[Suggestion] - Miner Upgrades

• Hey guys.

Before you bite my head off, let me just begin that, in my view, this is NOT the same thing as an upgraded miner.

Instead, these are 3 upgrades that you could install on the Miner, kind of like the overclocker/energy storage/transformer upgrades you can have on your other machines. However, for the sake of balance (though as I play SSP exclusively, it would be a non-issue in my case), you can only have ONE of these upgrades on the miner at a time, and they can't stack with themselves.

First off, let's have a look at the Topographical Scanners Upgrade. This is aimed at people who want something that can compete with the Quarries of Buildcraft, while still maintaining the miner's precision - when installed on your miner, it will upgrade your OD or OV scanners to allow the miner to search in a 7x7 or 13x13 area, respectively. However, the boosted scanning range results in a higher power draw of...I dunno, 10-15 percent more EU/t, maybe? Gimme some ideas with what you'd think would be acceptable. It'd be made as follows:

G W G
    R C R
    X X X

G = Glowstone dust
    W = Gold Wire
    R = Redstone Dust
    C = Integrated Circuit
    X = Nothing

Next up, we have the High Speed Rotors Upgrade. With this installed on your miner, it'll mine its standard 5x5 or 9x9 area...except it'll do the job 25% faster than a miner without this upgrade installed. The problem is that those rotors require a rather substantial power draw to keep going, not to mention cooled - a 20% increase to the normal draw, in fact. To make it, here's how:

O I O
    W C W
    X X X
    O = Cooling Cell
    I = Refined Iron
    W = Gold Wire
    C = Integrated Circuit
    X = Nothing

Finally, let me introduce you to the Precision Mining Upgrade. I wanted to save the best for last, and I felt that this would do it. Ever felt that, good as the miner is, you wish that it'd let you know it'd stumbled across some coal, redstone, lapis or diamonds so you could take your Fortune III pick to get more of each? No more! By installing this upgrade on your miner, the drills will target these veins in the most efficient manner, guaranteeing double drops of those four blocks - all other ores (Iron, Tin, Copper, Uranium, etc.) will still only yield one block of each. Though as you might suspect, such calculated precision means that the miner not only harvests these veins at a slower rate (a 50% drop in speed, in fact, if it comes across any of them), it also takes 30% more energy than normal for the miner's computerized brain to perform all the high-level calculations to most efficiently harvest these resources. Hope you've got some deep pockets, because it requires the following to be crafted:

P L P
    F A F
    X X X

P = Carbon Plate
    F = Glass Fiber Cable
    L = Lapotron Crystal
    A = Advanced Circuit
    X = Nothing

These are just tentative recipes, but I at least wanted to get them out here for review. That said, what do you guys think?

• Thanks - I put a fair amount of thought into these three when I thought them up. :D

100% double drop could only be done for coal, redstone and diamond.
    Otherwise players could abuse from miner to duplicate stuff.

I believe I specified it'd only double those three's drop rates, as well as Lapis - you'd still only get single blocks of iron, tin, etc. ore. Lemme clean up the original post to make it a bit less ambiguous, now that I've taken another look at it.

What do you think? 10-15 percent increase a good ballpark for the Topographical upgrade? Or am I a bit high/low?

• 100% double drop could only be done for coal, redstone and diamond.
    Otherwise players could abuse from miner to duplicate stuff.

This means all resources which do not give ore except Uranium.
    I state it to include other mods resources like Gems and Nikolyte.

• Thanks - I put a fair amount of thought into these three when I thought them up. :D

I believe I specified it'd only double those three's drop rates, as well as Lapis - you'd still only get single blocks of iron, tin, etc. ore. Lemme clean up the original post to make it a bit less ambiguous, now that I've taken another look at it.

What do you think? 10-15 percent increase a good ballpark for the Topographical upgrade? Or am I a bit high/low?

and uranium?

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Nope. No Uranium, as it's not affected by Fortune.

It vexes me that some of the other mod ores like Nikolite wouldn't be affected by the Fortune enchantment, though...

yeah but that's because fortune is a Vanilla MC thing and Uranium was added from IC2 so it's not on the "proc list" for a chance of doubling it. this miner upgrade is part of IC2 so i think it should affect it. or allow you to mine the Uranium Block that you can then macerate for 2 ores.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• With that in mind, I guess it'd be Alblaka's choice whether or not to have Uranium be affected by the upgrade. I'd personally still say no, as I've never gotten to a point where I needed a ton of uranium, but that may change.

• With that in mind, I guess it'd be Alblaka's choice whether or not to have Uranium be affected by the upgrade. I'd personally still say no, as I've never gotten to a point where I needed a ton of uranium, but that may change.

you don't run and operate 8 nuclear reactors at once for a SMP server do you? :D lol

• you don't run and operate 8 nuclear reactors at once for a SMP server do you? :D lol

8|

Er...no. I've never played online as it stands - and even one reactor takes me hours to get set up (between the wiring for the reactor's on/off switch, finding a water source to add extra cooling, and encasing it all in a 2-layer thick box of reinforced stone, I'm lucky if it's done in the day I start work on said reactor).

• alittle Off topic but: once you get the hang of what all it takes you can construct the reactor part in like 5 minutes, and the room takes about 5-10 minutes, wire shouldn't take to long as long as you already got it made and i'd run that out the top before you even build the room. also last i heard a wall of 2 thick wouldn't stop a blast. so if so please let me know cause i've been using 6 thick of CFoam to stop blasts during experiments which will never happen again thanks to the ReactorPlanner application i got from the Nuclear Engineering thread. also. just so you know for future assistance. if you make several reactors and set them up on a proper redstone clock, then you can get like 800EU/t from each reactor if you have like 12, and have it so only 1 or 2 are running at a time and they will supply you with 800eu/t for 24 hours.

• i guess i never truely posted my opinion. i agree that these miner upgrades could be implimented since they are only "Minor" upgrades :D