[suggestion] coal to electric adapter(its possible so is it a good idea?)

• the basic idea is an item that you place in a furnace or another mod's coal burning block's fuel slot that would allow that block/furnace to connect to the Enet and run off electricity. Is this possible code wise? not possible code wise

ok new plan instead we have a eu powered heater block machine that pumps a new fuel item called "hot air" into a furnaces fuel slot. hot air doesn't stack, is worth a minimal amount of heat, and isn't recyclable to deter players from using it with out the heater block. using a heater block is less efficient than burning coal this is purely an item of convenience especially when dealing with coal fired machines from other mods(is this a good idea?)

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Depends:

-Its the block only for smelting or is supposed to be making energy? (If for smelthing why bother? If its producing energy you could always burn the material in a generator)
    -Does this item use Unique Fuels? (Its more easy to add the special materials so the generator can produces the energy, in the case of burning items like coal and the like.)
    -What exactly is the block you have in mind?

• This should be named like "EU heater" if I understand right.
    Good example would be RP2 Alloy Furnace. Smelt alloys by EU instead of fuel or BT. But BT is much better.
    It is fun idea but I do not see, where to use it.
    Edit: Oh, yes. Stone Engine ... But Forestry has better way.

• Depends:

-Its the block only for smelting or is supposed to be making energy? (If for smelthing why bother? If its producing energy you could always burn the material in a generator)
    -Does this item use Unique Fuels? (Its more easy to add the special materials so the generator can produces the energy, in the case of burning items like coal and the like.)
    -What exactly is the block you have in mind?

-its mainly for running smelting jobs, and the reason to bother is two fold
    1. cheap way to expand your smelting capacity(well the materials are cheap but efficiency will suffer)
    2. use the fancy coal fired furnaces and other machines from other mods especially minor mods that don't add their own power system
    -the item is like a heating element it takes electricity and makes the furnace think that it is stoked with coal(or other burnable fuel)
    -I don't have any particular block in mind I'm mostly thinking blocks from the minor mods currently out there or yet to be created(for example i saw a furniture mod that adds a oven(2 slot furnace that only cooks food but very quickly) and a washing machine(repair machine basically) I would like to add them to my base but their coal powered which makes them feel out of place)

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• The BLOCK in particular needs some extra lines of code to make it part of the energy net and use Energy, have a internal buff, between other stuffs.

You are basically making the Carbon powered into Electric powered, there is no adapter to that without refitting the block. (E-net works with Blocks, not with items inside the block)

Short answer is: No i don't think so.

• The BLOCK in particular needs some extra lines of code to make it part of the energy net and use Energy, have a internal buff, between other stuffs.

You are basically making the Carbon powered into Electric powered, there is no adapter to that without refitting the block. (E-net works with Blocks, not with items inside the block)

Short answer is: No i don't think so.

ok then how about this. a heater block that can be placed next to the furnace and it will place eu generated "fuel items" in the fuel slot when there is work to be done

• ok then how about this. a heater block that can be placed next to the furnace and it will place eu generated "fuel items" in the fuel slot when there is work to be done

You would still need to refit the other block so it can accept the heat coming from another nearby block, and if you are going to do that you might as well make it electric and save yourself some trouble.

The best you can do from a mod i saw somewhere called heatstone iirc, you made an item called "Heat Stone" (From plain cobblestone iirc), you placed that stone into a furnace (Any would do, EU, BT or regular), then you would receive a "Warm Heat stone" that then you could place it in the Fuel slot of any furnace and it would work like a coal and provide heat to the furnace... And in this case its already made but i don't know if its updated.

• You would still need to refit the other block so it can accept the heat coming from another nearby block, and if you are going to do that you might as well make it electric and save yourself some trouble.

The best you can do from a mod i saw somewhere called heatstone iirc, you made an item called "Heat Stone" (From plain cobblestone iirc), you placed that stone into a furnace (Any would do, EU, BT or regular), then you would receive a "Warm Heat stone" that then you could place it in the Fuel slot of any furnace and it would work like a coal and provide heat to the furnace... And in this case its already made but i don't know if its updated.

found it its hasn't been updated since 1.1. what i was thinking for the adapter block is that it would actually place items in the furnaces fuel slot("hot air" would probably be the best name for the item) the hot air item would then burn like coal

• added the heater block to the top post

• Neat crossover idea.

The biggest caveats I see are

• If you have the block create coal or another item, then the heater becomes a poor-man's mass fabricator.
    • Since the point is to make it 'burnable', it would be burnable in a generator. You would have to make sure that the EU generated in the generator wouldn't exceed the cost to heat the item.

If I may offer a possible implementation?

• Lava cell into Extractor --> Depleted Heater Cell
    • Depleted Heated Cell into Heater --> Heater Cell
    • Heater Cell is a burnable like a lava bucket in that it will return the 'empty bucket' (ie, a new deplete heater cell)

*shrug* Thought it would be an interesting parallel with creating a cooling cell.

If you wanted another use for the cell, perhaps it would behave similarly as lava bucket does in a reactor; likewise leaving a depleted cell rather than an empty bucket.

Is this useful towards what you were thinking?

• 1. that's why the hot air item is so crippled it would be more trouble than its worth to be used in any way other than what is intended
    2. that's a given hot air would not be able to be used to make a perpetual motion device

1. maybe but I thought furnaces don't handle containers if you burn a bucket of lava in a furnace then you burn the bucket with it. right?

• 1. maybe but I thought furnaces don't handle containers if you burn a bucket of lava in a furnace then you burn the bucket with it. right?

Changed in one of the lastest snapshots, but we won't be seeing anything made with this because most likely than not we won't see a good chunk of mods updated to 1.3. (Since they won't be releasing the mod api yet, maybe some shenanigans done in those snapshot that makes modding minecraft somewhat more difficult with the current tools.)

• Official Post

Changed in one of the lastest snapshots, but we won't be seeing anything made with this because most likely than not we won't see a good chunk of mods updated to 1.3. (Since they won't be releasing the mod api yet, maybe some shenanigans done in those snapshot that makes modding minecraft somewhat more difficult with the current tools.)

Most likely than not we will not see...? I don't think you haven't something not said, what you didn't mean.

• Changed in one of the lastest snapshots, but we won't be seeing anything made with this because most likely than not we won't see a good chunk of mods updated to 1.3. (Since they won't be releasing the mod api yet, maybe some shenanigans done in those snapshot that makes modding minecraft somewhat more difficult with the current tools.)

I was going to state how mistaken this was, as I remember a fix to 'the bucket problem' being a bonus feature of ModLoader at least a year ago (back before I used IC). However I tested it, and while the bucket was preserved in the iron furnace, the stone model ate the bucket. So it seems the fix was somehow unfixed.

I may mess around with reinstalling incrementally and see if there is a combination where it works. Until then, I withdraw my implementation idea, but not my support.