[Suggestion]-Coal dust burned in Generator

• Hello,

In a coal-fired power plant they grind the coal to dust, so more of the coal can be burned.
    I thought: this could be included in IC²! This mean a higher Energy output, ie 6000 instead of 4000 Eu. whatever you mean.

Cheers

• oh damn! I searched for "Coal dust in Generator" and I found nothing related. But, there they don't say anything about burning it in the generator. Coal dust should burn better, or why power plants would grind the coal?

Coal dust should burn better, or why power plants would grind the coal?

It used as a method of purification prior to burning. Coal is macerated into a dust and saturated with water. Then, it is centrifuged to remove the Sulfur, Lead, and other toxic impurities from the slurry mix. Afterwhich, the coal is then dried slightly, and thrown into the power plant furnace for heat -> electrical generation. So really it's just a means to 'clean' it and remove elements that would become airborne from the resulting combustion...

Course that does little to tide against CO2 emittions, but that's a separate matter altogether...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I doubt they just grind the coal and place it to burn just like that.

Coal in dust form its HIGHLY volatile when exposed to heat. Of course the coal must be floating around in the air for better explosiveness (Or its a condition for it to be volatile maybe).

Also i believe that coal/bio fuel cells are just watered down to make them a little more stable so they burn more instead of just exploding more. Adding Gunpower to that may or may not make it more explosive i don't really know.

I doubt they just grind the coal and place it to burn just like that.

Coal in dust form its HIGHLY volatile when exposed to heat. Of course the coal must be floating around in the air for better explosiveness (Or its a condition for it to be volatile maybe).

You do know, that, you're disagreeing with an environmental geologist who knows more about coal than you probably ever want to in your life time, right?

The only thing that coal in dust form has over flat "raw" coal is increased surface area for thermal inductance and shorter reaction time. Just because it's a dust, doesn't mean the energy output changes at all. Maybe a burn rate change, but that's about it...

And coal is by no means 'volatile' on it's own. It actually takes a fair share of heat to ignite a 'good' piece of coal due to how tightly bonded carbon is to itself. Course, when it does finally burn, it does give off an very high degree of heat to counteract the input many-fold. Hence, the primary reason why coal has been a fuel source for so long is due to its actual stability in on-site conditions, and its effective thermal yield when used as a fuel for energy...

Edit: And yes, there is a difference between 'airborne coal dust' and 'coal dust'... don't site wiki if you don't understand why...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• No, you are thinking of this ... which is different as you can also do this with household flour... :rolleyes:

So unless you throw the damn dust in the air to start off with, it's not going to rapidly ignite like that. Hence why those types of explosions occur due to the rapid surface area/volume ratio with air that the dust experiences... In a closed box where heat creates a controlled burn, you do not encounter this problem (unless your engineer sucks at making proper containers)...

• Did you also read the part bellow?

Coal dust in energy generation

For use in thermal power plants, coal is ground into dust using a device called a powdered coal mill.[1] The resulting product, called powdered coal or pulverized coal, is then generally used in a fossil fuel power plant for electricity generation. Pulverised coal is a significant dust explosion hazard, as large quantities are suspended in air for transfer from the mill to the power plant. Explosions have occurred when the flow drops and flames in the burning chamber pass back along the ductwork delivering fuel.

• Significant does not equal constant... Yes, there is a possibility, but it doesn't mean you will constantly have to guard against it. If that were the case, coal plants couldn't exist...

Also, Wiki does not replace college level education and experience... Believe it or not, it can be inaccurate in situation basis, or, God forbid, wrong...

• dang magus and fenixR are killing each other and i don't have popcorn!
    POP, pop, POP! Pop, pop, POP! POP! Pop, POP, pop!
    DING!
    FIXED!
    NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM!

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Killing each other? Not at all, its obvious Magus Win, like he said Internet self learning can't beat college education. Although Experience wins against both.

Oh, well gee... it just so happens that I have BOTH education AND experience! Fancy that!

On Topic: Just install Custom Recipes, and add 'Coal Dust' to its item dictionary, and give it the same burn time as coal/charcoal... GG