Suggestion: More reactor components!!!

• I myself love puzzling with reactor components trying to make nice designs. However since there only a few components there arent that many (good) reactors designs to make. In my list we have already found most if not all of them. Some new components would ad a new layer of depth to designing reactors. Could be improved components or components that are unique in their role.

So share your ideas about this :).

My ideas:

Heat converter:
    1 cooling cell
    1 generator
    1 adv circuit

Cools at 1 heat per sec and in addition it generates 5 eu for every 1 heat cooled (this isnt op max eu output improvement is only 25% if everything is cooled by heat converters). This is more efficient at bigger reactors (because there is relative less base cooling).

Overcharge module:
    1 gold block
    4 adv circuit

Increases output by 100% and heat generated by 200%. Uranium is depleted only 75% faster (so this raises efficiency a bit too). For each chamber you need 1 more for this to function (so 1 chamber you need 2 and 6 chambers you need 7). New 'upgrade' slots need to be added to the reactor where you can put this in.

• Im rather more curious about your ideas, i mean they were so awe spiring in your op that i would like some more in depth to those clever components /trolololling

Anyway i dont really see what new components could be added that would not totally destroy the balance of the actual components of the nuclear reactors.

• uranium graphite pebble
    think pebble bed reactors

To craft:
    a uranium ingot surrounded by coal dust

whats it do?:
    at a certain temperature range it will stop reacting with adjacent uranium and as a result drop efficiency and stop generating excess heat (effectively becoming as if it was a uranium cell standing on its own) it will then resume reacting with adjacent uranium when the temp drops. normal cells will still react with the uranium graphite pebble even if the pebble is to hot to react with the cell

whats so special about that?
    it makes safer uranium dense reactors but will be much less efficient if allowed to run its natural course.

Now what are your ideas rick?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• ive got an small addition to this:

upgraded version of the heat distributor, at an high price.

it wil use:
    1 heat dis
    3 coolant cells
    3 advanced circ's
    2 reactor platings.

what does it do? do the work of the heat dis much more efficient, rather then doing adjacent components it regulates all components withing 2 blocks away of the dis.
    not sure how much heat it would be able to dis thou..

edit: I LOVE PUZLING TO :D

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• heat recovery device(needs better name)

how to craft?:
    some combo of a integrated heat dispenser, a generator, maybe some carbon plates?

what does it do?:
    it does NOT add to the reactors cooling. instead each tick it generates EU equivalent to a fraction of the heat damage it takes that tick

whats so special about that?:
    you sacrifice precious space to squeeze out a little more EU.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• I don't know, randomly I'll say: "Iridium Reflectors" A modified Iridium plate that only reacts with Depleted Isotope Cells that are being enriched. (And ONLY if they are being enriched) It adds an extra enrichment pulse, but also causes them to generate more heat. It has zero effect on the EU produced, except that it attempts to bake your reactor even faster.

Or "Primitive Steam Turbine" It produces 0.5 EU/t per 1000 heat of the reactor hull. Unfortunately, as the name suggests it requires water. After X EU are produced it needs to be replenished, by putting it on a crafting table with a water cell (or multiple). Say after 1000 EU, you refil it...or it does nothing and takes up precious space.

Maybe "Reaction Catalyst Cell" which slowly depletes itself, heating the reactor up if the heat is less than 200 * Catalyst Cells present. It's primary use is in breeders, trying to raise the heat to the desired reaction level. As ever, calculate at your own peril!

Then there is "Integrated Transformer System" It takes up space but it stores energy and throttles the reactor output to packets of the desired size, 32, 128 or 512. This helps make sure you never burn out your wires if you have a power spike. There is a downside though...if you store too much energy in the reactor, that will start generating heat.

"Energy Storage Node" It works with the Transformer, increasing the 'safe' amount of energy you can store in a reactor. This could be very useful in a burst run class V reactor. Each Node increases energy storage capacity by X. Sadly, excess energy will still cause heat...just not as fast. If you don't pay attention, you may find yourself ducking under your work bench and covering your head. Yea... Duck and Cover...always keeps you safe.

• fusion crystal
    uses the uranium around it to create fusion

how to craft it?
    a electrolyzed watercell in the middle with cooling cells in the corners and diamonds in the remaining spaces

what does it do?
    when it is surrounded by uranium cells there is a chance each tick for it to randomly generate a EV eu-packet and ALLOT of heat each. fusion crystal can generate 40 million eu over its lifespan

its a relatively cheap but VERY dangerous way to generate allot of power. it would be tempting to make a cheap high output reactor that can take a spike every 20 ticks or so but what if you get spikes 20 ticks in a row? better load some ice stacks just to be safe.

• Hey Rick, here ya go man, this is an old post i had tosses up, just disregard the EV Iridium Wires, it already got slapped down by FenixR

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• molten cooling cells
    uses molten metal to conduct heat away

to craft
    a tin block surrounded by 4 iridium ores

whats it do?
    absolutely nothing until the hull reaches 75% heat these kick in and start acting like cooling cells but are 5 times more effective and will continue to cool the reactor till it reaches 50% heat then the metal solidifies and the molten cooling cells shut down

iridium upgrade need i say more?

• sounds good... maybe usefull as an backup coolant in some more "fragile" reactors

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• integrated freezer unit
    an active eu sucking cooling unit'

to craft
    not sure how to arrange this one but the ingredients are a compressor, pieces of integrated reactor plating, and cooling cells

what does it do?
    each integrated freezer unit draws 2eu/t and are 3 times more effective than normal cooling cells, but if there is an excess of cooling the freezer will freeze the external water cooling and any normal cooling cells in the reactor breaking them and replacing them with ice blocks

whats so spacial about that?
    the machine must be balanced or it runs the risk of crippling part of its cooling system or it must depend heavily on freezers and as a result cut its eff even more

• 2 iridium plates, 1 compressor, 2 coolant cells, 3 ice blocks and 1 advanced cuicut

:Iridium: :Compressor: :Iridium:

:Electrolyzed Water Cell: :Electronic Circuit: :Electrolyzed Water Cell:

:Tesla Coil: :Tesla Coil: :Tesla Coil:

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• would be GREAT in stabalizing some breeder reactors.

• thinking cheap but dangerous on this one so iridium may be a bit much.

• Shouldnt this be a cooling cell surrounded by iridium?

Carbon Rod

3 refined iron and 6 carbon plates placed in rows with iron being in the middle.

Is about 2 times more effective at cooling than a cooling cell but will catch fire (raise heat and get destroyed) if the temp goes above about 75%

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Shouldnt this be a cooling cell surrounded by iridium?

not really tin cells are made with 4 pieces(which turn out 16 cells), and even iridium plates don't use that much iridium. oh wait you were disputing the tin not how much iridium it uses(lol derpy me) let me try again

advanced IRL nuclear designs have suggested using molten metal such as sodium or lead as a reactor coolant because these materials can hold more heat and still conduct it away as a fluid this is simply a translation of that concept in to IC2. as for using a cooling cell if you ask me all that would get you is a cooling cell that can last to 20000 heat but since its still just water its not going to be more effective. also note I said tin BLOCK not ingot

• i think you should inpliment iridium in there somewhere cause iridium in real life has a melting point of 4471`F / 2466`C. iron melts at 2,800`F / 1538`C. that is about the 75%-50% range your looking for as a molten coolant: in which case you could make a perminent coolant cell with the recipie of:

:Iridium: :Refined Iron: :Iridium:

:Iridium: :Electrolyzed Water Cell: :Iridium:

:Iridium: :Refined Iron: :Iridium:

to make a Iridium Coolant cell.

also with such a recipie the maintain a reactor at 50-75% it makes for perfect breeder reactors, so once a player burns though like 32-64 Uranium Cells then they would have enough energy to make these Iridium Coolant Cells to make a Breeder Reactor in order to start recharging their old cells and make better use of their uranium ores as well at the initial cost of and expensive reactor setup.

• it looks like the molten cell but surrounded by horrendously expensive iridium plates I think its going to take more than a stack of uranium to make that

• it looks like the molten cell but surrounded by horrendously expensive iridium plates I think its going to take more than a stack of uranium to make that

nah, specially if you use scraps, also once you make a couple of these you'd never have to worry about making more cause i'd imagine once you get a few of these in a reactor then that reactor would be virtually imposibly for a knowledgable player to cause it to explode, so you'd be set for life with a fairly easy to manage Breeder Reactor, then every uranium ore you found you could make NDU-cells and charge them. and even in a self controlled MArk2-3 reactor you can get 28million energy from 6 cells, 28million EUs with scraps yields just under 168 UUM, so even if you made the iridium and diamonds from the matter you'd still come out alittle ontop. like i said, it's alot of effort but it's pay off in the long run, kind of like hobbies and tradeskills in real life, the most expensive part is starting up and getting all your tools and materials, after that then it because significantly profitable.

• how many cooling cells does it equal?