Suggestion: Material/Ore/Metal Detector

• First thing I want to ask: Why do we have to put Suggestion: -name-? This IS the SUGGESTION subforum afterall... >_>

Anyways, getting right on with it.

Name:
    Material/Ore/Metal Detector

Description:
    I remember quite a long time ago there was a mod that was just "Material Detectors" or something to that effect. Long since lost in the sea of mods that were made and never updated. (Though I do recall it updating a few times still.) Anyways, short and simple: It stopped updating.

What these were, were tools that you held in your hand, and when you had them out, they'd chime/beep if you were near whatever it was you were looking for. They had "battery life" which drained when you had them out searching for ores, but wouldn't drain otherwise. It got faster beeping as you got closer to the item you were searching for, so it was a fun little game of hot-cold.

There were 8 different tools this mod had. A basic searcher, one for coal, iron, gold, and diamonds. Then there was the Advanced searcher for each of those which had double the range, double the life, and were a little bit more expensive.

Now, I'm not suggesting a direct copy of that mod, but something along the industrial lines would be pretty cool. Especially if you could give it an inventory of what to search for (one item only maybe?) and then have it run off battery power instead of magical redstone dust.

Recipe:

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
    :Refined Iron: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Energy Crystal: :Advanced Circuit: :Industrial Diamond:

The integrated plating is just placeholder blank spots.
    I'm thinking refined iron for the frame, a diamond for a "resonating crystal" that will search out whatever you're looking for, a battery (or energy crystal), and a circuit (or advanced circuit) to make it work right.

I'm unsure how costly you'd want this to be? Or maybe have two versions like the old one I knew with basic (battery and circuit) and advanced (energy crystal and advanced circuit) ones?

-----

So, yeah, I know we have Miners and Mining Lasers and stuff like that that prettymuch makes something like this obsolete, but sometimes you just feel like digging. That's my case. I don't even build Miners. I go down and do all the dirty work myself. It's what I like about Minecraft, the Mine part of it, where I go down into the caves, strip EVERYTHING that isn't stone out of the walls (yes that includes dirt and gravel too), go up, deposit my ores, and then head right back down.

So, let me know what'cha think folks.

• Official Post

Archive doesnt has subsections, thus threads need these tags to star organized after being archived.

We got OD and OV scanners taking the function of searching ores. Don't see a reason to implement another system.

OD and OV scanners are kinda imprecise in terms of searching ores, in my opinion.
    People like something that detects the exact location of ores, not something that says : there are ores nearby you, have fun looking for them.

Or make scanners show how many and which ore(s) are nearby you :D

• OD and OV scanners are kinda imprecise in terms of searching ores, in my opinion.
    People like something that detects the exact location of ores, not something that says : there are ores nearby you, have fun looking for them.

This would be cool but might be also a bit over powered hehe.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

We got OD and OV scanners taking the function of searching ores. Don't see a reason to implement another system.

They are totally useless, only for making a miner.
    I really don't see a reason to know how much ore is under me. Id better put that scanner in a miner and look how it shoots ore at me while im sitting near. And number of ore under me doesn't really give me a reason to dig under me, as i can easily get into lava with all my scanners and drills.

New system would be a ton better, even more, it will get you a choise between a miner or using scanner to look for ore yourself.

there are ores nearby you, have fun looking for them.

The thingy don't count that ores are everywhere under you :Р

• OD and OV scanners are kinda imprecise in terms of searching ores, in my opinion.

I was thinking of combining those two, why not give the OV/OD scanner a second mode to scan horizontaly? lets say 64 blocks e.g.
    This would be very helpfull while mining 4 specific ores sice the only spawn certain layers.
    Not sure, but it should also be easier to implement since its not nessesary to craft a whole new item.

So far Lightblader

• Ahh.
    Fiddly archive. :B

Although you give OV/OD scanners, those aren't really... helpful with finding ores. They only detect below you, and detect a large range. All you know is that "Yes, ores are in this 5x5/9x9 area. From where you're standing to bedrock." You're not told what kind, how many, anything like that. If you happen to be looking for coal, that's going to be hell and a half to know if there's any nearby or not, or even if there's any in the in the area at all. Same deal for iron, gold, lapis, etc. etc.

OD/OV scanners give you: Yes there's ore here. It's under your feet somewhere. Get digging. Slave. No I'm not telling you what type it is.

My proposed item gives you: Hey, dude, there's [insert ore] nearby! You're X distance from it based on my beeping noises. You're getting warmer~! Op, cold now. Warmer! Warmer! Red hot! You found it~! Whoo! Good job, have a cookie, oh and the ore too!

Though, if I cannot sway your opinion, thank you for your time to at least read my suggestion.

• Thats the joke of the OD/OV scanner, telling you what are the best placed to mine not doing the frigging job for you. For more accuracy use it in caverns, if you see a very high lecture its quite possibly that theres some ore around, you just have to play hot and cold with the numbers to find the best place to mine.

Still dont like it? Build a miner and let that do the job for you.

• I really don't see a reason to know how much ore is under me. Id better put that scanner in a miner and look how it shoots ore at me while im sitting near.

Well, used properly, an ore scanner will show you the best place to put that miner.
    Drop it any old place, and what you get may or may not be worth the energy.
    Drop it someplace you know to be rich, and you'll get something for the investment.

• I think i would use the material detector in caves a lot.
    I always think that there's diamond behind a one thick stone wall, and since i cant see them i dont know they're there. =[
    this would be useful because it would at least tell me when i get near one of these veins. =]