Bug?: Diamond Drill

• If an empty diamond drill is used to break a block, it will still drop the item, even if it is diamond ore (I havent found obsidian yet). all ores also mine at the same speed.

This might also work with a mining drill, but I haven't tested it.

A diamond drill also does not completely drain the battery.

I'm not sure if either of these are a bug or not.

• Official Post

@1: If it took LONG to mine the ores/stones, it's not a bug.

@2: Sometimes the battery has 99.5% charge left (these values are approximately and only to explain the matter) . If you then charge the MiningDrill with 1% per tick, the battery will end up sitting on 0.5%, being nearly empty, but not entirely empty, yet incapable of charging something. Couldn't yet find a proper fix for this.

• Hello,

if it can help you i made some tests :

-> i have a RE battery in my inventory
    -> i have a no diamond minig drill
    -> and nothing else, just craps like dirt and cobble.
    -> i crafted it, no TMI.

what i did for the first try

1) with an almost discharged (0.5% i guess) re battery and an almost discharged mining drill i can still mine at full speed.

2) i take a very little charge un my re battery, by putting it in a bat-box and immediatly remove it.

3) i take the battery in hands and spam right-click, this time the battery is totally discharged (no durability bar)

4) the mining drill now working properly (by hand mining speed when depleted).

then, i tried this a large amount of times, sometimes, durability bars of mining drill/battery dissapear. sometimes not, when it happens for mining drill you can mine an inifiite amount of block a full speed while the durabitlity bar is at 1% or less i don't know the exact amount of energy.

you can probably hotfix this by limiting the working range of all tools to ~2% -> 100% what do you think of that ? 2% or the equivalent in energy of 2 or 3 actions (let say one mined block = 200eu, so if you have 300eu in your drill it won't work). isn't so bad and it's realistic. irl, old batteries already have a little charge but you aren't able to make something work with that.

e.g a new AA - battery shows 1.6+V with a voltmeter. (isn't realy the charge in A/h but well, it's usualy scale with.) a old battery show for exemple 1.4 volt, it mean there is still a little charge, too little to power properly any hardware.

ps : sorry for my bad english and multiples edit.

• Update about this (dunno if it'll help, but it's more info at least)

Was able to produce this same error on a freshly created drill. 100% charged RE battery used, so it created (presumably) a 100% charged drill. Used it on NOTHING but stone (Was quarrying some rock to expand my house with) and discharge it fully (no green on the bar). As said before, stone, coal, and copper (haven't tested it on anything else) are dug out at the normal speed for a charged drill, dirt is dug out at hand speed.

EDIT: Can also confirm uranium and iron as well. Also can confirm that gravel is not affected.

Second edit: VERY big problem found. If you hit an enemy with a drained drill, it WILL destroy the drill.

• Official Post

Okay, I've been working through the drill problems.

• Empty drills can still harvest blocks - cannot solve easily. Since canHarvestBlock isn't passed an ItemStack to check the charge of, we may have to go with the IC1 solution of creating a separate item for uncharged drills.
    • Empty drills still work at top speed - solved.
    • Hitting things with an empty drill destroys the drill - solved.