Suggestion: Iron Scaffold - Implemented, Direwolf20 video up!

• yeah i work in a refinery 60 hours a week and i know exactly how that stuff is, when i'm bored i watch the scaffold builders throwing stuff up and was actually part of the construction crew for a new Super-Adsorbant Polymer Refinery next door. so i'm all to familiar with the stuff :)

p.s. ther recipie could be 3 iron and 3 refined iron for 16 pieces, i'd probly make it non interactive with construstion foam though. that way you could use it for walkways and catwalks in your factory/house/refinery.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• As far as I'm concerned, if it can be stuck to walls and looks good, I'll be happy. Anyting else about it I don't really mind.

well what i ment was to make a CFoam Sprayer not replace it like it does wooden Scaffold. but then again we could just place the Iron Scaffold after the construction if we can't it to be a walkway, so either way.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• agreed, i might even build an entire refinery out of these and BC Pipes and what not to make it look like a real life refinery instead of a building.

• well what i ment was to make a CFoam Sprayer not replace it like it does wooden Scaffold. but then again we could just place the Iron Scaffold after the construction if we can't it to be a walkway, so either way.

Ah, forgot you could do that. Yeah that makes sense.

Walking on metall grid sounds!
    Well that would be the cherry on the top.

Heh, I like it!

• Backspace deleted my initial post, RAWR!! D=<

Reading about all this talk about CF gave me an idea, Cider - what if there was a second form of iron scaffolding, only for construction purposes, that could be used to act like rebar does in concrete? It'd be nice to have something that was comparable to Reinforced stone, but a MUCH cheaper alternative - it would also give me an actual incentive to build a canning machine, as I usually just build a massive 2+ thick wall of Reinforced stone to keep my reactor from causing any harm to the environment.

Reading about all this talk about CF gave me an idea, Cider - what if there was a second form of iron scaffolding, only for construction purposes, that could be used to act like rebar does in concrete? It'd be nice to have something that was comparable to Reinforced stone, but a MUCH cheaper alternative - it would also give me an actual incentive to build a canning machine, as I usually just build a massive 2+ thick wall of Reinforced stone to keep my reactor from causing any harm to the environment.

maybe make the current "Iron Bars" block work in this manner? (not Iron Ignots but Bars) then we could construct the building however we want and go to town on it with the CFoam sparing for Reinforced CFoam.

And you made me do the same damn thing. Any particular reason undo was disabled?

To be honest that sounds like a separate idea, which could probably (wild guess) be implemented by changing the "hit wet foam with sand, become dry foam" code, to also detect "hit wet foam with iron bars, become reinforced foam". Or what Snoochy said, infact his way sounds better since that's how it's done in meatspace. Sneaky bugger.

Not really a fan of a MUCH cheaper reinforced stone of comparable strength though, would render re-stone pretty much useless.

• align=left]To be honest that sounds like a separate idea, which could probably (wild guess) be implemented by changing the "hit wet foam with sand, become dry foam" code, to also detect "hit wet foam with iron bars, become reinforced foam".

Not really a fan of a MUCH cheaper reinforced stone of comparable strength though, would render re-stone pretty much useless.[/align]

it would be alot more work to install though cause you;d have to spray it all first and them manually insert each Iron Bar place each "block" before it hardens. and sometimes you might miss the stone before it hardens and then would have to destroy it and spray more or just leave it and would have weak spots in your wall. not a bad idea though but i think we should move this idea to it's own thread.

• Here is my "attempt". I don't claim any advanced spriting skills, but I thought it might be fun to try. I relinquish all rights to Alblaka if he decides to use it.

Images

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Right. Kinda forgot it needed textures, and I'm about as artistic as a... um, not particularly artistic... thing.

Edit: Ok here goes, quick and dirty reskin of the wood scaffold. Far from great but it's a start.

MSPaint why do you hate me? White should be transparent.

in my opinion that looks good :) although have the top of it alittle brighter in color. that material is usually made from Stainless or Galvanized Steel so it doesn't rust the darkest color i have seen scaffolding is the color of the stone in the background of these forums, but it's usually the color of your average kitchen knife

Here is my "attempt". I don't claim any advanced spriting skills, but I thought it might be fun to try. I relinquish all rights to Alblaka if he decides to use it.

that'll work! :D the diamond plating looks pretty good, or would we prefer to be able to see though the top like we do leaves, that way we can see if there if anything below the floor like a creeper :p

• Here is my "attempt". I don't claim any advanced spriting skills, but I thought it might be fun to try. I relinquish all rights to Alblaka if he decides to use it.

That just looks bloody amazing. Please Al, use this for the Iron Scaffolds.

• I doubt this will take longer then a few hours for someone to come up with a good sprite.

67 minutes apparently, sirbrandino to the rescue!

that'll work! :D the diamond plating looks pretty good, or would we prefer to be able to see though the top like we do leaves, that way we can see if there if anything below the floor like a creeper :p

Given that the base IC2 is 16x16 textures, it might be hard to get a grate-like pattern (your second pic on page 1) without looking like it's about to fall apart. For simplicity, Diamondplate works for now and maybe someone can come up with a grate for their highres texture pack?

And let's face it, sirbrandino's top face is just too good not to use (and bonus points for being almost seamless), so we're left with sides and reinforced to go.

Opinions on a single cross-bar for sides?

Perhaps use double crossbars for reinforced?

• actually instead of the raised Diamonds like on Steel Diamond Plate, how about make them holes to see through? :D makes it alittle more convinient and realistic. realistic because they usually leave it hollow the decrease weight and strain on taller structures.