Transfer between nether and overworld officially possible

• As I suspected all along it has been possible to transfer things between the dimensions. Glad that someone finally made it possible as I can finally connect the industrial parts of my nether base to the overworld base which is something I've been wanting to be able to do for a long time. I still would rather have something that makes more sense like involving the nether portals somehow but I'll just place this in the corner of a portal for now.

Ender Chest

• Coincidentally enough, I was looking at that earlier while I was doing reconstruction of my install, I like it. Would come in handy.

I can see that people in the Nether put Lava Cells in the chest, going through the portal and the BC/RP2 machine on the other side automatically pumping them out and distributing them out accordingly to the Geo Gens.

• Coincidentally enough, I was looking at that earlier while I was doing reconstruction of my install, I like it. Would come in handy.

I can see that people in the Nether put Lava Cells in the chest, going through the portal and the BC/RP2 machine on the other side automatically pumping them out and distributing them out accordingly to the Geo Gens.

Will likely be doing something similar though i tend to use buckets wherever possible.

I just find it funny what with so many people saying it was impossible.

• Will likely be doing something similar though i tend to use buckets wherever possible.

I just find it funny what with so many people saying it was impossible.

Eh, bucket = Cell-1 Tin ingot, I find messes of Tin so I'm not worried.

But yeah, I'm still chortling about that debate. Those chests are just damn sexy (I like the End Portal haze inside the chest when you open it).

• Consider that this will still only be possible in SMP, and that you need someone on both sides to initiate the transfer of items across dimensions.
    If no one's in the Nether (or the overworld), time doesn't pass there - that means engines don't pump, items don't move through pipes, machines don't process and essentially, nothing happens.
    Just because an Ender Chest inventory is accessible from one realm to the other won't suddenly make your Nether lava cell factory work unattended.

• This really upgrades a Nether base which is only used for farming blaze rods or nether wards to a full fledged base. Because before you would need to transfer everything using your inventory, which is limited and always requires time to load the other world. Also while you farming nether stuff your pumps are active and produce lava cells you can use in the overworld then. Only because time stands still doesn't mean that the things you put in the chest can't be used. If I am going to play SSP again for some time I am definitively installing this mod, finally the times are over when you needed to go up only because you forgot to bring iron. Just store everything in the chests and you can access it in both worlds.

• Consider that this will still only be possible in SMP, and that you need someone on both sides to initiate the transfer of items across dimensions.
    If no one's in the Nether (or the overworld), time doesn't pass there - that means engines don't pump, items don't move through pipes, machines don't process and essentially, nothing happens.
    Just because an Ender Chest inventory is accessible from one realm to the other won't suddenly make your Nether lava cell factory work unattended.

Well, sure, in vanilla Minecraft. With a mod, it's more than possible to keep chunks loaded in the nether while your in the overworld, the only problem is loading them in the first place. Although I guess you could load chunk cordinates out of a txt file or something and manually load those.

• I don't think that a mod changes how worlds load. I'd love to hear your explanation on how it can load chunks from two dimensions, which may share coordinates, when a player is not present there.
    Don't mistake the ability to access a shared inventory for anything more than it actually is.

Chunkloader doesnt load another Dimension ?

• Chunkloader doesnt load another Dimension ?

Chunk Loader (if that's the same mod I'm thinking of) does, but it does it in a very hackish way from what i heard that murders your CPU, it works in concept, but in actuality its a nightmare to implement properly.

I think the way to go about it would be to introduce a "Signal" block that once constructed anything around it in an area is guaranteed to run regardless of player presence, but as with the previous note, it's a nightmare to implement properly and murders CPU.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Chunkloader doesnt load another Dimension ?

It didn't before - and its code hasn't changed since then. I think people are reading too much into what the Ender Chests mod does, and expecting too much as a consequence.

• I don't think that a mod changes how worlds load. I'd love to hear your explanation on how it can load chunks from two dimensions, which may share coordinates, when a player is not present there.
    Don't mistake the ability to access a shared inventory for anything more than it actually is.

A developer im working with is creating a Zepplin mod replacement(because how the Zepplin mod makes stuff move is, and I qoute, a technical dead end)and he is planning to store crafts in a pocket dimension. If he can store them in another dimension, change their render location to the normal world, and even have the player COLLIDE with it(not sure how exactly he's doing that, il ask him later) then surely he could make chunks stay loaded in the nether. And if he can, other people can too.

• If he can store them in another dimension, change their render location to the normal world, and even have the player COLLIDE with it(not sure how exactly he's doing that, il ask him later) then surely he could make chunks stay loaded in the nether.

Again, don't mistake the ability to access a shared inventory to mean a chunk is loaded. That data is stored elsewhere.
    Yes, stuff like Ender Chests is amazing and pushes the envelope, but people are clearly still expecting that it does more than it actually does.

• Shared inventories are generally stored either in an array coded directly in the mod, in NBT format for persistent storage (chests), or txt files inside the .minecraft folder (one of the least used strategies).

Loaded chunks are either newly generated chunks that were loaded into RAM (mind, they are stored in NBT, I think), and a new mcr file is written to the hard drive at the same time. In the case of Additional Pipe's ChunkLoader block, it stores the chunk's HDD location and forces MC to load that chunk regardless (I think be overriding MC's vanilla chunk handler).

Don't confuse the two.

• Well, yeah, it's always been "possible" to transfer between the nether and the overworld. However, it's not really possible to have the Nether loaded while you're in the overworld, or vice versa, unless you're on a SMP server and someone else is in the other dimension. That's the thing that's boggled people who look at the nether as a source of power generation...yeah, it's essentially an easy source of infinite lava, but you have to BE there to tap it, which means you can't just conveniently pipe the lava into a tank at your base and make cells from it there, any lava cells you craft have to be done on site. The Ender Chest mod makes it a bit easier to get them home, is all.

• i saw a mod in 1.8.1 that didnt have bedrock and went from real world to nether just by digging down i assume the chunks were loaded but im not sure

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• i saw a mod in 1.8.1 that didnt have bedrock and went from real world to nether just by digging down i assume the chunks were loaded but im not sure

Yeah, I know which mod you're talking about. Set the world up so that it was (in order, top down):
    - Aether (if installed)
    - Notch's Sky Dimension
    - Overworld
    - Nether

I would assume in this case the chunks for all four are loaded, but at the same time I would assume, to cut down on lag, there is a sort of barrier between the "worlds" that transfer you and load the proper chunks. But... eh. I don't think it's going to be updated to 1.0 or 1.1 now.

• Again, don't mistake the ability to access a shared inventory to mean a chunk is loaded. That data is stored elsewhere.
    Yes, stuff like Ender Chests is amazing and pushes the envelope, but people are clearly still expecting that it does more than it actually does.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. IT IS POSSIBLE! I KNOW it is, but there isn't a mod that does this because theres virtually NO point in vanilla minecraft. Yknow what, il just go ask him and be back here with what he says in a day or two.

The universal rule of programming: if you have to ask, it is possible. If you didn't ask, then it's still possible.

• Yeah, I know which mod you're talking about. Set the world up so that it was (in order, top down):
    - Aether (if installed)
    - Notch's Sky Dimension
    - Overworld
    - Nether

I would assume in this case the chunks for all four are loaded, but at the same time I would assume, to cut down on lag, there is a sort of barrier between the "worlds" that transfer you and load the proper chunks. But... eh. I don't think it's going to be updated to 1.0 or 1.1 now.

That's digging up, and from what I can tell it doesn't transport you dimensions it just uses the generation code mixed with a height increase to spawn them all in one world.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."