Does anything beat mining by hand?

• Official Post

don't even bother with explosion calculations. just delete huge chunks of land randomly.

• An age recycler now, something that just eats an entire age away, producing scrap. It will be horribly inefficient compared to normal quarrying (lets say, 1 scrap per chunk), and give you no chance to get the ores, in order to be as destructive as possible.

• I don't mind mystcraft balancing too much, because by the time I have the ability to setup ages as I want I can have an IC2 matter fab system running producing as many resources as I need (Both with GT and with IC2 Vanilla)
    Also the fact that its still going through MASSIVE changes with balancing and mechanics, people need to give it a bit of slack.

• So in my opinion, the only thing which beats mining by hand is mining by hand with better tools and ways to detect resources. Frame quarries are massive world eaters, BC quarries are just as bad, except you have to move them by hand and they leave a mess behind, and Turtles are just a more complex world eating system. Personally I would try using Railcraft Tunnel Bores if not for the lack of a Ender Chest cart(which has been in the pipeline for a long time but no mention has been made in ages), and the fact that they can't dump more then 30 blocks of ballast in one spot, meaning they will fail to get past most underground Ravines(and I often find them).

I guess I'll give Steves Carts another go once I get my game running faster. I like mining by handy because I can use a silk touch tool to mine things like coal or lapis and send it through some grinders, but I also like the idea of using Steves Carts because they are easy to automate. And a mix of the two is a good idea, when I need specific resources I can go gather them by hand, but when I just need bulk resources, I can send out a cart.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker