Long Wires and Chunk Loading

• So I'm curious about how chunk loading affects long transmission lines. I'm contemplating building a line in which the generating station would theoretically unload at some point.

I figure I could use multiple spaced out MFEs to provide a segmented line that would eventually deliver power to the end (assuming the chunks are loaded periodically), but is that really necessary?

Do I even need to worry about chunk loading?

• Official Post

Anything in unloaded chunks behaves as if it wasn't there.

Using such a line of storages should work, the last loaded one will get charged. Once another MFE+its wiring is loaded it'll get charged from the MFE before.

Chunks will get loaded only if somebody is in "sight" range which is about 160 blocks.

• No, you are everytime within a grid of nine by nine chunks with 16 by 16 blocks each, this means the maximum distance is (4+1+1) * 16 - 2 blocks, therefore 94 blocks.

• It is indeed 144 x 144 blocks around you, 9 chunks into each direction (10x10), that are being kept "active" but I was also told by a skilled programmer that in SSP, chunks will not get unloaded once you've been in them, can't confirm the latter though.

"All errors should be fixed, as much of the code was rewritten."

• It is indeed 144 x 144 blocks around you, 9 chunks into each direction (10x10), that are being kept "active" but I was also told by a skilled programmer that in SSP, chunks will not get unloaded once you've been in them, can't confirm the latter though.

There might be some buffer, but if chunks didn't unload you'd run out of RAM if you went trekking :sleeping:

• I just made a 360-block power line and placed an MFU at the end. Everything worked fine.
    Then I re-launched minecraft and loaded the same world - MFU was still charging without me returning to the power source (it got loaded).

Not sure if the line was not long enough or it has something to do with powered rail track/redstone circuits around the whole power line.

• Some time ago i used plugins for bukkit to get our few km long transmission line working, which worked well.
    I just had to increase the java VM stack as the defalut value was causing a stack overflow from the recursion of method
    calcCurrent or similar. i set there 32MB and it was ok. However, the server has thrown an unknown exception few times
    without any trace(!) but i had no idea what caused it, whether that were bukkit plugins or the IC itself..
    It would all work fine if the IC was made as a seperate part of the game, calculating events privately not using the chunk updates
    except for changes you make to the wiring. Just an idea, i don't know much about the MC structure so i can't tell how difficult
    it would be, but if i could get my hands on the IC source code, i could try implementing my idea..