Thread-Creating User Requirements

• Just wanted to put this up.
    I came to these forums merely to publish my addon mod, for which I was attacked by multiple people with accusations of me being a code thief (such a lovely welcome). If I were forced to meet an arbitrary posting limit before I could make my own thread to publish my work, I wouldn't have bothered.

I may be a fringe case here, but I'm here to comply with Alblaka's wishes concerning derivative work publishing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

• Official Post

Just wanted to put this up.
    I came to these forums merely to publish my addon mod, for which I was attacked by multiple people with accusations of me being a code thief (such a lovely welcome). If I were forced to meet an arbitrary posting limit before I could make my own thread to publish my work, I wouldn't have bothered.

I may be a fringe case here, but I'm here to comply with Alblaka's wishes concerning derivative work publishing.

Werent you the Guy, who just wanted to use Flaxseeds of RP for an IC²-Crop? If so, then it wouldnt be codestealing, because you would've just used an ItemID of another Mod for it and not actually decompiled Code. :)

• I'll say it right now that I am OPPOSED to any limits out side of the suggestion subforum. we are just trying to cut down on the derpy repeat suggestions not turn the whole forum into a gated community

Just wanted to put this up.

what was your addon again?

I am personally of the opinion that a click "i accept" wall should be tried first for these reasons
    1. while it is not fool proof neither is post limits and time limits
    2. any fool proof method will render the affected subforums unusable to new members
    3. if there is no noticeable change then we escalate to a post limit of 1 to stop fly buy night first post is a suggestion thread users. escalations can then progress when it is proven that new users will do whatever it takes to bypass these limits

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Werent you the Guy, who just wanted to use Flaxseeds of RP for an IC²-Crop? If so, then it wouldnt be codestealing, because you would've just used an ItemID of another Mod for it and not actually decompiled Code. :)

Yup. And that's exactly what I did, setup a config variable so if the user is smart enough they can set it to the RP2 flax seed ID and it'll just work. If not, then the crop can still be obtained through crossbreeding.
    I did notice a moderator altered one of my posts in a rather blatant accusation of me stealing code. I really don't appreciate that, especially when they do it sneakily.

what was your addon again?

http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=6395
    Got a new release ready with SMP support, a tool to obtain seedbags without destroying the crop, and a couple new crops. Just waiting for funnyman3595's permission to use his soybean sprites (he asked me to wait a couple days, so I'm waiting for the final ok).

• Yup. And that's exactly what I did, setup a config variable so if the user is smart enough they can set it to the RP2 flax seed ID and it'll just work. If not, then the crop can still be obtained through crossbreeding.
    I did notice a moderator altered one of my posts in a rather blatant accusation of me stealing code. I really don't appreciate that, especially when they do it sneakily.

http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=6395
    Got a new release ready with SMP support, a tool to obtain seedbags without destroying the crop, and a couple new crops. Just waiting for funnyman3595's permission to use his soybean sprites (he asked me to wait a couple days, so I'm waiting for the final ok).

Did you get EXPLICIT WRITTEN permission from Eloraam to do this?

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Did you get EXPLICIT WRITTEN permission from Eloraam to do this?

i can say with the same degree of authority on the subject that this is not on the same level as reverse engineering blu-trisity and writing a crossover addon he doesn't need permission though eloraams blessing would be nice. also if he needs eloraams permission then so does Immibis's tube stuff mod a mod that that eloraam said her self doesn't need her permission.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• i can say with the same degree of authority on the subject that this is not on the same level as reverse engineering blu-trisity and writing a crossover addon he doesn't need permission though eloraams blessing would be nice. also if he needs eloraams permission then so does Immibis's tube stuff mod a mod that that eloraam said her self doesn't need her permission.

Okay, I may have been slightly misguided with that. However, copy-pasting code is not cool, and I would get Eloraam's "Blessing" before doing it.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Okay, I may have been slightly misguided with that. However, copy-pasting code is not cool, and I would get Eloraam's "Blessing" before doing it.

he said that he didn't copy and paste he just wrote it to let you click on a crop stick with a flax seed

• Oh, well that's not too bad.

if you ask me accusations of code stealing should only be made by people who know how to code lest we wind up in the same state as congress after the whole SOPA disaster

same goes for ragging on technic if all you know about confusing copy right right law is second hand then one should not be so quick to declare their disapproval of another users use of it

• Oh, well that's not too bad.

Thank you for confirming that me writing my own code to invoke a cropcard I wrote based on the right-click of an arbitrary, user-choosen item, is "not too bad"...
    Yes, thanks, it's always so nice to get such a well informed assessment of the situation, completely totally 100% not a knee jerk reaction. One unclouded by preconcieved opinions of my ethics and abilities.

Thank you for confirming that me writing my own code to invoke a cropcard I wrote based on the right-click of an arbitrary, user-choosen item, is "not too bad"...
    Yes, thanks, it's always so nice to get such a well informed assessment of the situation, completely totally 100% not a knee jerk reaction. One unclouded by preconcieved opinions of my ethics and abilities.

I'm truly sorry, but you seemed like you were a little... pissed off? Anyway, let's get back on topic here.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• ok since we are getting back on topic lets establish right here and now that there will be no limits imposed on thread creation in any sub-forum except for the suggestion sub-forum

• ok since we are getting back on topic lets establish right here and now that there will be no limits imposed on thread creation in any sub-forum except for the suggestion sub-forum

Nope. I think the Engineering ones could have limits too... Maybe not...

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Nope. I think the Engineering ones could have limits too... Maybe not...

DEFINITELY NOT! engineering should be the second to last place any limit even a click wall should be put in place(the last place being the support subforum) putting limits there will solve nothing and only make new people mad/annoyed. the reason this started was because in the very active suggestion sub-forum a load of crap threads can in theory suppress some good undiscovered threads but that isn't the case in engineering because its much slower paced and if there is anything vital in the engineering subforums it winds up stickied

Edited once, last by passinglurker ().

• DEFINITELY NOT! engineering should be the second to last place any limit even a click wall should be put in place(the last place being the support subforum) putting limits there will solve nothing and only make new people mad/annoyed. the reason this started was because in the very active suggestion sub-forum a load of crap threads can in theory suppress some good undiscovered threads but that isn't the case in engineering because its much slower paced and if there is anything vital in the engineering subforums it winds up stickied

Okay, good point. I just thought that the Engineering sub-forum was supposed to be an intelligent group of people talking to each other...

Haikus are poems

Potato

• contrary to popular belief new users are capable if intelligent conversation these are also the users that wind up lasting longer than a month if they like us

• I don't think post restrictions would be a good idea. In order to make my point, I will attempt to make some broad strokes as to sets of users.

• Lurkers -- Never post, never will.
    • One post wonders -- stop by, make a post, and then leave.
    • Learners -- Like (2), but might have been willing to stick around. They are repulsed by the giant neon "No"'s
    • Rare poster -- Tend toward few posts, longer posts. Spent enough time as (1) to read the posts and learn to avoid the bad topics.
    • Mainstream -- Many, many posts. Some incredibly short, others longer and more detailed.

There are a number of subdivisions to (5), but I'll just lump them.

If one would make a post restriction,

• Lurkers: No change
    • One post wonders: Either they become lurkers, leave, or progress more slowly to mainstream. Some might indeed be of the "lightning rod" crowd, but some might also be "Charcoal" or "Compressed Solar"
    • Learners: Two forces. On the one hand, their first post may never occur, so they go lurker or disappear. On the other, you have the progression towards (4) and (5).
    • Rare poster -- Would be forced to post more often before they could bring up their own topics.
    • Mainstream: No change.

I think you would avoid the "Lightning Rods" but may also lose a few ideas. Some would stop by to make what would indeed be a good idea, but would never stick around to make enough posts.

By the law of unintended consequences, it is my thought that there would be an increase in two types of posts.

• "Me too", and "Plus one" posts. Posts for the pure purposes of increasing one's count.
    • "That's a good idea, but this would be better" (ie, threadjacks). May require even more administration than the current. Why bother making 20 posts when you can just post in someone else's first thread?

On my own, I would advocate a change in culture. Instead of "Welcome to the forums, hold this nuke, use the search next time", how about replying with the links to the "Denied topics" thread, or at the very least a good search term to use. Prove that the search function works. It could even just be a form-letter thing you could cut-paste. I regret I cannot name names, but I have noticed this trend occasionally, and applaud it. I mean, when an admittedly new poster (may have been youth or a language barrier) is reduced to angry tears (yep, it happened), that can't be a good thing.

*shrug*
    If the restriction were to be put into place, it should be lower than 20. 10, or maybe even 5, which may serve to reduce the above unintended consequences.

EDIT: A few edits to restate things in a less confrontation way, and to correct mistakes.

• I agree with you up until you talk about the "Culture change" That's most likely not going to happen. Oh, and the post you linked to was a flame-the-flamer. Flame-the-flamers think it is funny to "Troll" people who tell them that their idea has already been denied. (The picture, BTW, said "According to this, you're f---ing gay".)

Haikus are poems

Potato