seismologic survey

• to continue on the industrious way, i'd like to suggest seismology surveys.
    such research is used to determine the composition of the soil.
    In this case it would tell the locations of underground lava lakes, and caves/caver
    ns and such.
    this to facilitate geothermal energy production
    i would see it working with a few components.

a central processing apparatus that records .
    some sensors that transmit the data to the recorder;
    craft some explosive charges, not tnt, to generate sound or 'thumpers' ala 'dune'.

results of the survey yields some data, so repeated surveys are needed to refine the map.

extra's:
    some gadgetry like messages that the thumpers are registring with the recorder.

possibilities to make printouts of a certain level that you can navigate.

crosssection survey results, showing you what is below you. :?:

• i know of that thing, but it has very limited range and does not show much of lava and holes. i frequently try to use geothermal energy, but it's a bit of a hassle to get the well positioned correctly over the lake, not to mention the difficulty to actually find one.
    the miner is a tad unreliable as it will not really tell what the problem is why it stopped.

• when a miner has stopped simply retract the drill and look down if you see a light you struck lava if your not sure jump :D quick death=bedrock, slow death=lava, no death=water or grab a jet pack and take notes of what you see on the way down

its not that this is a bad idea but that this can already be done with equipment already in IC2 and some imagination

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

i know of that thing, but it has very limited range and does not show much of lava and holes. i frequently try to use geothermal energy, but it's a bit of a hassle to get the well positioned correctly over the lake, not to mention the difficulty to actually find one.
    the miner is a tad unreliable as it will not really tell what the problem is why it stopped.

Shaftmining anyone? I found way too much Lava in my shafts.

• go down to layer 12 or 13 and take a few lappacks and a mining laser set to Long Range, then slow spin circles as you sheer a level of the world away, revealing everything around. if you'd like to see how i do it i'll making a Youtube Video for you when i get home. i'll probly make it right along with the video of my UUM Waterfall Feature that i designed in my bedroom :p or my Factory.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• when a miner has stopped simply retract the drill and look down if you see a light you struck lava if your not sure jump :D quick death=bedrock, slow death=lava, no death=water or grab a jet pack and take notes of what you see on the way down

its not that this is a bad idea but that this can already be done with equipment already in IC2 and some imagination

and a good portion of random chance.poking holes every so many blocks., not to mention the power it uses for drilling them.

i had a good underground lake in my last world, but i pretty much messed upon drilling towards it the first time because i got disorientated and drilled 20 blocks to far north.
    anyway, i'd like to hear alblaka's verdict.

it's industrious orientated.