[suggestion] More batteries

• with my idea it takes a stack of dye and a stack of wool to make like 5 dusts. do you think that's balanced or should we go for easier(when i have this worked out im going to post it in its own thread)

yeah, alittle cheaper, specially if your using red dye cause red is fairly rare, even using bones you only get like 1-2 red flowers from each bone in a field if your lucky. and since you usually need alot of redstone to make something then 16-32 isn't really that much. and once you get iron picks or a diamond drill it'd be faster just to go down and find 1 deposit and get like 32-52 dusts from that on deposit in like 2 minutes.

try to moderate how much time it takes between finding Red Flowers AND copper, as to how long it takes to go down to your mines which are already built and dig out like 50 blocks and find some redstone. make finding the Ores alittle more effective and faster, the red dye and copper solution if just for a little quick start for something like RE batteries.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• you can agriculture roses or in the future harvest iron golems for them to but yeah the recipe needs to be shortened so how about rose dye + sand + inksack = redpaste then surround the copper ore block with redpaste, cook, and smash

EDIT: actually squids are a pain to hunt so rose dye+sand=redpaste cook in furnace to get activated redpaste surround copper ore block with it to get redplastered ore block then cook to get redinfused ore block and then place and smash with pickaxe to get 1-3 redstone dust

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• you can agriculture roses or in the future harvest iron golems for them to but yeah the recipe needs to be shortened so how about rose dye + sand + inksack = redpaste then surround the copper ore block with redpaste, cook, and smash

EDIT: actually squids are a pain to hunt so rose dye+sand=redpaste cook in furnace to get activated redpaste surround copper ore block with it to get redplastered ore block then cook to get redinfused ore block and then place and smash with pickaxe to get 1-3 redstone dust

but with that your using up a Block ID for something as simply as redstone dust :p, it's be better to use inksac, red dye, and cobblt, then macerate it or just dye sand red

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• hmmm forgot about the block id limitations
    wouldn't dyeing sand red be too easy? my worry is someone calling op on this

rose dye+sand=redpaste cook it and there is a 1 in 8 chance of getting a piece of redstone dust and glass panes the rest of the time? maybe surround the sand with rose dye? i think cause of what it is used for there should be a metal ore in there somewhere maybe just replace the sand with an ore block?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• hmmm forgot about the block id limitations
    wouldn't dyeing sand red be too easy? my worry is someone calling op on this

rose dye+sand=redpaste cook it and there is a 1 in 8 chance of getting a piece of redstone dust and glass panes the rest of the time? maybe surround the sand with rose dye? i think cause of what it is used for there should be a metal ore in there somewhere maybe just replace the sand with an ore block?

i think taking a red dye, a copper ore, and a cobblestone and combining it, red dye for color and magical effect, copper dust or conductivity, and cobble for the "Stone Median" and then macerate the Red Stones. also for alot of people it's not very easy finding a red flower to start with unless you kill a skeleton and start mass growing grass in hopes of a red flower, and even if you start growing red flowers for the dye, you're not going to get much very quickly, maybe like 12-36 by the time you get a diamond drill and start mining the redstone blocks

• in my opinion the melon idea seems reasonable, only adjust this to use Lemons, an new fruit (also edible) grown by crossbreeding some unknown plants.

since lemon was already used in so called "ancient battery's" it uses an reaction between 2 copper plates inside of the lemon, creating energy. an little bit of it.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Snoochy true but i think there should be a low yield "no macerator option" cause the idea doesn't boot-strap you need to mine for redstone to get redstone from a macerator in the first place(its the same problem with redwheat) i think red dye and copper ore to craft an item that leads to redstone will be fine(copper ore has the stone medium built in and its easy to find near the surface) so how about this rose dye in the top center and a copper ore in the middle creates redrock(A) (needs better name) this is macerated for a random number of redstone (1-5). or you can throw apples in to the remaining slots to get redrock(B) which can be cooked in a furnace for a lower random number of redstone (1-3)

negative on lemons, melons use the same letters and are hard enough to get that and melons puts us one step closer to unmodified IC2 skyblock

• Snoochy true but i think there should be a low yield "no macerator option" cause the idea doesn't boot-strap you need to mine for redstone to get redstone from a macerator in the first place(its the same problem with redwheat) i think red dye and copper ore to craft an item that leads to redstone will be fine(copper ore has the stone medium built in and its easy to find near the surface) so how about this rose dye in the top center and a copper ore in the middle creates redrock(A) (needs better name) this is macerated for a random number of redstone (1-5). or you can throw apples in to the remaining slots to get redrock(B) which can be cooked in a furnace for a lower random number of redstone (1-3)

negative on lemons, melons use the same letters and are hard enough to get that and melons puts us one step closer to unmodified IC2 skyblock

ahh true, i forgot macerators need redstone. :p lol, ok so dying sand red and black and add copper :p

• There is another idea that came to my mind:
    Some machine that drives a spike made from some metals into a normal melon on rightclick or redstone activation.
    It could look similar to a piston, with the spike instead of the piston head, just to get an idea.
    This way, one could directly use his melon field to power his base and there would also be no crafting issues. :)
    (Depleted melons would disappear / could be removed by pistons)

Edit: Obviously, the energy would be emitted from the machine’s block.

• the passive automated exploitation of melon power in vanilla IC2 would be a bad idea. it would basically render all forms of green power obsolete if melon batteries are to survive as an idea it needs these disadvantages to offset its advantages
    Disadvantages:
    1.you must be present to craft the battery like you would a golem (redpower could automate this but redpower can also automate watermills)
    2.you must either dabble in agriculture or explore abandoned mineshafts to get melons seeds in the first place
    3.you must be present to clear the used up grey melon(if you find a away around this you are clever enough to deserve it)
    4.unless your getting wire from a renewable source like ferru or grinding pigmen this isn't actually renewable energy

Advantages:
    1. renewable energy (assuming your wires came from a renewable source) is a pretty strong advantage
    2. use spent grey melon blocks as recycler fodder and building material?
    3. have a power source almost any where you can grow melons
    4. power in superflat and skyblock (i don't know what you would power there cause you have no copper, rubber, or redstone but you still have power (electric fence?)
    EDIT: forget fences power macgyver'ed machines with it! http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=5180

• i think th melon battery should just vanish instead of turn grey, that would require another block ID. also once a melon grow onto a farmland it turn back into a normal dirt block, so you'd still have to come back and plow the ground occassionally, and then come back again later to make them into batteries. so this still requires 2 manual passes of a player to make these into batteries. as long as a player is not trying to power mass fabs i could see this being a plausable energy source for their needs, all you would need is an uninsulated copper wire per melon. so even these would still require alittle bit of "fuel".

so this ideas balance would be a decent amount of power at the cost of a bit of manual labor and maintenance, copper wires to activate them which you would never get back even after the battery is depleted.

• I think any wire (be it tin, copper, iron, gold, insulated, uninsulated, painted, plain, or fiber) could make a melon battery just what ever you have on hand the tolerances are looser for primitive stuff. melons already grow on dirt. this will use one block id any way for the battery block and i can't think of any other way for it to tell you how much juice is left other than changing color(its a melon with a wire sticking out of it its not like it has a gui) but if using old batteries as a building material is a problem I think it should still drop a melon husk item to be used as recycler fodder

• Only uninsulated non fiber cable - You need metal to react.
    Only melon seeds as drop - they are not used.
    Tin cable give out low EU/t, Copper - more, Iron - even more, gold - none (nobble).
    Each melon have some EU to release, so Tin cable start low EU/t and slowly fades to 0. Iron cable work faster but fades faster too.
    If melon EU was not used, it lost.

• Only uninsulated non fiber cable - You need metal to react.

fiber can be made with silver or redstone(which would most definitely make power)

Only melon seeds as drop - they are not used.

I'd rather be able to pick up the block and place it else where

Tin cable give out low EU/t, Copper - more, Iron - even more, gold - none (nobble).

no i think they should all output the same (don't want people spamming low out put cheap wire if their needs are met they might not spam)

Each melon have some EU to release, so Tin cable start low EU/t and slowly fades to 0. Iron cable work faster but fades faster too.
    If melon EU was not used, it lost.

no. having the power fade like it was coal in a furnace buffer is impractical.

• silver does not generate electricity when it's under acid, it merely oxides into a black dust. Glass and diamond are actualy insulaters and restone doesn't produce EUs. also, why would you waste a fiber glass cable on a cheap energy source that depletes and causes you to perminently lose it anyways? this idea was originally intedend to be a Teir 1, early game energy source apart from having to try and stumble on a melon seed in some mines. so why require them to use the more expensive metals? Copper, yes, tin, maybe. and if you want to move the melon then move it before you make it into a battery, that way he wouldn't have to code it for the melons to maintain and record how much energy is in it as a placable block, that would be like trying to make MFSUs maintain their energy when moved. also for every change in color you'd have to use a different block ID, just don;t have it change colors and have it vanish when it's drain, or don;t have it vanish and just require the player to make Detector Cables to signal when the melon is dead. but i'd prefer them just vanish. also, i'm sure running an electrical current and increasing acidity would destory the seeds or not allow then to germinate in the first place, so no seeds, that you be a moderation thing, you can either harvest it for seeds or power.

also i think these should probly produce around 8-16Eu/t when you first get them and then increase that with Crop Cross-Breeding to make Super Melon Batteries eventually. producing up to 52eu/t?

• redstone does produce EU throw it in your macerator's battery slot and try it. I'm not using real world physics to explain how this thing work (its more hand wavy "its alive and is red on the inside maybe there is some redstone in it" so if its a chemical reaction consuming the wire to make EU its cause of trace amounts of redstone in the melon not acid (at least not real life kind of acid) as for why some one would waste a fiber cable to make a battery i really don't know its like why some one would power their macerator directly off redstone dust? even single use batteries are more efficient. machines can change their appearance and texture based on whether they are on(look at a geothermal generator) so not why not the battery? you don't need to make a new spent battery block its still the same block you can still even put cables next to it and they will connect you just won't get any power. you did have a good point about it remembering how much juice it has left so lets say if you move it it defaults to grey zero power mode.

EDIT:also making the battery initially emit more than 5eu/t would make it unusable with my macgyver'ed machine suggestion

• [EDIT:also making the battery initially emit more than 5eu/t would make it unusable with my macgyver'ed machine suggestion

i suppose but that was a different post :D also i was looking for a possible renewable alternative to using mass solar panels.

• fiber can be made with silver or redstone(which would most definitely make power)

Fibercable count as insulated so no acid corrosion - no EU.

I'd rather be able to pick up the block and place it else where

It's too fragile. Place melon, then use cable. Do not damage or it broken. And I want only top direction connected.
    And make this block "sittable" (bad word?) to charge some inventory ;)

Quote from passinglurker

no i think they should all output the same (don't want people spamming low out put cheap wire if their needs are met they might not spam)

Long life weak or short life strong. Or medium. There is no place for spamming because of low gain in all cases. And you always lose metal.

no. having the power fade like it was coal in a furnace buffer is impractical.

Fading EU leads to planning. Steady EU leads to planning in other way. Let creators choose. Let them test both ways.

also i think these should probly produce around 8-16Eu/t when you first get them and then increase that with Crop Cross-Breeding to make Super Melon Batteries eventually. producing up to 52eu/t?

If you harvest slices but place whole melon how would you count acid?

• considering the forces we are taping for power are well how do i put this? MELONS! I think that 52eu/t is a little extreme also melon slices would not be able to hold that they are more acidic than others you would need to make a whole new crop (how about you try and tap a big basket of apples? :D ). the reason I chose 5eu/t is to cut down on power spam lag while still being able to use tin cables. you can't make a transformer or batbox for micro voltage cause people will spam them for cheap power transmission so a batbox with no input was the only option.

what do you think of pumpkin batteries to go with the melon bateries? they would work the same but would only hold 1/4 the eu or less

• also i think these should probly produce around 8-16Eu/t when you first get them and then increase that with Crop Cross-Breeding to make Super Melon Batteries eventually. producing up to 52eu/t?

If you harvest slices but place whole melon how would you count acid?[/quote]

you mean like when you harvest the newer more powerful melons? maybe have the cross-bred melon be harvested as a whole, and if you break them then they revert back to a basic melon. you wouldn't want to have to tear apart a melon and put it back together anyways... it'd bruise to much :p