Suggestion: Upgraded Mining Laser

• Name: Upgraded Mining Laser or Mining Laser+

Description: I was thinking of being able to upgrade the Mining Laser with a lapotron crystal. It would have double the current energy capacity of the Mining Laser. But in keeping with the lapotron crystal properties, the upgraded laser could only be recharged in a MSF unit. Whether it's recharged instantly or over time doesn't really matter all that much. And for the sprite it could just be a blue laser instead of red.

Recipe: Where o=Lapotron Crystal and /=Mining Laser

[ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [o] [ ]
    [ ] [/] [ ]

or

[ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [o] [ ]
    [/] [ ] [ ]

• I was thinking of being able to upgrade the Mining Laser with a lapotron crystal. It would be made by just putting a lapotron crystal above the mining laser in the crafting bench or player 2x2 crafting square and would double the energy capacity of the Mining Laser. But in keeping with the lapotron crystal properties, the upgraded laser could only be recharged in a MSF unit. Whether it's recharged instantly or over time doesn't really matter all that much. And for the sprite it could just be a blue laser instead of red.

I kind of like this one, upgrading via a Lapotron, but rechargable via the MFS. I think it should recharge over time, not to overpower it or anything.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something, what if it was possible to build the Laser without the Energy Crystal, and the EC act like a cartridge or battery and when the Crystal runs out of EU, it pops out and requires a charge, also provides the option to pop a Lapotron in it for more power.

To insert the crystal, simply place the crystal diagonally above the Laser in the crafting grid.

• Like I said, whether or not it charges instantly does not really matter. If recharging it instantly causes it to be op then make it over time. And if there is a problem with the MFS unit charging it, make the crystal recharger recharge the entire 1 million EU the lapotron crystal can store very slowly. It doesn't bother me all that much. The suggestion is really open for changing to make it easier to implement where necessary.

EDIT: That makes the entire idea a lot better. Being able to switch crystals whenever you want is a great idea.

• I like the upgrade idea, I don't like the interchangeable "clips" idea.

Perhaps the upgraded version would also have longer block-break reach or another mode?

• I like the idea of putting Energy Crystals into the laser
    I also like the idea of upgrading it to make it Lapotron Crystal compatible
    The laser should have an mode for hunting as much damage as the long-range but without the ability do destroy blocks or burn things (exept mobs :D )

• In my original idea the laser didn't change at all, no other special modes or anything. Just a proposed upgrade to the crystal in the laser so you can get more shots off without needing to return to charge that often. Adding more modes onto all the new ones the wiki says there will be is just impractical.

• If I remember correctly, Alblaka said he will never increase the duration of high-powered crystal items because it's supposed to offset their power.

He did increase the capacity of the mining laser TWICE, though (once, when he switched it from battery-charged to crystal charged, and once in IC2, where he doubled the capacity). Also, Quantum Armor lasts FOREVER compared to Advanced Nano Armor from IC1. So we may see another increase in Laser capacity, who knows...