Automatic Lava Mining?

• So I'm kinda new to all this minecraft stuff, but i've made several pretty advanced steps already.

I recently built a miner with a pump, and my entire operation is lava powered. I'm wondering how I can modify my IC2.CFG file to make the miner pick up lava that is not directly under it. I know the ValuableOres list is what I have to modify, but im not sure what the lava number is or how to correctly add it to the line. My line is default and looks like this:

valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3

I'm sure it's simple, and i'm getting tired of manually filling cells with lava for an hours worth of energy :p

Thanks for any help in advance :D

• Official Post

You're incorrect as well. There is not "Flowing" and "Source" lava. There's just Flowing and Still one, both of which can be source or not.

Whether a block is source, is determined by it's Meta-Data. I'm not entirely sure whether the metavalue for a source block was 0, 1 or 7.
    Try 10-x:1,11-x:1 in config and iterate the x.

• Official Post

You're incorrect as well. There is not "Flowing" and "Source" lava. There's just Flowing and Still one, both of which can be source or not.

Whether a block is source, is determined by it's Meta-Data. I'm not entirely sure whether the metavalue for a source block was 0, 1 or 7.

NEI was a bit confusing me, because it shows two diffrent ID's and i understood that as Source and Flowing. I think Source has Metadata 0, because in the Nether the flowlength of Lava is a bit higher and it would be more logical to code just a higher limit instead of another Sourceblockheight.

• well it does mine lava, but only if it's in the mine shaft below the miner...I want all the lava in a 9x9 square around it.

So when you say iterate the x, you mean substitute 0,1, or 7 for it?

• Official Post

well it does mine lava, but only if it's in the mine shaft below the miner...I want all the lava in a 9x9 square around it.

So when you say iterate the x, you mean substitute 0,1, or 7 for it?

If you want ALL THE LAVA, then i would suggest you to use the Redpowerpump in combination with a IC²-Pump and four Geothermals around it to make a Geothermal Energygenerator.

• well i tried an ic2 pump and geothermal generator together over a source lava pool and it works but drains the lava underneath it. And then when I replenish the lava, the pump explodes, so not very fun.

• Creating a system to pump lava out of the ground is easy. First you need a IC^2 pump, then you will need the following from RP2 pr5b2:

2x grates
    1x pump
    ??x fluid pipe (?? changes based on the distance to your lava source
    32x thermopiles (I think, still tweaking this step out)
    1x Battery Box (at minimum)
    ??x blue alloy wiring (again amount changes on distance, and this is to connect your pump to the battery box

To set this up you will need a to place the grate on the ground and then build a wall around the grate. Then place your IC^2 pump so that there is a 1 block space between the grate and the pump.

Below ground (assuming) you will set the next grate in the lava source and use the screwdriver to change the grate's orientation so that the connector is pointing upwards. Connect the fluid pipe to your RP2 pump and then build a thermopile complex.... Basics of building the thermopiles can be found on the internet.

Now connect the blue alloy wiring to the pump and set a switch next to the pump and turn it on.

Now your pump will be sending lava up to your IC^2 pump and you have complete automation.

Picture examples of my pump test:
    Topside images first:

Source level images (do apologize for the quality):

////****** NOTES AND WARNINGS ******////
    WARNING: Make sure you have the pump above the exit grate, as the RP2 pump WILL continue to pump until either a) the source is empty or b) the lava reaches some sort of ceiling.

Note: The nice part of the RP2 pump is that is can path find looking for lava source blocks. This makes draining a area so much easier and limits the amount of times you have to check on a source.

Note: You will have to monitor your storage to prevent the lava cells from ejecting to the world, although in my setup that breaks the circuit from continuing. As the new empty cell is not called until the lava cell passes through a item detector.

WARNING: make sure you build some sort of barricade to protect your lava source from a accidental water bucket spill... I didn't and ended up destroying the source.