Does anything beat mining by hand?

• You could build one row of Block Breakers that goes up to say Level 80 and makes Space for the Sun.

Lets assume I want to have at least a width of 10 BB (which is pretty low), so I'd need about 10x80 = 800 Blockbreakers for that setup, which would be about 3200 iron just to build them. So unless you have already more than enough resources, there is no way to build a TBM this huge at the beginning of the game.

• I am not sure what you mean with "rockbreakers" but it requires a mod to generate ore out of anything.

It's from GregTech. One does not know his pack aso include TE ^^.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I've gotten some pretty extreme results from running a 120 EU/t single chamber reactor and 6 miners at once, definitely worth the effort to move it around.

In fact, the output is so extreme that I've shut it down until I make myself a full ore processing plant because it takes freaking forever to macerate/smelt it all, even with induction furnaces and heavily overclocked macerators.

• Official Post

RP2 Tunnel bore still beats all, set it up with some thermopiles inside and it will run forever, doesnt need Matainence, gets you a ton of ores, And just Recycle/Burn all the stuff you dont want (Cobble, Dirt, Gravel...)
    I ran a 16 by 32 Circular bore for 1 hour and got 22 stacks of redstone, 12 stacks of iron, 16 stacks of copper, about a stack of uranium, 23 diamonds and 7 stacks in tin (as well as some other things, silver, gold, lead blah blah blah)
    Only Problem is that its expensive and annoying to make :P

• My final bore design actually had no thermopiles or any other energy regeneration in it when I learned that every block that needs to be moved actually costs more energy, and the thermos produce less than they cost. Eventually all I build in the end was a big bore head (10x20) with a frame of deployers creating the 'tunnel' to stop lava from entering, and a combined catapillar/worm engine (mostly to make sure the 2nd tick only happened when the bore actually moved) and added the pipes for immediate processing of the ores.

In total this was just the bore head + deployers and an additional 20 blocks or so, and about 20 pre-filled batteries. This thing run for over 2 hours straight and created so many resources that I will probably never be able to use them up: almost 200 diamonds, over 2000 iron, and more red/blue dust than the chests could handle (had to thrash them eventually). Building that thing took about 5 hours, researching it about 2 weeks. The initial cost was about 300 iron and copper/tin for the frames as well as some stone and redstone for the logic.

And the best about it: if I ever run out of resources, I just build it again in probably much less time and hook up the pre-filled batteries again. Unlimited resources thanks to Redpower. ;)

• My final bore design actually had no thermopiles or any other energy regeneration in it when I learned that every block that needs to be moved actually costs more energy, and the thermos produce less than they cost. Eventually all I build in the end was a big bore head (10x20) with a frame of deployers creating the 'tunnel' to stop lava from entering, and a combined catapillar/worm engine (mostly to make sure the 2nd tick only happened when the bore actually moved) and added the pipes for immediate processing of the ores.

In total this was just the bore head + deployers and an additional 20 blocks or so, and about 20 pre-filled batteries. This thing run for over 2 hours straight and created so many resources that I will probably never be able to use them up: almost 200 diamonds, over 2000 iron, and more red/blue dust than the chests could handle (had to thrash them eventually). Building that thing took about 5 hours, researching it about 2 weeks. The initial cost was about 300 iron and copper/tin for the frames as well as some stone and redstone for the logic.

And the best about it: if I ever run out of resources, I just build it again in probably much less time and hook up the pre-filled batteries again. Unlimited resources thanks to Redpower. ;)

Instals gregtech
    Huh?
    Storage empty????!?!

• (Addvertisement voice)

Welcome to Blaster's Easy Way to get resorces

Step 1. Standard hand mining untill you have a set up of your choice
    Step 2. Tunnel Bore with a train system filled with a decent amount of coal coke, torches and inventory room. feel free to use Steve's Carts cleaning module
    Step 2.5. as an emergency, use a 3x3 mining well set up for that little boost while you work on phase 3
    Step 3. Arcane Bore
    Step 4. 1 Quarry
    Step 5. RP2 Frame Tunnel Bore with Arcane Bore as a Head (currently still in testing but should theoretically work)

If problems persist, make a minium stone. if you are still having trouble with resorces, you either have a really bad world generation, or you are just that bad at minecraft

This has been Blaster's Easy way to get resorces. Sponsored by Blaster Adventure Terain Generation inc. For further help please speak to the Blaziken. Have a nice day.

• Gregtech is not a solution, it just stretches the time until you have unlimited resources and nothing you could do with them.

I've gone through GT, as far as i'm aware, outside of recepie changes, there isn't any auto mining items. can somone correct me if im wrong.

• I've gone through GT, as far as I'm aware, outside of recipe changes, there isn't any auto mining items. can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Although I don't use Gregtech, I believe the reference is that Gregtech is so expensive that it would drain the large pool of resources.

• I've gone through GT, as far as i'm aware, outside of recepie changes, there isn't any auto mining items. can somone correct me if im wrong.

The automining is not in GT but in IC2 itself. Or in the case of this discussion: in RedPower, which is not related to IC at all but often combined.

Sadly most mods do not actually give you something to do with these resources, so usually you find yourself after a few hours or days with so many resources that you could just switch to creative mode but nothing to do with them anymore. GT makes everything a lot more expensive, but in the end all that it archives is to stretch the time until you sit with too many resources from days to maybe weeks. But then you still have nothing you can actually do with them, at least nothing offered by the mods.

• That's really in the nature of the game itself. Aside from weapons and tools resources are pretty much never lost, and eventually you run out of railroads/beacons/80 foot tall golden statues to build.

• I have a easy way of beating mining by hand now. The Wand of Excavation(with Treasure and Recharging) and a Thaumium Pickaxe(with silk touch and repair). I plan on making a Arcane Bore one day, just to see how it works. I might make a frame mining system with one later, depending on how well it works.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• If you aren't using an arcane bore, then you pretty much just described mining by hand with special tools....

The arcane bore pretty much eats earth shards though, as you can fill entire chests full of enchanted wands without ever seeing one with the charging enchant.

Also, there's a lot of aura babysitting involved.

If I had better control of enchanting I'd love to try a lower potency level used to locate veins though, as it is high frugal levels seem to necessitate high potency levels in the enchantment results.

• Fixed that for you.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• Thats why you grow ALOT of Silverwood saplings first to make a big aura node

That actually *drains* the aura. Nodes are just batteries, they have to get a charge from something. You gotta make crystal clusters to add to it, but even an entire stack of them can't keep up with the bore.

• I honestly thought they helped. good point though with the bore but if you can get a node big enough, theoreticaly the pick/wand will break first