News MC 1.2

• But why didnt they made it possible to have 512, 1024 or even endless height? Performance issues because chunks are 16x16 instead of 16x16x16?

I understand the main issue is lightning blocks. Sun light have to pass whole height and that mean a lot of calculation.

• I privy to believe the reason they pursued both the 4096 blockIDs and the 256 world height was to mildly integrate two popular mods (the 4096 blockID mod and the extended heights mods) into the base game. Both of them are functionalities that should've existed awhile ago, and its nice to see them finally added.

It gives us mod creators plenty of room to work with, which is nice.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• I'm wondering how much of the Mod related Blocks are able to be converted...We just started a small Modded Server and after those news no one seems to think that we could still use our world after the patch...

• Jeb has stated that just increasing the height to 256 underwent a lot of profiling, so 512 and up would need to get a lot of optimization work done. Plus 512 and up take forever to generate using a height mod on my PC.

• Since IC2 got a quite stable release just recently I guess it will still take some time releasing it for 1.2. So no real need to hurry since they should get some rest :P

True.

To the devs: Take a break guys, have a drink of whatever catches your fancy, we can be patient (some of us anyways...)

• I'm actually quite excited for the new AI. He's taking the whole mod intelligence and converting it to a new format. Once in the new format, they will be able to do awesome things, like more mob to mob interaction.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• looking forward to 1.2 as long as it don't come for another month. Swamped with texture pack work atm :).

Also i hope more creatures mod uses some the mob AI

• looking forward to 1.2 as long as it don't come for another month. Swamped with texture pack work atm :).

Also i hope more creatures mod uses some the mob AI

Possibly, the author will probably copy out the AI code and tweak it to each of the mobs. And, the only texture work (MC-wise) is the new lamps.

• Is it mean, that bukkit itself will be merged with vanilla mc code?

Nope, it will be a new API. But probably close enough to bukkit. As specified in the post:
    "The plan is to build a fresh server API, and then extend it to support client-side modding (in one way or another). We will try to make it easy for bukkit users to convert if they wish to do so, but backwards compatibility is not guaranteed. We will, however, help bukkit to be compatible with 1.2, to avoid having a long gap while you wait for the official Minecraft server to catch up."