[Sugestion] Lumbermill

• I saw a post, from oct 2011 suggesting a lumbermill, and didn't see it on the compendium as a refused Idea.

Thinking of it, it might be nice. The idea behind a macerator is to enhance your mining output, why not do the same to wood. Since it is a valuable resource and get your chainsaw and spend 1-2 hours cutting trees isn't something to say: "How exciting!".

It could be done just by making a craft recipe with your chainsaw + any log in the crafting grid, giving you 6 planks, instead of 4, or by adding a new machine, the Lumbermill. A 50% gain I think it's ballanced.

Also the process could generate a subproduct: Wood dust (kinda) that could have a higher chance to generate scrap on recyclers. Be used as fuel in furnaces or generators at the same rate as sapplings.

Also, placing planks again in the lumbermill could give you more sticks, instead of 4 per plank, could get another 50% gain, 6 sticks per plank.

Or even, use the wood dust on a compressor could give you wood boards that combined in a shaped recipe 8 + slime ball could give you a fire proof wood.

What you guys think?

• from the compendium

*Please also use the forum's search function.

meaning repeating ideas outside whats in the compendium may also be against the rule(just a heads up for the future)
    now as to your suggestion my first concern was wood basically already quadruples its self with a crafting grid but after reviewing the 4 other threads i found on the subject I haven't found any other solid reason why not so it may just float.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• from the compendium

meaning repeating ideas outside whats in the compendium may also be against the rule(just a heads up for the future)
    now as to your suggestion my first concern was wood basically already quadruples its self with a crafting grid but after reviewing the 4 other threads i found on the subject I haven't found any other solid reason why not so it may just float.

If you consider wood planks as a building material only, yeah it already quadruples it self, however, did you ever take a look in how many recipes uses wood in this game?

And yeah, I did the research and tried to come up with something to add to that, cause I think it would be nice to have a machine to enhance my wood output. If you are the kind of player that build a lot of contraptions, like Etho in his show, you will see that the amount of fences, fence gates, ladders, signs required are INSANE.

A powered machine would be very handy in this matter.

• Official Post

What you need its a wood farm, not a machine.

This.

With Redpower i made already a Treefarm, and now with RP pr5a i got more Controlblocks then i ever need for that.

Etho made a Lumbermill with VanillaMC, so why we need it?

• tough break but the tree farm argument is a really good argument

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"