Suggestion: Iron Scaffold - Implemented, Direwolf20 video up!

• Name:
    Iron Scaffold

Describtion:
    Useful for gantries/walkways or even industrial-looking factory floors (google image "steel walkway").
    Basically, it's a scaffold for those of us who have evolved past wooden shenanigans.

Does not need to be reinforced, can either be supported from below or stuck to a wall (or even hung from ceiling?). Otherwise, works like wooden ones. Maybe unsupported ones can reach further?

Recipe: Replace wood with iron, and lacking an iron-stick, uninsulated HV wire will do. Makes 16?

Implemented, currently debugging.

Direwolf20's mod spotlight 12:40, woohoo! Thanks to everyone for their input, and the IC2 team for getting it in!

• How about iron fences? I belive that is 6 refined iron for 12 iron fences? Seeing as the plank to stick ratio is also 2 sticks for one plank, this seems reasonable.

I certainly like the idea, especially if it also allows construction foam to be used with it (that way, I can more easily construct ceilings without occasional dirt towers to support them, although I suppose having concrete columns are ok)

• Ranakastrasz: Fences could work too. Or have something like the plank > stick or RefIron > HV cable recipe, but input plain iron bars and give ReBar? (possibly added to ore dictionary to not conflict with railcraft?). I don't know, but something should replace the sticks.

Garkin: Glad I got the mental image of what i was after across!

Sebra: Works similar to the wooden one, but instead of requiring direct support from below, it can be supported by a wall next to it. Also, instead of sticks, treat it as reinforced if there's either a block below or a non-scaffold block next to it (allowing "floating" scaffolds to extend from it as wooden ones do). Hope that's clear enough :)

• Ranakastrasz: Fences could work too. Or have something like the plank > stick or RefIron > HV cable recipe, but input plain iron bars and give ReBar? (possibly added to ore dictionary to not conflict with railcraft?). I don't know, but something should replace the sticks.

Garkin: Glad I got the mental image of what i was after across!

Sebra: Works similar to the wooden one, but instead of requiring direct support from below, it can be supported by a wall next to it. Also, instead of sticks, treat it as reinforced if there's either a block below or a non-scaffold block next to it (allowing "floating" scaffolds to extend from it as wooden ones do). Hope that's clear enough :)

I was thinking that you would still reinforce the central pieces, just that you use iron fences. That, and support can come from any direction, along with about 2x the support distance over wooden scaffolding.

• I like this idea and endorse it fully, the main thing that id want is this to still be cheap but the wood is replaced with iron, be able to do all wood scaffolds do, while holding up better and allowing much greater distance between vertical spans with or without reinforcing.

• I was thinking that you would still reinforce the central pieces, just that you use iron fences. That, and support can come from any direction, along with about 2x the support distance over wooden scaffolding.

Right, I get you now. Completely forgot about reinforcing further out...

Quick thought, how about vanilla iron bars? 6 iron = 16 bars, could use those to replace sticks? Scrap the auto-reinforcement.

So, current changes from wood scaffs:
    Recipe 3 iron ingot, 3 iron bars in scaffold pattern.
    Supported by block below or solid, non-scaffold block next to it.
    Reinforce with 1 iron bars. (Dropped with the scaffold when broken)
    Support range 8.

How's that sound? Feels like it'd be easier to code, aside from them being able to detect walls for support.

ShadowHunter12: That's what I'm aiming for, and hopefully they'll look much more factoryish than wood ones!

Really appreciate the input everyone, thanks!

• I do not like "Supported by non-scaffold block next to it" part.
    If you want place in on wall, place scaffold inside wall and reinforce it.
    Or place some block to wall and scaffold on it.

• Isn't big support range better?
    Is one block placing hard?
    Is placing one scaffold 1 block deep in wall such a problem?
    Anyway Al will decide.

• Isn't big support range better?
    Is one block placing hard?
    Is placing one scaffold 1 block deep in wall such a problem?
    Anyway Al will decide.

Hopefully it will have increased support range.
    "One block placing" obviously isn't hard, but the point of this is that it doesn't NEED a block underneath - it's fixed directly to the wall.
    Placing scaffold IN the wall is at least 2 problems - effectively reduces support range by one, and doesn't look so good from outside if you have one block thick walls.

• The two main things I'm hoping for are "stick to wall", and "look industrial". Anything beyond that is gravy.

Your numbers feel about right, It's iron, so probably stronger than wood, but it's iron, so heavier than wood. Makes sense that a scaffold held up from below would be able to support more than one simply bolted to the wall, but could be more difficult to code.

I need to get my thinking helmet on and come up with something else now, this is going great!

• in my opinion, the side graphic should look similar to this, but be able to see through it:

http://images.crestock.com/1040000-1049999/1045742-xs.jpg

and the tops should looks like this, which i walk all over on a daily basis at work in a Refinery:

http://www.allmetalssupply.com/GRATING_ADA_COMPLIANT.jpg

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG