Custom Drills

• Using the API is it possible to declare new drills that have higher durability (aka power storage)?

I'm working on my IC2 addon between my mod and it, and I'm considering adding in Drills for a variety of my metals if its not too difficult to tweak the durabilities of them, and if the API supports such additions.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Why would you want to change the durability of the drill? Mostly because using a lappack (Or having several) in your inventory gives you a crapton of energy to waste before using the internal energy of the drill.

At best what kind of materials the drill can mine and at what speed its the only thing that would probably be customizable.

• Why would you want to change the durability of the drill? Mostly because using a lappack (Or having several) in your inventory gives you a crapton of energy to waste before using the internal energy of the drill.

At best what kind of materials the drill can mine and at what speed its the only thing that would probably be customizable.

My mod adds a huge variety of metals, instead of alternate tips I was planning on implementing a variety of drills that are constructed similar to the base mining drill and each can handle more stress on them before they need recharged. They also have a variety of speeds.

Regardless I just wanna know if its possible using the API.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Official Post

Yes, you should be able to use the IElectricItem interface for that. Just create it as a normal Item inheriting from ElectricItem or implementing mentioned interface. Both classes are present in the API.

• Yes, you should be able to use the IElectricItem interface for that. Just create it as a normal Item inheriting from ElectricItem or implementing mentioned interface. Both classes are present in the API.

Thank you sir *bows*

Here's an example of some of them, I'm still toying with a few different textures (note they look a little outlandish due to the fact they're the Nether Metal set so they're very.. "fantasy' style, still a WIP)

• Thank you sir *bows*

Here's an example of some of them, I'm still toying with a few different textures (note they look a little outlandish due to the fact they're the Nether Metal set so they're very.. "fantasy' style, still a WIP)

Would be cool if they have something like enchantments inherit instead of just different energy-consumption. The Diamond-Drill is cheap and almost unbeatable in mining-speed yet it doesn't need much energy (well... the only improvement is the Mining-Laser^^).

So you could try to implement inherit Fortune or Silk-Touch enchantments (well... better not the later :P), or maybe other things are possible.

• Would be cool if they have something like enchantments inherit instead of just different energy-consumption. The Diamond-Drill is cheap and almost unbeatable in mining-speed yet it doesn't need much energy (well... the only improvement is the Mining-Laser^^).

So you could try to implement inherit Fortune or Silk-Touch enchantments (well... better not the later :P), or maybe other things are possible.

I agree if I could find some good ways to do it within reason, I'm kinda imagining some of these end drills (made of rare metals) having a huge power supply on their own to the point where you wouldn't necessarily need a lappack or batpack with you. You could just go mining with it for an extended period of time. The thing is such a huge supply still needs refilled of course so you'd have to return, but the point still stands. I'm also considering shifting mining speeds around a bit and doing something with the diamond drill (not sure what yet) my mod makes full use of Forge's mining level system to allow me to tier and bottleneck advancement, so I might do the same with drills having them get faster and more durable as you progress.

• Design wise it looks good... Logic wise meh.

Materials you use to make the head should not determine how much energy these drills can hold, unless you also plan to mix some other materials to the recipe. You could even include more batteries in the recipe of each drill or a lapo/energy crystal for such things... Which brings the question, how will these drill will be made? From iron to the next tier till it reaches Diamond or something? I have to check your mod (Only reason i dont its because i find it annoying having so much minerals in my game), maybe i could even suggest you make new batteries/energy crystals with your new ores to make more sense for the drills to have more energy storage...

• Design wise it looks good... Logic wise meh.

Materials you use to make the head should not determine how much energy these drills can hold, unless you also plan to mix some other materials to the recipe. You could even include more batteries in the recipe of each drill or a lapo/energy crystal for such things... Which brings the question, how will these drill will be made? From iron to the next tier till it reaches Diamond or something? I have to check your mod (Only reason i dont its because i find it annoying having so much minerals in my game), maybe i could even suggest you make new batteries/energy crystals with your new ores to make more sense for the drills to have more energy storage...

Diamond in my mod is brought down a lot from Vanilla, I may have to do the same to the Diamond drill in the compatibility patch.

I understand the logic issue, but at the same time if all the better metals let you do was mine new ores and mine slightly faster, would that be enough to make people want to do it?

Logic wise it doesn't make sense that the Diamond tipped Mining Drill somehow loses maximum energy compared to the normal either, but for gameplay purposes it makes sense.

If we were to start at Iron (skipping Copper, Tin, Bronze, Hepatizon) there'd be dozens of metals (depending on what metal packs you use) to build your drills out of. I'd just like them to be a "rechargeable pickaxe" effectively, I like the idea of heading into a mine, mining till its dead, heading out, recharging and dumping your gains, and starting again, and if you told me that if i worked my way up the metal tier list to obtain a top end metal with a nice prebuilt energy capacity, fast mine speed, and can mine about anything I'd jump on it for all those reasons.

• Thats why im saying, just having the tip covered in new metal should not make the drill store more energy, the recipe should include more components "Electric" wise to allow to do that. But let me clear my head a little and later today i will give you a more proper response/idea/suggestion for it.

• Thats why im saying, just having the tip covered in new metal should not make the drill store more energy, the recipe should include more components "Electric" wise to allow to do that. But let me clear my head a little and later today i will give you a more proper response/idea/suggestion for it.

Oh to clarify, my drills aren't just tipped, these you build entirely. 5 metal bar + circuit + battery. Similar to the base mining drill.

Although I may allow the players to diamond tip each one to increase their speed though.

• Oh to clarify, my drills aren't just tipped, these you build entirely. 5 metal bar + circuit + battery. Similar to the base mining drill.

Although I may allow the players to diamond tip each one to increase their speed though.

And what are you going to do with the old drills? remember IC2 drills wont be destroyed ever unlike regular tools.

I just had this idea, how about you make the part of the drill separately? The first part the drill Head and the second part the Drill Base.

You could have the drill base to have 3 different tiers, Batterys/Energy Crystal/Lapotron (If you dont want to make new energy storage items, rest of the recipe also on you) and the logic behind every upgraded drill to have more energy its, because of lighter/better materials it consumes less energy per revolution and more energy storage coming from the drill base (tralalla my own internal justification for it)

• And what are you going to do with the old drills? remember IC2 drills wont be destroyed ever unlike regular tools.

I just had this idea, how about you make the part of the drill separately? The first part the drill Head and the second part the Drill Base.

You could have the drill base to have 3 different tiers, Batterys/Energy Crystal/Lapotron (If you dont want to make new energy storage items, rest of the recipe also on you) and the logic behind every upgraded drill to have more energy its, because of lighter/better materials it consumes less energy per revolution and more energy storage coming from the drill base (tralalla my own internal justification for it)

There should be no need. If he modifies them this would be enough.

Actually it should be possible to give tools certain abilities. And thought there even was a mod out there doing this. Maybe EU-Recovery is an option? So that the drill slowly recovers.

• There should be no need. If he modifies them this would be enough.

Actually it should be possible to give tools certain abilities. And thought there even was a mod out there doing this. Maybe EU-Recovery is an option? So that the drill slowly recovers.

EU "Regeneration" would be an interesting thing actually, I'd imagine it'd be akin to a Solar Cell on the device.

I almost think that'd be a whole new drill though, using a normal drill and a Solar Cell, and if you're in the sun it'll (very) slowly charge.

I almost think that'd be a whole new drill though, using a normal drill and a Solar Cell, and if you're in the sun it'll (very) slowly charge

In that case, you could also create one that makes EU while depleting your hunger bar. If you were to use the Q-helmet with it, it would practically negate the Quantum food function of the helm due to how much hunger it would consume as it's being used...

Course that would be a devastating consumption rate in regards to food supply, but if you've automated your food resources enough to where this isn't a problem, then I wouldn't find it to be a terrible cost, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.