Linux Operating System And Industrial Craft

• So you are saying it supports linux a lot better than steam? If so, I'm sold on linux for the most part, unless someone brings up another negative point.

Yeah, but the biggest problem I ran into was that I had to build it from source (you can search for instructions on the net, I think they package some instruction with the Desura tarball), but after that it ran with little problem.

• Thank you Ultimate! Will seriously consider using the program when I get to that point. Anyone have any problems with steam games/have any workarounds for problems for steam? I heard steam doesn't work well with Linux.

EDIT: As I'm reading more into linux, I'm seeing there are different versions, like Ubuntu and a few others. What would be best for my purposes? What would you recommend?

EDIT2: Currently running Ubuntu instead of Windows 7 on my laptop, and love the look and feel. No idea on game compatibility, but at least it looks good :D

You're probably best going with Ubuntu for now - it's quite good for beginners since a lot of the stuff is taken care of for you. I personally run SuSE Linux, since it gives me more configuration options (plus, I prefer KDE to Gnome, but let's not go there). The main compatibility layer for running Windows programs on Linux is something called Wine - you can see how much luck people have had running various programs on their website: http://appdb.winehq.org/. Minecraft will run flawlessly since it's Java-based, but I suggest that you go for an NVidia graphics card - they have better Linux drivers than ATI at the moment (and have done for quite some time, in fact).

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• wine will run alot of games but sometimes newer ones take some time to get working
    linux works fine with minecraft as it runs natively
    IC also works fine, im running a server for me an my friends and minecraft to log in on it with no problems.
    I have IC,RP2,Railcraft and a few other little ones.
    I did have a problem with the solar helmet mod but just had to rename it so that it loaded after IC.

Also as for which linux, go with linux mint, I would stay away from Mint 12 go with 10 or 11

also stay away from ubuntu unless you like how the mac OS feels, they have been steadily heading in that sort of direction.

also if you plan on running a server then you might want to go with the 64bit version of whatever you pick, I find i bump against on the 32bit version.

gl *linux rocks*

• i think that going with linux as main os is a good choice for many reasons.

1. It free and open source.
    2. It much more stable then windows. Can't say to much about mac as i have never used it as os on one of my comps
    3. It takes a lot less processing power, ram and so on.
    4. You learn a lot from using it

When i switched to linux as main os it took me about 4 days to get it working as i wanted i reinstalled it 2 times i think. and every time you are going to play a new game it takes some time to get it working if it's not coded in java or any other platform independent language. so mc won't be a problem. I have had some problem with modding for not so long ago when you added modloader it placed one class in a new map in an other new map. i never under stood why..
    but some things like that will happen but i think that you should go with it.

i run minecraft IC² buildcraft and a white list server with the same mods with almost no problems.
    As for what distro i would go with mint or ubuntu. test both

• Thanks guys, really appreciate it! Probably will go with linux for a while, till I have a bit extra to spend on Windows 7, or Windows 8 comes out, whichever comes first.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I'd say that in your situation installing Linux from the beginning isn't a bad idea. Ubuntu is a good starting point if you haven't used Linux before and it will run very quickly on your PC as well.

In terms of Minecraft/IC2, it will probably be a little harder to get them up and running compared to Windows, but it's certainly not impossible. I wouldn't consider trying to run games like Skyrim in Linux under WINE - it's going to be way more hassle than it's worth from what I hear. I might be wrong though.

Anyway, you can always buy Windows later on if you decide that you want to switch to it, and have the money available.

• I'd say that in your situation installing Linux from the beginning isn't a bad idea. Ubuntu is a good starting point if you haven't used Linux before and it will run very quickly on your PC as well.

Anyway, you can always buy Windows later on if you decide that you want to switch to it, and have the money available.

Exactly what I was thinking, once I feel I'm ready for windows 7 (or when windows 8 comes out) then I will purchase it.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]