Non-water cooled reactor.

• Currently I have a simple setup with the advanced machines addon, which can smelt the ores coming from my quarry.

I'm using a nuclear reactor to power it all, but recently I've been planning to move to a different location.

I'd like to have my reactor sitting across the room from the machines, with my MFE sitting next to them and the wires going under the floor, but I wouldn't like having half the (9x9) room taken up by contained water cooling.

So I've been trying to find a good reactor design that uses 2 chambers(I don't want to make more chambers than I need) and outputs at least 40EU per tick.

Right now I have this design,--http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…28802jh7g8msnw0c19u7lmo--

I'd like to know if anybody can think of a design that possibly has a lower cooldown/less materials to cool it.

I've looked at the reactor designs but they all require water cooling, so I'm out of luck there.

Any ideas, anybody?

• I am by no stretch of the imagination the best reactor designer but this is what i came up with.

40EU/t
    Infinite cycles
    I designed it to require NO EXTERNAL COOLING not even air so its idiot proof.

Reactor Link

Edit: Fixed broken link.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

Edited once, last by Fallen_dead ().

• Official Post

I am by no stretch of the imagination the best reactor designer but this is what i came up with.

40EU/t
    Infinite cycles
    I designed it to require NO EXTERNAL COOLING not even air so its idiot proof.

Wow, that Design is so good, you should probably post it in Ricks Nuclearreactor Thread. He will definetly not yell at you for this awesome Design. [/sarcasm]

• rick has a no eff:1 policy but he is also on vacation this week so i figure fallen's odds to be about 50/50

also i think you should give water cooling a shot just minus the bulky blast chamber half the reason we have blast chambers and secure rooms even for mk1's is the off chance that a griefer breaks in and stuffs your reactor full of uranium but in ssp that isn't a problem. your most convenient option is just to throw you reactor in any pond, lake, ocean, underground water filled cavern, or river and center your advanced machine room around that.

this design only needs 1 layer of water in the 3x3 cooling space to be safe(at least 8 blocks)
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…pb4jylw2qldp5nj8kr94cub5s

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…u1fp9y95tt7uoomblsrmtxon4 You can encase it completely, no external blocks required, so this one is also moron-proof. Eff. 2, with 2 spots left. You can fill those two spots as a mirror image of the other side if it bothers you.

I improved your design. Oh wait, I posted it one hour before you. Just to make sure you find it: http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=66192#post66192
    Also passinglurker I don't think you linked what you think you linked. :D (this one ?)

• if you want cheap and compact you could also go the icebox route http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ukjqjef8q66xb6vzsl937p3b4 (note:this is not a CASUC its just a SUC you fill the reactor with ice before you start and the cycle will run its course before it runs out.)

I improved your design. Oh wait, I posted it one hour before you. Just to make sure you find it: Non-water cooled reactor.
    Also passinglurker I don't think you linked what you think you linked. :D (this one ?)

i don't remember my design now but yours looks like an improvement.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I must say, I'm quite surprised at how well designed the reactors are here.

I'm most likely going to use raGan's design, as it seems to use mostly coolant cells, so that minimizes the cost, and requires no cooling at all :D

Thanks, everybody, for helping me get a reactor that I can plop behind the wall of my machines, and it'll work relentlessly filling the need of my MFE, until it runs out
    (which I'll most likely make a piston door to reach it, as that keeps the wall looking nice).

Anywho, on to uprooting the mile of glass fibre cable I laid down from my reactor room to my house, for the noise the water made annoyed me. (I never feared an explosion, the design is VERY stable, it's off the list of good reactor designs.)

EDIT: Why does it say I posted this at 1 AM, it's 4 PM where I am ?(

• It goes by. I think Albs time Like it says 1:25 AM but I'm at 7:25 Pm.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• I improved your design. Oh wait, I posted it one hour before you. Just to make sure you find it: Non-water cooled reactor.

I must admit, I only responded with my design without reading, so sort of bad eticate on my part. (There was only 4 or 5 posts, so I did not think that the perfect design had been posted at that point.) However, you don't really have the right to be that smug, yours is only better in the fact that it takes 3 minutes less of resource gathering than mine.

• Glad you found what you wanted. Have fun.

• I must admit, I only responded with my design without reading, so sort of bad eticate on my part. (There was only 4 or 5 posts, so I did not think that the perfect design had been posted at that point.) However, you don't really have the right to be that smug, yours is only better in the fact that it takes 3 minutes less of resource gathering than mine.

That post wasn't about my design. I was pointing out that you should read a bit before posting anything. As you say, there was only 4 or 5 posts, so it shouldn't be that hard to make sure it isn't already there. Sorry for unintended smugness.

• That post wasn't about my design. I was pointing out that you should read a bit before posting anything. As you say, there was only 4 or 5 posts, so it shouldn't be that hard to make sure it isn't already there. Sorry for unintended smugness.

You are right there, and no need to be sorry, I was just pointing it out. Cheers mate