Support Request: Crash (Invalid Entry Size)

• Hi all,

So I just tried to get this mod to work for the first time; I followed the instructions via the download page (http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Download), but have run into an issue of the game crashing. The crash log says that the mod loaded, but it generates an error report that seems to say that there's an issue with the mod loader itself (or so I deduce, I'm no programmer, but I'm not an idiot when it comes to decoding error reports either). Here's the error report I receive:

""Mods loaded: 1
    ModLoader 1.0.0

Minecraft has crashed!
    ----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
    Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 141ccf11 --------
    Generated 12/25/11 3:10 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.0.0
    Java: 1.6.0_17, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    LWJGL: 2.4.2
    OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 version 4.0.10179 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry size (expected 2373386248 but got 4592 bytes)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.readEnd(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.closeEntry(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.getNextEntry(Unknown Source)
    at ModLoader.readFromClassPath(ModLoader.java:1221)
    at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:825)
    at ModLoader.AddAllRenderers(ModLoader.java:186)
    at wb.<init>(wb.java:76)
    at wb.<clinit>(wb.java:9)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:265)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:644)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT 18fc18c3 ----------""

So, just to go with a run-through as to what I did to install the mod to clear up any possible questions as to a noob mistake, here's what I did:

Downloaded ModLoader, opened the minecraft.jar file with IZArc, placed the files into the jar, re-wrote the files that the mod replaced, deleted the META folder.

Downloaded ModLoaderMP, placed the files into the jar, re-wrote the files that the mod replaced, but no new META folder appeared, so I skipped this step for obvious reasons.

Downloaded Forge, placed the files into the jar, re-wrote the files that the mod replaced, once again, no new META folder appeared, so I skipped this step once more.

Downloaded the IC^2 jar from the aforementioned Download page, created a mods folder inside of the .minecraft folder, placed the IC^2 jar into it, closed out of everything.

Opened Minecraft, logged in, Mojang screen appeared, then boom, crash report.

No, I'm not running any texture packs nor was the minecraft.jar patched for an HD texture pack or anything else of the sort. No, there are no other mods on my copy of Minecraft, it was entirely vanilla before I tried using this mod.

I'd appreciate any help! I'm trying to convince my server to play this mod, but I need to go through it first to test everything out before putting it through to the other players.

Thanks!!

• Official Post

Hmm, after thinking on that one, you may want to try redownloading the IC2 .jar, it looks like it may be corrupt, it isn't near big enough, as the error says it expected much bigger, the proper 2.x MB, and it only found like 4 kb.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Common issue. Your download of the IC2 .jar file failed and gpt corrupted. Just re-download it.

EDIT: And it helps to provide the modloader.txt file as well as the crash log. Then we can confirm it isn't another file that is corrupt.

• Thanks for the replies!!

Tried re-downloading the file twice, still the same error. I went to the ModLoader.txt file, but it's roughly the same as the other one. Here's what it said:

Dec 25, 2011 9:01:51 AM ModLoader init
    FINE: ModLoader 1.0.0 Initializing...
    Dec 25, 2011 9:01:51 AM ModLoader readFromClassPath
    FINER: Adding mods from C:\Users\joey\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar
    Dec 25, 2011 9:01:51 AM ModLoader readFromClassPath
    FINER: Zip found.
    Dec 25, 2011 9:01:51 AM ModLoader init
    FINER: THROW
    java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry size (expected 2373386248 but got 4592 bytes)

I assured myself that I was downloading the correct file (1.0.0 client v. 1.43), but it's still a no-go. Any other possibilities? Also, I force updated Minecraft before modding to make sure that I had the latest version. Thanks, all!

• Java: 1.6.0_17, Sun Microsystems Inc.

1.6u17? holy out of date, batman... I realize this isn't the issue but you *MUST* keep java up to date, that one's a security nightmare as there's numerous little security related flaws that have been closed since then.
    the current 1.6 line is 1.6u30

• Yeah, I keep getting notices for it to update on my computer, but it won't ever actually update =/ It goes through the installation process, says that it's complete, but I keep getting the notification that there's an update available. Not sure what to do about it, but it hasn't caused any problems thus far, so I've not thought much about it.

• Are you sure you are using the file that you downloaded last and not the first one you downloaded?
    Check the file size of the "industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar" in your mods folder. It should be 2,458,648 bytes (2.34 MB) in size.
    If it isn't then it is corrupt and needs to be replaced with a non corrupt file.

As for java updates, if it doesn't actually update there is something wrong with java which REALLY needs to be sorted prior to using it.
    Uninstall Java and re-install it using the latest 1.6 JRE. I am however running on the 1.7 JDK and it all works fine. So why not install that?

• Yeah, I keep getting notices for it to update on my computer, but it won't ever actually update =/ It goes through the installation process, says that it's complete, but I keep getting the notification that there's an update available. Not sure what to do about it, but it hasn't caused any problems thus far, so I've not thought much about it.

so uninstall *everything* Java in the control panel and snag the offline downloader by hand then.

• Absolutely certain. I actually just got a new monitor for Christmas for my desktop (I had been using my laptop previously, as my old monitor for my desktop crapped out) and just tried to install it on here as well; I'm getting the exact same error. Is there perhaps something wrong with the download link on the site? And I checked the file size, it is indeed 2.34 MB. Either something is screwy with one of the ModLoaders or something is screwy with the jar on the download page, it'd seem...

For clarity's sake, here's the report from my desktop:

Generated 12/26/11 12:24 AM

Java: 1.6.0_27, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series version 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

--- END ERROR REPORT 4f69285 ----------

• Clear out everything, as if re-installing minecraft from scratch. Re-download the latest versions of stuff. Make sure you've also done the java update steps noted above.

• i noticed on ur crashlog that you are running java version 6 update to version 7 and try again

here is a link to update

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/j…oads/index.html

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

• It didn't fix the issue...Same crash log, but with the updated Java:

Generated 12/26/11 3:29 AM

Java: 1.7.0_02, Oracle Corporation
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 version 4.0.10179 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

--- END ERROR REPORT cddb4909 ----------

• ... The file is still too small. If you re-did everything from the start then there is something else going horribly wrong.

My guess is that it is downloading the completely wrong thing...

My file info:

industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar

Size: 2.34 MB (2,458,648 bytes)
    Size on disk: 2.34 MB (2,461,696 bytes)

I downloaded it from the link in the public release section on these forums, the file link is: http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/Downloadfiles/IndustrialCraft²/industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar

Opening the .jar file in WinRar gives me the following content:

- armor
    - ic2
    mod_IC2$OreHandler.class
    mod_IC2.class

Opening the .jar file in notepad (which all of us have) the first line in the file starts with:

Code
    PK     Hi?               armor/PK     }—ˆ?

If your file doesn't start with "PK" then your file isn't a .jar archive.
    Let's assume your file is in the form of readable text like.

Code
    HTTP 400 blablablablabal

or likewise then it is the program you are using to download it that is broken... So for instance, if you are using Internet Exploader to download the file with then install Google Chrome/FireFox or any of the other thousand webbrowsers and try downloading with those instead.
    Of if you have a download manager installed then UNINSTALL it. It only messes things up for you.

• I downloaded the jar from the link you gave me, went and replaced it with the one I had downloaded, then tried again. I still had the exact same error. So I went and opened it up with IZArc, found the exact same files that you mentioned, so I tried opening it up with Notepad to see if it gave the same code or not, but it was also the same:

PK Hi? armor/PK }—ˆ?

This is really odd O.o'

• your router might be damaging the jar far try downloading it from another internet connection

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

• I downloaded the laptop version at my friend's place and the desktop version at my own place, still a no-go =(

"laptop version"? there is no "laptop version"
    anyway: reinstall the latest version of Java, try it on a different machine, check your hardware. (memtest86 for many hours to check for memory problems for example)

• I meant the jar that I was using on my laptop as compared to the one that I was using on my desktop (I should have chosen a different way of wording that, but I had just woken up and wasn't quite coherent enough at the time I suppose).

I did re-install the latest version of Java (see my earlier log), but nothing happened. Tried it on a different machine (laptop vs. desktop), different versions of Windows even, still the same error. Hardware is different on both machines, more memory had been reallocated to Minecraft some time ago when I was having performance issues in the past, so memory isn't an issue. Software is all up to date on both machines (Java was the exception to that in the past due to the error of it not updating properly like I had mentioned previously).

• (DAMMIT INTERNET/CHROME FAIL, RAAAAGGGGEEEE!!!!!!)

(I'm not typing all that out again, so I'll just post the suggestions I had)

It seems to me to be a modloader issue, possibly, as it is throwing the exception when it initializes Modloader. Did you try to run MC right after you installed ModLoader? It helps identify problems if you run MC after installing each base mod, meaning Modloader, ModloaderMP, and Forge for most people. (Backing up, at the very least, the minecraft.jar after every step.)

Also, I've never heard of IZArc, link please? Maybe it's causing the problem, try another program? I'm using 7zip, and I've yet to have a problem with editing the minecraft.jar (It also doesn't ask to overwrite files, though, and autosaves when you exit the jar).