[Suggestion] Machine wear/breakdown mechanic

• If we go with the nuclear-reactor style machine, what would happen if a single part of the machine broke? Would the entire machine explode? Or would it just create smoke particles and stop working? Maybe certain components like transformers and energy storage increase the chance of an explosion if a component fails.

I think simple machine shouldn't explode, just breaks and being replaced by machine block/destroying their internal components, what I would prefer.

On the subject of oil: I'd love to see oil cells as a way to slow down the wear-and-tear of components that it touches. With better, upgraded oil refining equipment, the player could then get better grades of oil that better protect against wear-and-tear.

I like it too: The system to be continuously feeded by Oil would be very complicated/a bit expensive, but at the end, it would make you save energy (the energy consumed by the machine would be smaller than the energy saved by usage of Oiling), save component and make machine running faster, but you would have to find a way of producing Oil, so using a lot of Gas/BC-Oil, what could create amazing Oil-Company! (Please, do not affect the environment with that Oil on sea).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• dont forget the process of "Fractional Distillation".

so much possibilities if this would be implemented!

-snip-

I'd love to see the possibility of building oil distillation towers and stuff. Only problem is, if we want oil stuff like that, Alblaka is going to have to add a fluid piping system or something. This sort of stuff is perfect for a BC and IC2 addon :D

Edit: Or a RP2 addon, since Eloraam is working on an API for her fluid pipes.

• I'd love to see the possibility of building oil distillation towers and stuff. Only problem is, if we want oil stuff like that, Alblaka is going to have to add a fluid piping system or something. This sort of stuff is perfect for a BC and IC2 addon :D

Edit: Or a RP2 addon, since Eloraam is working on an API for her fluid pipes.

Or we could use our good ol' cells.

(A picture I won't copy)

Yes, bitumen crafted with gravel and others, to increase your speed by 1.2 when walking on, advanced very energetic fuels (kerozene, petrol, liquid gas or even ... even Hydrogen!)
    For the Distillation process, I already posted something in this order, in a very old thread but it has been removed from this forum to Archive because it contained too already denied Ideas (Nuclear Fusion, Tier IV machine/Armor etc ...)

If needed, I could repost the random charts I imagine for. We would also need a way of generating some differents Oil by Micro-Seaweeds or others plants obtained by Crossbreeding I think, for having infinite Oiled-Machine, at the cost of a very expensive/sophisticated factory including Crossbreeding farm, Micro-Seaweeds tank, reffinery, pipes etc ...

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• How about you wait for this to get implement IF it gets implemented before going all trigger happy on suggestion on a non-existant mechanic.

If i know something about making a mod, is that the dev team may get the idea to make something new from the suggestion, but it does not necessary mean they will implemented the exact same way is suggested, so your "oil" thing may make sense with this suggestion, but on the actual implementation you will wonder why it was a great idea before.

All in all, lets wait a little and try to get the mechanic accepted first before talking about extras.

• All in all, lets wait a little and try to get the mechanic accepted first before talking about extras.

Maybe I said it because in my opinion, breaking machine/mecanism should only exist WITH Oil, to let player having Infinite machine as before, at the Setup cost. Also, I agree with you, we're a bit out of the topic ^^

Oil, in my mind, is a type of power generation, now a way to hold off machine breakage.

We're speaking about Oiling machine, as lubricating Oil.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• you don't log in for a few days and look what happens. well I for one am willing to drop perfect machines in favor of more nuclear reactor like fun :D

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• wear shoud decrease speed\effectiveness of machines and shoud be obvious for user (something like GUI display with HP and easy ability to fix).
    also we will need ability to decrease wear speed (by lubricants or cooling or any other means, upgrade slots already implemented).

• I can agree that an item or something to reduce the wear may be necessary, but not if it reduces the wear by a stupid 100%, at best it should be 60%-40%.

Why not ? You speak about a "stupid 100%", I would speak about how stupid it would be if there wasn't anyway to fix the problem, even with very expensive/sophisticated setup.
    And you've to think that this "infinity" isn't really one: you've a lack of 1 hour of lubricating Oil ? Your machine breaks.
    And of course, because of the energy needed/cost of the system you want to build to make your machine infinite, you can't make it at the beggining. So your first machines will necessary breaks. Even without speaking about how it would be sophisticated.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Its stupid because the obvious "Automatation" Scheme will magically appear to make it completely infinite.

I rather have a long duration "Oiling" that only reduces the amount of wear by 50% and can only be applied with special means (Ergo no automation), Than a short duration one that makes the wear 0 and can be applied with any means (Ergo killing the joke of the whole wear mechanic)

I can even forgive the no automation on the long duration one, because the machine will eventually break and will required player input for that. Something that will not happen with the short duration one.

• Its stupid because the obvious "Automatation" Scheme will magically appear to make it completely infinite.

I rather have a long duration "Oiling" that only reduces the amount of wear by 50% and can only be applied with special means (Ergo no automation), Than a short duration one that makes the wear 0 and can be applied with any means (Ergo killing the joke of the whole wear mechanic)

I can even forgive the no automation on the long duration one, because the machine will eventually break and will required player input for that. Something that will not happen with the short duration one.

I'm not too for automation (And above all, scaring EE servers).
    But I wouldn't like replace my machines all the time.
    But if it's only internal components breaking, why not ... or maybe make them heat, as Nuclear things, so you would need Coolant cells + Oiling and the heat would avoid people using it in factory because of a very slow rate of operations their machine could do. (It would need cooldown times, wich isn't a problem in your base, but it is a big problem in your factory)
    So, for normal usage it won't take problem, assuming you can use your machine in a very intensive way but, 10 minutes later, you'll leave it to mine/farm/built/use another one. But for Automation, it would mean: "decrease your production rate by 15".
    Still not convinced ?

PS: Or simply, the cooling couldn't be done by coolants cells, but by liquid coming in the machine, so with the lubricating oil transported by pipes too, you won't have enough space for BC/RP pipes ^^. Or adding the 2 ;)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• with nuclear reactor like fun it maybe possible to contain the "automated processing" within the machine chassis its self. depending on how its implemented (adjacent chassis expanding the internal space will be a must) this means that it convenient to swap out those spare parts when you walk over to drop in a stack of iron dust be to smelted, refined, and crafted into machine blocks all in one machine.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• LOL, if something like this did get implemented, the IC2 servers are all going to freak out. If someone goes offline for a day, or goes to sleep, and leaves their generator running or something, they'd come back on to a small piece of their house missing.

How I imagine this new mechanic:

The machine block's hull health should be an average of the health of all of the components inside that are under 50% in health. When a component runs low enough on health, instead of getting destroyed, is should turn into scrap. Scrap in the machine should automatically shut the machine off, and bring down the hull's health by a certain factor. Unlike the nuclear reactor, this health cannot be replenished, and a new machine block must be crafted. Machine blocks that have under 80% health left are automatically lost when you try to pick them up with a wrench. The slightly damaged machine block gets "repaired" when you pick it up, draining some energy from the electric wrench

Using oil on a machine block should null out gradual transfer of damage from components to hull. If one of the 50% depleted machine components is being oiled, that oil cell automatically begins loosing health at a 50% faster rate bit of metal and stuff are getting in it), and any other components around it begin loosing health 5% quicker.

If the hull's health drops below 80%, is starts putting out occasional smoke particles. If it drops below 60%, smoke starts coming out at a much faster rate. At 40% health, smoke is billowing out of it, and flame particle effects are showing. At 10% health, smoke is still billowing out, but the flames are getting large and more frequent. Also, the ground around the machine should have a random chance of catching on fire. At 0% health, the machine explodes with force equivalent to the power being put into it.

• no rusting an iron tool siting in a chest doesn't rust and neither should an idle machine.