Question: OV/OD scanner outputs

• I've been searching for an answer for a while now, but I can't find anything on the subject. The wiki says nothing about it either.

Why are there two outputs (ore density number), when you scan using OD/OV scanners? Maybe I'm just an idiot. My first thought was that the first number is the output scan from the level your head is, and the second output is from the legs and down. But a quick test showed me that that wasn't it.

Also;

I've customized the ValuableOres= code in the IC2 config-file, so it only shows iron and diamond. This only affects the OV scanner, right? The OD scanner will still show output for all ores. I just need confirmation.

• I do not know which it effects, but as you are currently at a workstation with IC2 on it and I am not you are in an easier spot to experiment and get results.

Experiment:
    Comment out the valuableOres line and reload so that it regenerates (confirm it does).

Scan with each scanner, noting results.

Put in your line. (requires reload)

Repeat the scan (same results if unaffected).

As for what the number mean: Likely the first is an OreDensity (Effectively the count of ore to other material within the given area), while the second is an OreValue (the average value of the ores in that area).

Modifying the valuable ores line /will/ change which materials your miner grabs! The miner will /only/ grab blocks directly beneath it, any in the valuable ores list within it's reach, and blocks required to reach the noted blocks.

• Modifying the valuable ores line /will/ change which materials your miner grabs! The miner will /only/ grab blocks directly beneath it, any in the valuable ores list within it's reach, and blocks required to reach the noted blocks.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure my miner took everything even after i removed everything but iron and diamonds in the valuable ores line.

As for the experiment, It may take a couple of days before I can test it. I'm pretty busy with UU-matter production (on SMP) right now which has my full attention :) And with new years eve just around the corner, I don't have much time on my hands.

Thanks for the answer. I'll get back to you with the experiment if someone doesn't beat me to it.

• Official Post

The miner will mine whats under it regardless of if it is on the valuable ores list, however all valuable ores within the range of its scanner will be mined.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Is it that the numbers are the number of valuable ore blocks and the total value of those blocks, thus allowing you to get an idea of both the amount of ore and its value per ore block?

• I don't get two numbers from one scan just to be clear.

If using the OD scanner you get the number of valuable blocks in a 5 x 5 x playerHeight area. So if you are standing at sea level (64) you are scanning 1,600 blocks. It returns the number of blocks in that area considered valuable (which can be altered in the config)

If using the OV scanner things get a little bit more complicated. it returns the VALUE of all blocks in a 9 x 9 x playerHeight area. If you are standing at sea level that's 5,184 blocks scanned. It now goes through all blocks in that area and summarizes the values of all ores it finds. (that are listed in the valuableOres config)

Code
    valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3, 247:4, 248:2, 249:2

each entry (between the commas) is <blockID>-<MetaValue>:<oreValue> where

<blockID> is the id of the ore block.
    <MetaValue> is the block "sub id" if you will. Mods like RedPower uses meta data to consolidate all it's blocks under one block id. If you want to differentiate between them you need to know their meta data.
    <oreValue> is the value of the block... for instance:

block 14 is gold and is worth 3 points
    15 is iron worth 4 points
    16 coal 1 point
    21 lapis 3 points
    56 diamond 5 points
    73 redstone 3 points
    247 uranium 4 points
    248 and...
    249 tin/copper 2 points

So for every block scanned, if one of them is any of the above then "points" value will be added to the scan result. Now, before the result is presented to the user it will be reworked a little...

(1000 * oreValue) / blocksScanned

so if you find 100 diamonds in that 9x9x64 area (5,184 blocks) then the OV scanner will return 96. (The remainder is truncated)
    Whereas, if you find 100 diamonds using the OD scanner you get 100 as the result.

• Why cant we just get an Ore Scanner, which shows, say,

4 Diamonds
    283 coal
    24 iron
    36 copper
    3 uranium
    12 tin

Etc, like that?
    Would be somewhat useful

• Because it would be too easy to find ores that way. You can always modify the config file to only list the ores you want.
    Or you could modify the IC2 source and make it list each ore separately.
    Or you could just use TMI to give yourself the stuff you really wanted, if you don't like challenges and have everything delivered on a silver platter.

Or you could just download a readily made MC world so you don't even have to play the game. Just load the world and marvel at the sights til you get bored and move on like just about every console gamer on this planet...

Get my drift?

• I believe I've found the answer, in multiplayer anyway (I've never used a scanner in single-player so can't comment on its behaviour). One of the messages comes from the client and the other comes from the server. I confirmed this by changing valuableOres in the configuration file only on the client; this causes the numbers in the two outputs for a single usage of the scanner to differ, whereas they are normally the same.

• I believe I've found the answer, in multiplayer anyway (I've never used a scanner in single-player so can't comment on its behaviour). One of the messages comes from the client and the other comes from the server. I confirmed this by changing valuableOres in the configuration file only on the client; this causes the numbers in the two outputs for a single usage of the scanner to differ, whereas they are normally the same.

So if the server .cfg-file is the same as the client file, the outputs should be the same? I'm pretty sure that the server's config file is the same as mine, but I still get two outputs.

Thanks for the anser though. I think we're close to the solution :)

• Are you saying you have identical config files on server and client, and you get not just two outputs but two different outputs? If so then it's not the same thing I saw; I always got two copies of the same number until I changed one of the config files.

• Are you saying you have identical config files on server and client, and you get not just two outputs but two different outputs? If so then it's not the same thing I saw; I always got two copies of the same number until I changed one of the config files.

Yes, exactly. It's not my server, so I don't have access to the server config file, but I'm pretty sure they are the same. I mean, why would they be different?

• Different block IDs, or your server admin edited the file to include ores from another mod, etc etc.

If you're on bukkit your server admin may also be using a silly plugin to hide client-side viewers which feeds garbage data to the client.

• so if i add the ore id's from redpower and buildcraft to the valuable ore line, the miner will grab those too. Lets say, nickolite and silver too?

the first of the couple being the id and the second a value number?

am i right?

Don' wanna mess things up to much.

thanks, T.