[Suggestion] Carbon fibre bow and arrows

• Yeah, I know, a weapons thread. However, I think this one is different because it wouldn't involve adding completely new and massively powerful stuff (such as a railgun or battle laser) to the game, instead just building on what vanilla Minecraft already has (eg. pickaxe --> drill, axe --> chainsaw, furnace --> electric furnace, etc.).

I see a carbon fibre bow as behaving much like the normal bow, but with greatly increased durability, *less* damage (since carbon arrows are lighter and thinner than wooden arrows) and a much flatter trajectory (along with higher arrow speed?). Perhaps the carbon bow could also be drawn slightly faster to maximum charge than the vanilla bow (presumably, it would be easier to draw a bow made of modern materials for the same arrow energy)?

It would be created like so:

:Empty Cell: :Coal Dust: ..
    :Empty Cell: .. :Coal Dust:

where :Empty Cell: is either string or raw carbon fibres and :Coal Dust: is a carbon plate. .. indicates a gap (so it's crafted like the vanilla bow, but with different ingredients).

Alternatively, the centre piece could be advanced alloy, indicated by :Metal Block::

:Empty Cell: .. :Metal Block:

Likewise, carbon fibre arrows would be a nice counterpart to the carbon fibre bow, which have a tendency to destroy wooden arrows in reality should you attempt to shoot a wooden arrow from a carbon bow. They'd be crafted just like normal arrows, but with refined iron or bronze instead of flint, a carbon plate instead of the stick and perhaps another carbon plate instead of the feathers - like this (again, :Coal Dust: is a carbon plate):

.. :Refined Iron: ..
    .. :Coal Dust: ..
    .. :Coal Dust: ..

8 arrows (maybe even 12?) from one of these recipes sounds like a reasonable output, since the metal tip on a carbon fibre arrow is very small and the arrows themselves are usually hollow (so they won't use a lot of carbon plate material).

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• 16 coal per set of arrows seems a bit brutal.

But I like the idea. Only major problem would be enchanting. It would be overpowered to get an Infinity Carbon Fiber Bow.

Could also place a Lapatron at the tip of the bow for an energy type bow. Makes it's own arrows, etc.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

But I like the idea. Only major problem would be enchanting. It would be overpowered to get an Infinity Carbon Fiber Bow.

Or if these are added, have them use the whole "isEnchantable" Forge hook set to false.

• Or if these are added, have them use the whole "isEnchantable" Forge hook set to false.

Was that added in Forge 1.3.1, or is it in a more recent one?

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

Could also place a Lapatron at the tip of the bow for an energy type bow. Makes it's own arrows, etc.

I'd like this alot... wonder though what the IC-PvP weapon set looks like already, but would love to see this added into it's weapon group as well, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Normal Bow->Carbon Fiber Bow->Energy Bow would be a nice tiered system for adding another Energy Replacement for the normal, Vanilla MC, items.

Not sure, if the above as added, if we'd want to bother with more arrow types, though.

Edit: Also don't think that Forge hook was added in 1.3.1, and 1.3.2 was buggy, so I avoided it.

• To be true, I would rather like original weapons like Bows (I would use a crossbow, since it is a bit more mechanical), Sticky-Bombs, Poison Darts, Bouncing Projectiles than having just plain old weapons.

• This is industrial craft, replacing sticks with carbon fiber is not industrial, forget the bow, and add a rocket launcher

If we don't have the isEnchantable Forge hook yet, it might be possible to set the bow's enchantment level to something pathetic - vanilla MC tools can apparently be enchanted to different levels depending on what material they're made from (note that I've never tried this - only thing I enchant is IC2 stuff to get an infinite battery diamond drill), with wood being the most useless and gold being the most magically capable. If the bow can be set to behave as a wood item, it might not be able to receive good enchantments.

I was actually pondering this earlier in the shower. Fluff-wise, the carbon fibre bow shouldn't be enchantable because it's constructed from soulless, man-made materials. But what if you infuse the bow with gold - put the bow in a crafting bench, put 4 (8?) gold dust around it to get a dusted bow, then put the dusted bow in a compressor to get a gilded carbon fibre bow. That might be enchantable, but perhaps at the cost of either power or durability - shoving gold atoms into a carbon lattice isn't going help ts mechanical properties much.

As for making arrows on the fly, that seems a bit much - think of how much energy it would cost to make an arrow using UU matter. A powered bow would perhaps be better for dealing additional damage by putting a charge on the arrows it fires (single-use projectile Tesla coil, HAYO!). Of course, we're then stuck between being able to recharge the bow's batteries (and as such having an infinite durability bow) or wasting a lapotron when the bow breaks after being used enough.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• This is industrial craft, replacing sticks with carbon fiber is not industrial, forget the bow, and add a rocket launcher

I have seen higher tech bows, which most certainly were not made from sticks and string. So yea, this point is invalid.

As for The coal cost, this is one of the infuriating problems with the *no, you may not grow diamonds* thing, with no obvious solution.

No, you may not take charcoal, and grind it into dust, even though in all other ways it is identicle to coal, because it would be far to easy to make a huge tree farm, make a ton of charcoal, grind it up, then start mass producing diamond cheaply (you have to use the far more expencive method of mass fabrication)

So, as a result, anything and everything else that requires coal dust, cannot be made with charcoal either, including fuel, (which would otherwise be a competitor to geothermal, since it's output is probably sufficiently high to make up for the loss in tin) Gunpowder (although you also need to use redstone) Single use batteries (yep, I still make mass charcoal and burn it from redpower trees, because I cannot use it any more efficiently) and Construction foam (also uses non-renewable clay, redstone, and water, possibly tin unless you use a buildcraft setup to make it go at a reasonable speed)

And now this, which would probably be fine if you could grind up charcoal into Charcoal dust, and then use it for everything EXCEPT for making industrial diamonds.

• Take a gander at the Charcoal Dust addon, the dust can be used for about everything BUT diamond production.

Rocket Launcher? We have a Laser with Explosion mode. Try again.

Bows are for long-long range fighting, while the laser is capped at around 40 blocks.

Charcoal Dust is still a bit OP, imo, for Solar Panels. It is configurable, so I guess I can't complain too much.

• ]Take a gander at the Charcoal Dust addon, the dust can be used for about everything BUT diamond production.

Seen it, but aside from not being updated, and despite the limiting to low tech items, being rejected regardless, hence not going to Be updated, I dont find that particularly useful.

• Seen it, but aside from not being updated, and despite the limiting to low tech items, being rejected regardless, hence not going to Be updated, I dont find that particularly useful.

http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=4393

/cough

• Heheheh... Whoops, forgot to get the link. *facepalm*

Much better, and will certainly go into my next industrial-craft run. Although I suppose my argument somehow left out that it was specifially on the coal useage for the arrows in this, which, since that mod most certainly disallows making carbon plating or fibers, it would not help with that.

As for an on-topic suggestion, If the arrows were to (usuaolly) drop from mobs that you hit, rather than majickally breaking and vanishing like normal flimsy fragile arrows, then I would see that the cost would be reasonable.

• Would be cool if it had a type of piercing effect. If it hits one mob, and hits the ground, you get the arrow back (not guaranteed, but fairly high). However, if it hits two in a row you lose it, guaranteed.

Woo, technological bows.

• Would be cool if it had a type of piercing effect. If it hits one mob, and hits the ground, you get the arrow back (not guaranteed, but fairly high). However, if it hits two in a row you lose it, guaranteed.

Woo, technological bows.

Lol, periecing arrows. 80% chance on hit of creep to pierce, 20% chance to be destroyed. After pierce, can hit anouther creep, with same chances.

• Lol, periecing arrows. 80% chance on hit of creep to pierce, 20% chance to be destroyed. After pierce, can hit anouther creep, with same chances.

I guess you can cap it by that way, or a hard cap.

Theohypatechnically you could shoot an infinite amount of mobs with one arrow that way- until it hits the void, the edge of the map, or the 200 mob hard cap.