EV and Death

• For those who need some 'security' this may just be your answer!
    Running a uninsulated HV cable 1 block under the ground will kill any players who walk over it, the main issue is that power must be flowing through it. Luckily using EV it will run 2KM! So evena 500x500 base can be surrounded.
    My design generally involves:
    Power Source -> MFSU -> HV trans (powered) -three dot face> HV Cable (can handle EV) -three dot face> HV Trans (unpowered) -> MFSU. I am pretty sure you could link it back around to the other MFSU. But you lose 1 EU for every block, as the MFSU only outputs 512EU/t the HV trans outputs a packet every 4 ticks meaning x = y * 0.25, where x is the power loss and y is the length of the cable, you must supply Y to keep the loop running.

• you would have to supply 2000 EU/t to maintain a constant shocking 2Km wire. good luck :P

Not exactly, Two things you missed

I'm not positive, but the Shock, might not occur every single tick, but every second, or possibly just every several ticks. In this case, it would obviously take much less.

Second, The 2k EUs are not just lost, they just suffer some loss due to resistance. So you might have 1900 left afterwards, to pump back in next tick. That case says you just need 100 EU/t, not 2000 Eu/t.

• 500x500 is way overboard, anyway. Unless you build a goddamn huge city, you'll probably end up with a design of maybe 100x100, 150x150 at most. That's up to 600 tiles, or, if we assume 1 pulse every 4 ticks, 150 EU/t. If you build 500x500, you'll have to use chunk loaders to keep the whole thing loaded and transferring power.

• Using 128EU/t is viable option too. One pulse every 16ticks (every 0.8 sec) is enough to catch anything trying to pass through cable. In that case, only 75*length in EU is lost every minute ! It means only 25EU/t for 400 blocks long cable. Medium sized fence can be powered only with single Geo generator, which is very effective imo.

• Using 128EU/t is viable option too. One pulse every 16ticks (every 0.8 sec) is enough to catch anything trying to pass through cable. In that case, only 75*length in EU is lost every minute ! It means only 25EU/t for 400 blocks long cable. Medium sized fence can be powered only with single Geo generator, which is very effective imo.

Yeah I was going overkill :). I'll try this out ASAP.

• wel, the concept works fine.

i build an small system that sends HV in an loop not more then 10 cable's
    currently i use this an an mob grinding system. is generaly verry effective and can use an simple solar panel array to ceep it fed.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• ... it never occurred to me to use IC2 in a mob grinder. I build a mahoosive mobavator with deadfall when all I really needed was a bank of MFSU and a tesla coil...

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• Defiantly cheaper but not as fun as my network of buried tesla coils. Also the tesla coils may be more efficent. They do use 5000Eu a shot but only use 2Eu/t when they are not doing anything so in the long run it may be more energy efficient.

• Official Post

Defiantly cheaper but not as fun as my network of buried tesla coils. Also the tesla coils may be more efficent. They do use 5000Eu a shot but only use 2Eu/t when they are not doing anything so in the long run it may be more energy efficient.

And much more expensive.

• Defiantly cheaper but not as fun as my network of buried tesla coils. Also the tesla coils may be more efficent. They do use 5000Eu a shot but only use 2Eu/t when they are not doing anything so in the long run it may be more energy efficient.

To expensive
    Tesla coils need to be de-nerfed. I want to be sending jolts of energy at least ten blocks.

• To expensive
    Tesla coils need to be de-nerfed. I want to be sending jolts of energy at least ten blocks.

Well yes i did say this is a cheaper alternative at the beginning of my post but Tesla Coils are not bad, mostly red stone and iron with some copper wires. No need for diamond or having to go to the neather for glow stone or advanced alloys. But still no ware as cheep as bare wires.

The problem i see with increasing the range to 10 is that it would be hard to make a nice controlled perimeter to your base. you would have to keep the coils far away from your perimter fence adding other costs to power and control them. More wires with increased loss. Also the killing zone would be huge making them fires constantly when there is no one near your base. IF they had that large an area they would need some sort of Friend or Foe targeting so that you don't zap friendlies and animals. I would rather they have a smaller area but be cheaper so you could use precision placement. I'm actually starting to like this HV cable solution, i may try it out.