I feel like an idiot. (re: transformers)

• I'm trying to get power down from a wind farm at the top of the map down someplace where I can use it. I figured I'd upconvert it to EV, send that the 50-60 blocks I need to go, then drop it to HV and dump it in a MFSU. Pretty typical, right?

Well, it's not working, and I feel like an idiot. Please tell me I'm overlooking something simple...

Here's the power generation spot; the top is an MFE, then a MV transformer to up it to HV, then a HV transformer to go to EV. All the output faces are pointing down.

Here's a better shot for the redstone. I'm assuming the block is getting current, as it's pointing at the transformers and activated.

Here's the other end of the cable. The triple-dotted side of the transformer is pointing towards the trunk cable (to the right), and it should just be dumping to the MFSU.

I've checked the orientations at least a dozen times now, gone over it with a fine-toothed comb, and I just don't see anything wrong. The total horizontal run is maybe 12-15 blocks, so it's not like I'm trying to pass power to an unloaded chunk or anything. The MFE is currently full, so even if redstone were hitting it somehow, it should still be putting out power. Anyone have any other things to check?

If I can't get this working, I'll just have to wait until I have enough diamonds / coal to make a ton of glass cable and just run HV down. Would like to avoid doing that for now, but lacking any better (i.e. working) options...

• Today I shifted my wind turbines to the ceiling, warranting the use of HV for the first time .. No issues for me. I'm feeding the windmills straight into my HV transformer though, nothing in the middle (minus a MFE Unit to avoid a backlog of power (which I could switch to a transformer now I think about it)).

At the top, clearly redstoned.

Reaching land, feed straight into a MFS Unit.

My only concern is your placement of the redstone torch to engage HV mode.

• My only concern is your placement of the redstone torch to engage HV mode.

^This

You don't need the redstone wire b/w the torch and transformer. If that's not it, you've made it quite clear you checked the orientations so I won't suggest that...even though that is all I can think of.

• Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it WAS the redstone that was the problem... having the torches on top of each other was apparently shorting something out. I moved the top torch ot the other side and it works great now.

I freaking HATE redstone. :P

• Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it WAS the redstone that was the problem... having the torches on top of each other was apparently shorting something out. I moved the top torch ot the other side and it works great now.

I freaking HATE redstone. :P

personally I just use a lever directly on the transformers. Works every time when I remember to hit the flipping lever. :)

• What difference does multiplayer make? I have a hundred solar panels running on tin cable straight into a step-up HV transformer. What benefit would I get from putting LV and MV transformers in the middle of the network?

• I haven't had trouble with that, but have had a problem where I ran insulated copper cable less than 15 metres from a generator to some recyclers and they refused to accept any energy at all (the generator stayed charged and refused to emit any energy). Sometimes destroying a cable and replacing it would make that recycler, or maybe a couple nearby, accept some energy for a while, but never reliably and never all of them. Randomly adding a batbox to the system for no good reason fixed it.

• I haven't had trouble with that, but have had a problem where I ran insulated copper cable less than 15 metres from a generator to some recyclers and they refused to accept any energy at all (the generator stayed charged and refused to emit any energy). Sometimes destroying a cable and replacing it would make that recycler, or maybe a couple nearby, accept some energy for a while, but never reliably and never all of them. Randomly adding a batbox to the system for no good reason fixed it.

not suprising there given the losses involved in long copper cables like that. A Bat-Box steps it up from 10 EU packets to 32 EU packets.

• not suprising there given the losses involved in long copper cables like that. A Bat-Box steps it up from 10 EU packets to 32 EU packets.

Sorry, no. A generator outputs 10 EU/packet. An insulated copper cable loses 1 EU / 5 metres. My cable was, quote, "less than 15 metres" long. This also affected a recycler a mere four or five metres from the generator.