[Suggestion] macgyver'ed machines (aka tier 0)

• Sorry if this is allot at once
    Names:hammer macerator, extraction still, screw compressor, machine brick, heating element, chemlab

Description:
    like how the unofficial advanced machines are counterparts to the induction furnace the Macgyver'ed machines are counterparts to the iron furnace. they are cheap crude inefficient and are meant to either get you started or for when you are to resource starved for anything else. the hammer macerator, extraction still, and screw compressor all do the same jobs as their basic machine equivalents but at half the speed and they are powered by directly burning fuel(coal, charcoal, wood, reeds...) they can also be fitted with a heating element item(by just dropping it in the fuel slot) to enable the machine to accept micro voltage(5eu packet max) the element pulls 2eu/t.

the chemlab is an equivalent to the crop analyzer but the chemlab is not handheld it must be placed in order to be used. if enough fuel(about as much fuel as a RE battery) and a seed bag are placed in the chemlab 3 parts of the gui will change color corresponding with the seeds stats and the seed bag will now display its name. if food items and fuel are put in the chemlab it will have a 1 in something chance to make fertilizer. the chemlab can be fitted with a heating element.

the machine brick is the tier 0 equivalent to the machine block.

Recipes:
    X=empty
    T=tin wire
    emotes=what they represent
    O=glass bottle
    M=machine brick

the machine brick:
    X X X
    :Refined Iron::Refined Iron: X
    :Refined Iron::Refined Iron: X
    ingredients: 4 refined iron
    2 machine bricks can make a machine block

the heating element:
    T T T
    X :Refined Iron: X
    T T T
    ingredients: 6 tin wire, 1 refined iron

the Macgyver'ed machines (hammer macerator, extraction still, screw compressor):
    the recipes are the same as thier basic machine equivalents but replace the machine block with a machine brick, and the electronic circuit with a furnace. the iron furnace can also be crafted with a furnace and a machine brick

chemlab:
    X M X
    O O O
    X :Advanced Furnace: X
    ingreidents: 1 iron furnace, 3 glass bottles, 1 machine brick

this would go well with the melon battery suggestion http://forum.industrial-craft.…age=Thread&threadID=5148&

still looking for a good way to display recipes if anyone knows one.

EDIT: to clarify it was never intended for these to have overclockers the only upgrade available to these machines is what fuel you are using (wood->coal->heating element)

EDIT:optional spitball of an idea I though of after I started this thread
    Name:bronze jackhammer

Description: counterpart to the electric drill the bronze jackhammer is cheaper, cruder, slightly slower, and can either be charged by crafting an empty jackhammer with a piece of coal to make a partially charged (about 1/8 per coal) bronze jackhammer(doable in 2x2 craft grid or surrounded with coal in a 3x3 like a cf sprayer) or by an electric source such as a battery, batbox, or chestpiece. like the electric drill it does not break it only runs out of power.

its also can't mine obsidian, and its up to an addon dev or alblaka to decide its battery life compared to an electric drill

Recipe:
    the recipe is the same as the electric drill but instead of 5 refined iron ingots, an electric circuit, and a RE battery the ingredients are: 5 bronze ingots, a heating element, and an iron furnace

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I like this idea, its good for the beginning and later for mining outposts far away from your base. I'd use it, if already available :)

• Official Post

Cool, with mods like Better Veins you WILL need these machines, because they are cheaper to build as the most other machines. ULV no problem a single really manned Watergenerator (okay two) and a Watersource and i have the Energy i need in Mac-Gyver-Stytle. Actually i'm short of copper because i found only 16 Oreblocks of it (3 for the Macerator + 26 out of the macerated dusts = only 29 at all).

I would support this Idea of improvised Machines.

• yeah the idea is interesting but even in the end game, some people would simply mass prdocue these in a factory to save on resources until their server starts feeling it. then they might start with overclocking. maybe that would be their limitation. these are alittle cheaper but cannot be overclocked at all and opperate alittle slower then your current Tier 1 machines.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• these are coal powered or pull the same power as a normal machine but run at half speed so really they suck more power in the long run so I don't think people will spam these till the server feels it(at least no more than anything else in IC2) these would also make industrial pvp and prison servers more practical cause when something bad happens to your machine its not as big of a loss

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• these are coal powered or pull the same power as a normal machine but run at half speed so really they suck more power in the long run so I don't think people will spam these till the server feels it(at least no more than anything else in IC2) these would also make industrial pvp and prison servers more practical cause when something bad happens to your machine its not as big of a loss

if they only ran off coal then i could see how these would bee great Outpost or "in the mine" machines and i could see them being used, that's quite a few more block IDs though :(

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• I'd change the recipes a bit.

For example the macerator, to make it more MacGyver-Style:

X :Bronze Pickaxe: X
    :Intergrated Plating::Advanced Machine::Intergrated Plating:
    X :Generator: X

:Bronze Pickaxe: = Stone Pickaxe (for macerating, since no hammer is present in the game xD)
    :Intergrated Plating: = cobblestone
    :Advanced Machine: = Your machine brick
    :Generator: = Normal Furnace

• there is no furnace where does the coal go? also hammer is just a name(ie subject to change) it suggests the macerator uses a hammer motion (like how the rotary macerator uses a rotary motion) to macerate. I think the recipe should stay the same (and same goes for the screw compressor I know some one will bring up that next)

EDIT: DOH! ninja'ed but i still am sticking to my original recipe

• And what about using 8 Copper instead of the Iron for a machine brick? Would make more sense to me and you dont waste any precious iron on these low tier machines :)

• in industrial craft refined iron is used to symbolize mechanisms (its what puts the screw in screw compressor) so yes you MUST use refined iron its almost the same amount of iron as in an iron furnace. if you don't like it then live in the stone age a little longer and buy the normal machines.

• And what about using 8 Copper instead of the Iron for a machine brick? Would make more sense to me and you dont waste any precious iron on these low tier machines :)

by the way, your iron isn't wasted. if you keep chopping at it with a Wrench then you'll eventually get the machine block back instead of the lower version of the machine, for when your ready to upgrade.

• Official Post

by the way, your iron isn't wasted. if you keep chopping at it with a Wrench then you'll eventually get the machine block back instead of the lower version of the machine, for when your ready to upgrade.

First of all, WHAT IS A MACHINEBRICK!?!
    Second, why you are CHOPPING with a wrench!?!
    And the third, if you want to get the MachineBLOCK back, then use a Pickaxe/Drill and not the Wrench!

Just wanted to say that.

• chopping with a wrench?... you obviously don;t work with alot of tool in real life or in a refinery/industrial setting, people use wrenched for everything in refineries. they are used as pry bars, hammers, Cheater-Bars, dead weights for pulley systems, even as a...wrench. lol also, incase you didn;t notice Steve "chops" the machine with his wrench. also, yeah i forgot destorying it with a non-wrench yeilded the machine block/brick as well, it's been forever since i made that mistake.

P.s. if you don't know what a machine brick is then your not an engineer or industrial. /trolololol

• Official Post

chopping with a wrench?... you obviously don;t work with alot of tool in real life or in a refinery/industrial setting, people use wrenched for everything in refineries. they are used as pry bars, hammers, Cheater-Bars, dead weights for pulley systems, even as a...wrench. lol also, incase you didn;t notice Steve "chops" the machine with his wrench. also, yeah i forgot destorying it with a non-wrench yeilded the machine block/brick as well, it's been forever since i made that mistake.

P.s. if you don't know what a machine brick is then your not an engineer or industrial. /trolololol

In real life the wrech is something like a Swissarmytool, because you can use it for everything but in IC² it counts as fist. Yes you can even break Blocks with it like with a Fistpunch, but steve can do that even WITHOUT a Tool.

To the machinebrick, if i translate that into my native german then i get "Maschinenziegel", "Maschinenstein" or better "Maschinenziegelstein" and all these are not even make sense. And i'm studying Programming so i'm not really industrial but an Inventor/Minecraftengineer.

• chopping an iron furnace with anything drops an iron furnace so chopping a macgyver'ed machine will drop that macgyver'ed machine (macgyver doesn't use a wrench the world is his wrench)

EDIT:just like how a normal clay brick is a step down from a brick block a machine brick is a step down from a machine block I hope that clears things up

• lol, the Machine Brick was discribed at the begining of this thread :)