Question: ore conversion on transition from IC to IC2

• Now, I know Alblaka stated that until there MAY be released a world conversion tool, worlds with IC and IC2 won't be compatible. But here's the thing: let's say I delete all the items I've accumulated by playing IC in my current world. That includes all the placed IC blocks and all the IC items in the chests (this can easily be restored with NBTedit or TooManyItems later). However, there is still the problem of ores - they are pre-generated in the world, and the transition might wipe them as empty block ID's.

Here's my question: I am not sure how the items that are supported by MCForge work, but surely they still have some item ID's and stuff? Will there be a configuration file where one could define the ID# for ores in a world, so that the conversion is harmless, and all the blocks are preserved by simply entering the same ID's for ores in IC2 as there were in IC1?

• There were some news on the official Minecraft forum regarding patch 1.8 recently.
    It said 1 Important things 1) Adventure mode will replace Survival mode and new Creative mode will be added.
    With this change and the amount of contents added in 1.8 (new biomes generation, rivers, oceans, dungeons, NPC vilages etc.) It's a question if 1.8 patch will be compatible with worlds generated for 1.7.x Survival mode and even if it will be, who would like to play in the old world where you don't have all those new cool things from the new patch ? ;)
    Also they say that 1.8 should come out in a few weeks (I wonder what few is 1-2 maybe ?)

So i guess, coding any type of compatibility with the old IC would be waste of time right now.

p.s. I understand your frustration, I have SMP server running with 4-5 of my friends from school. We have Buildcraft and Industrial Craft there and we spend a lot of time, digging, building and developing it. But oh well we already submitted to the fact that we will have to start over and we decided to make it even better than the old one :D

• Official Post

We have Buildcraft and Industrial Craft there and we spend a lot of time, digging, building and developing it. But oh well we already submitted to the fact that we will have to start over and we decided to make it even better than the old one :D

That's the spirit ^^

@1.8: If Notch really manages to get 1.8 incompatible to 1.7 maps, he will make loads of foes...

• Official Post

@1.8: If Notch really manages to get 1.8 incompatible to 1.7 maps, he will make loads of foes...

1.7 worlds are supposed to work with 1.8, all the new stuff (Larger biomes, and the like) won't be generated into the world until a new chunk is explored (I wish I remember where the tweet was, and I don't feel like diving past all his PAX spam).

• you may remove region files from world, every region is 32*32 chunks (512*512) all expect position of your town, this will force map regeneration on next start, you will lose all ic1 related stuff, but vanilla blocks will stay.