Potentially No-Solution Challege: Complete Automation?

• Aside from the need to supply input coal (dust) to re-enrich uranium (for the sake of argument, let's assume one has a chest full of coal dust, so no need to produce or macerate it) would it be possible to set up a heat-neutral Mark 1 reactor, extract it's spent fuel (Red Power, presumably), insert new fuel, take the spent fuel, put it in a breeder* (which likewise also maintains its own fueled state), extract the re-enriched cells and put them back into storage used to supply the Mk1 reactor with fuel.

I've been fooling around with this and the only conclusion I've come to so far is that you cannot rely on a CASUC system. The refueling and cooldown systems tend to get in each other's way (so while theoretically possible to maintain, if a uranium cell gets into the slot where a water bucket is supposed to go there will be a catastrophic failure in the future, in the opposite case, the reactor cools down and becomes non-operational).

Which leaves the maximum recator efficiency at 2.33 (for EU) and 1 to 5 breeding (the Mark X Perfect Breeder).

The "Mark 1-2.33E" reactor uses three fuel cells, the perfect breeder one (producing four), so in theory, this should be self-sustaining entirely without player intervention (aside from a supply of coal dust, though with the EU output and a mass fab, it could fabricate enough UU-matter to craft into coal making the device 100% self-sufficient and only use a small fraction of the total EU output: 517,528 EU to create and macerate 20 coal, enough to sustain 3.33 cycles).

The challenge, then, is to create a tube/pipe system capable of performing the proper exchanges without causing widespread devastation.

*Preferably a heat-netural hot-breeder, though not required. The only requirement is that it will re-enrich enough uranium to supply itself AND the main reactor in a 1:1 ratio (1 used-uranium to 1 re-enriched uranium).

• Would it be possible to maintain a specific amount of uranium cells, and depleted cells in the breeder, in a reactor with logistic pipes? If that's possible then it would be easy to run a redpower 2 cooling system at the same time without flooding the reactor's slots needed for cooling with other stuff.
    Edit: second question, will a logistic pipe system autocraft depleted cells if it has the crafting recipe and the materials needed for it when the supplier requests for it if it doesn't have any depleted cells in storage?

• Official Post

CASUC is possible, let the Reactor reenrich your Cells and then shut the Waterbucketcoolant and the Reactor OFF, pull out the Reenriched Cells, replace them with depleted ones, and switch the Reactor and the Waterbucketcoolantsystem back ON.

This is in fact, only possible with BC3!

• Already built one.

I put raw uranium in, I get EU out. Nothing else needed.

Here's how it works : raw uranium gets taken by a filter to a compressor, then the uranium ingots go to a tubestuff autocrafting table where they are made into near depleted uranium cells. A separate pathway makes coal dust from coal from uu-matter. An autocrafting table then makes the near depleted uranium cells into depleted isotope cells.

The depleted isotope cells go into a large chest that has a filter on it, attached to a colored wire, attached to a bundled cable on a specific IO-expander.

Anyways, there are 3 CASUC perfect breeder reactors, and 2 fuel burner reactors. A computer program runs that when the breeder needs to be refueled, it activates a filter on the reactor to vent the contents of the reactor, which are sorted into chests. The recharged isotope cells are sent to a pathway that makes them into fresh fuel.

The computer then switchs IO expanders to one to order that reactor to be refueled. I use a transposer in the tube pathway that is closed normally, and I open the tube to select a particular reactor to receive the reactor contents.

Anyways, I refill the reactor with the exact special layout needed for this particular breeder design. I then suck empty buckets out of the casuc (cooling timer is turned off) and replace them with lava buckets 5 times to heat the breeder to 10k heat.

Upstairs there are 2 fuel burning reactors that are refueled the same way, using the same computer.

The biggest problem this reactor has is that Eloraam's computers are very buggy : I am forced to smash the computer with a pick and replace it every time I want to use it to refuel the reactor. Otherwise, it stops correctly selecting the right IO expander. I know it isn't a mistake I made, because it works perfectly every time, multiple times in a row even, so long as I don't reload the chunk. If this bug were fixed, the automation would be 100% - all that would be required would be to insert more uranium ore from time to time. Each uranium ore becomes approximately 9.8 uranium cells, which each produce 8.6 million EU. I use scrap made from enormous amounts of ice (from 12 snowmen and 96 block breakers and 96 singularity compressors) so each 8.6 million EU becomes roughly 43 UU-matter. So, each uranium ore becomes about 421 uu-matter.

All of this is built in SMP, legitly, with no cheats or op powers used, from material I personally mined or obtained legitimately.

I won't give a map download, but if you log in to my SMP server at brickedtechnology.blogspot.com, you may examine this reactor system to your heart's content. Please don't grief, and have lots of download bandwidth when you visit - the complex eats about 80 kilobytes/second if you are there (if you can't download that fast, you get kicked by the game).

• CASUC is possible, let the Reactor reenrich your Cells and then shut the Waterbucketcoolant and the Reactor OFF, pull out the Reenriched Cells, replace them with depleted ones, and switch the Reactor and the Waterbucketcoolantsystem back ON.

This is in fact, only possible with BC3!

Nope. I use redpower 2 and I don't even have buildcraft installed.

• Official Post

Nope. I use redpower 2 and I don't even have buildcraft installed.

You need BC3 only to detect the fully Reenriched Cells in the Bucket-CASUC-Reactor to trigger the shutoff (nothing else), but i have not installed BC too. If you are very experienced with breeding then you can use a timercounter for that (RP's timer is a bit bugged with the time-set-command, Bed and reloading chunks, therefor an additional Counter to count the Seconds)

• You need BC3 only to detect the fully Reenriched Cells in the Bucket-CASUC-Reactor to trigger the shutoff (nothing else), but i have not installed BC too. If you are very experienced with breeding then you can use a timercounter for that (RP's timer is a bit bugged with the time-set-command, Bed and reloading chunks, therefor an additional Counter to count the Seconds)

Nope. The computer counts time accurately. The <x> Ticks word counts time by actual ticks elapsed measured by the computer. Assuming the computer is in the same chunk as the breeder, it will be perfectly accurate, always. Execution suspends when the chunk is not loaded. World time changes do not affect it. TIMERS, despite their name, are actually slaved to world time. Note that computers have a number of bugs, one of which is that additional IO expanders apparently stop working when the chunk is reloaded. (for this reason, unfortunately, I can't use a computer to run the breeder 24/7 without intervention. However, if the bug were fixed, I could)

Also, RP2 can detect the fully reenriched cells if you want to do it that way. Just put a filter on an unused face of the reactor, with a re-enriched cell in the filter slot. (which is a completely new item ID, so the filter will not be confused). Item detector on the filter, wire the filter and the item detector to distinct colors on the bundled cable attached to the computer. Have the computer periodically pulse the filter and monitor the item detector color to see if it turns on. (have the item detector in backstuffed mode attached to a closed transposer).

Once it turns on, wait a few more ticks, then dump the finished cells from the reactor. (actually the entire reactor contents is the way I do it)

• Official Post

Also, RP2 can detect the fully reenriched cells if you want to do it that way. Just put a filter on an unused face of the reactor, with a re-enriched cell in the filter slot.

ONE Problem: The Cell will be ejected BEFORE the Reactor shuts OFF, but it needs to be AFTER it shut OFF. Thats why i said you need BC3.

Good to know that the RP-Computer works, without restart on chunkload like the CC-one.

• ONE Problem: The Cell will be ejected BEFORE the Reactor shuts OFF, but it needs to be AFTER it shut OFF. Thats why i said you need BC3.

Good to know that the RP-Computer works, without restart on chunkload like the CC-one.

You still don't need BC3. Once you detect the reenriched cell ejected, you know to shut the reactor down and cycle the cells.

It's a bad idea to try to swap the reenriched cells for regular cells with the other reactor contents still in place. The reason is that ice still backstuffed in a filter (or in transit in a pipe) will enter the reactor while you have made the spaces by removing the re-enriched cells. That messes up your cell layout.

The better way (and way that avoids several other related problems) is to completely dump everything in the reactor, with the ice supply turned off, sort everything, then rebuild the reactor layout from scratch. You need a computer to do this conveniently, since it would involve a whole bunch of glitchy state cells and counters otherwise (or an entire building of redstone dust)

• Official Post

You still don't need BC3. Once you detect the reenriched cell ejected, you know to shut the reactor down and cycle the cells.

It's a bad idea to try to swap the reenriched cells for regular cells with the other reactor contents still in place. The reason is that ice still backstuffed in a filter (or in transit in a pipe) will enter the reactor while you have made the spaces by removing the re-enriched cells. That messes up your cell layout.

The better way (and way that avoids several other related problems) is to completely dump everything in the reactor, with the ice supply turned off, sort everything, then rebuild the reactor layout from scratch. You need a computer to do this conveniently, since it would involve a whole bunch of glitchy state cells and counters otherwise (or an entire building of redstone dust)

That's a much better way to do it, but requires a complete Overhaul of the CASUC-Design.

This would get very complex soon, so i wouldn't even try to waste my time on that. :P

• Neat to hear it's been done. I'm a little wary over messing with the computer blocks as I don't know FORTH (I'd need a fifth, first). Sounds like they're a titch buggy anyway.

I've got Red Power and Build Craft available (BC2, I think though; I don't have access to logistics pipes as far as I am aware).

In any case, it's sounding a little to complex for me to build from scratch.