codechest or something.

• (Going on a resurrecting streak, apparently...)

So, maybe a key and chest could have a separate variable, akin to the different groves on the key. If one key's value is the same as the chest's, it opens.

In theory, then, if a keyring is made, then a key could be held in hand and right clicked on an invalid block (that is, not a chest) and the key would be destroyed, and the key's value would go on the keyring. Right clicking an invalid block with the keyring in hand spawns a key with the key value on it, removed from the keyring, produced in First-In-Last-Out order.

So, the keyring could possibly pose as multiple keys, each with their own value.

As it appears to me, this addition asks that the chest looks through the player's inventory (or at least hotbar) to see if there's a matching key for it's lock. Then, if a chest hits a keyring instead of a single key, the chest could look through each individual value in the keyring to find a pair.

That said, with this, it might also be possible to create a key-duplicator machine. The lock would be made first, and it would be dropped in a key-duplicator with a blank key to generate the lock's key. Then the lock is deployed on a chest (using code similar to wrenches removing machines) and the lock is destroyed, putting the value on the chest.

The key is duplicated as many times as it needs to, and is distributed.

• Official Post

This would be a valid option. I can easyly code something like this, yet it's extremely secure (hell, you have 9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1*[numberOfAllItems&Blocks] possible "passwords").

This could possibly be a good system to use as teleporter "keys" rather than the system that's currently in development. It's pretty much the same as the one the Runecraft mod uses except it only had 4 blocks to use. 9 is basically uncrackable. (although maybe a little hard to remember) :D

• Official Post

This could possibly be a good system to use as teleporter "keys" rather than the system that's currently in development. It's pretty much the same as the one the Runecraft mod uses except it only had 4 blocks to use. 9 is basically uncrackable. (although maybe a little hard to remember) :D

It's easy to create rememberable patterns ^^ You could, f.e. use Dirt, Stone, Wood (from bottom to top), linked to the world(where you get trees on dirt on stone) and stuff.

• Official Post

I'm thinking for SMP moreso. They need to be hard to crack and variable enough that people don't stumble on the same signature. For chests this is easy, as it doesn't matter, you'll still have to try every combination at each different chest to break them, so they're uber uncrackable. The teleporter on the other hand, if you use similar 'memorable' patterns, then it's a lot more likely that someone else will come up with the same. So the combinations will have to be a little more complex. Then again, there's always a piece of paper and a pencil. :D

• I'm thinking for SMP moreso. They need to be hard to crack and variable enough that people don't stumble on the same signature. For chests this is easy, as it doesn't matter, you'll still have to try every combination at each different chest to break them, so they're uber uncrackable. The teleporter on the other hand, if you use similar 'memorable' patterns, then it's a lot more likely that someone else will come up with the same. So the combinations will have to be a little more complex. Then again, there's always a piece of paper and a pencil. :D

Back when I was using runecraft I ended up building a big teleporter storage hallway for all of our extraneous/found combinations with a teleporter to them and a wall design behind it showing the combination.

As for the Keys, if you did the padlock/key idea you could always make an easy way to copy keys and redo the padlocks. That way you could have 1 key for all the chests that involve one group. For example 1 key for all of the high end resource storage chests, 1 key for all of the expensive equipment, etc

• i just thought of a cool idea how about a gui in the personal safe that has a keypad and you can put a certain code in so more than 1 person can open it
    however upon destruction you can then reset the password. also you would have to add a way to put the password in after its been placed

MinecraftChicken is yummy
    MinecraftCow is mooey
    MinecraftPig is oinky
    :Mining Laser: is pewy
    MinecraftCreeper is EXPLOSIVE!!
    RUN AWAY!!