Is there a way to convert LV into 5 EU/t?

• MinecraftCreeper So I was thinking if there was a way to kill mobs (specially creepers near storage sorting system, nuclear reactors and such) without using the dangerous and power hungry teslas or also dangerous and power not-so-hungry uninsulated cables.

If I'm not mistaken Luminators can kill those mobs and are a good and pretty light source (even better with cfed cables).

:?: So what I need, and couldn't find, is a way to convert LV (32 EU/t) to 5 EU/t. That way it would be possible to use tin cables to transfer the low energy required by luminators with low energy loss and low price cable.

If not I think it would be doable to use copper cables with bat-box every 5 or so blocks.

• There is no way to convert lv into 5 eu packets without using cable related losses, also, luminators kill mobs now? What? Theoretically even if you were to use the current running from a cable into luminators it would damage mobs very very slowly and not be an effective mob defense in any meaningful way, it would be probably more effective to just put cactus blocks in the area

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Thank's for the reply. :)
    I need this defense system inside my base because creepers are spawning even in bright areas.
    And the problem with cacti is that they can hurt me too, they are ugly and inconvenient to put inside the base, and mobs can easily path find around them.

And I'm not in a hurry to kill the mobs (I want them to suffer slowly and painfully :evil:), I just don't want to be surprised by creepers when I think I am safe.

I guess I'll use the copper cable + bat box solution.

• Yes, you can, though in somewhat silly way. If 32eu current is split 7-ways, you get ultra-low voltage with packets of 5 or below. So, either connect bat box to 7+ luminators that never has full storage (may be just use 64 luminators/batbox?), or add 7 LVTs that return current back into batbox.

And I never heard about luminators killing mobs.

• Yes, you can, though in somewhat silly way. If 32eu current is split 7-ways, you get ultra-low voltage with packets of 5 or below. So, either connect bat box to 7+ luminators that never has full storage (may be just use 64 luminators/batbox?), or add 7 LVTs that return current back into batbox.

And I never heard about luminators killing mobs.

That sounds doable gotta try that.
    And yeah they kill mobs, just tested it in single player. It work on every aggressive mob except for those immune to fire (FIRE not SUNLIGHT) so blazes, magma slimes, pigman zombie are safe and for some reason slimes are too. And endermen, even though they are "neutral" they start to burn when right on top of luminators like the other mobs.

• Thank's for the reply. :)
    I need this defense system inside my base because creepers are spawning even in bright areas.
    And the problem with cacti is that they can hurt me too, they are ugly and inconvenient to put inside the base, and mobs can easily path find around them.

And I'm not in a hurry to kill the mobs (I want them to suffer slowly and painfully :evil:), I just don't want to be surprised by creepers when I think I am safe.

I guess I'll use the copper cable + bat box solution.

I believe they only light mobs who stand in there block on fire, so creepers will be unaffected (its like sunlight). I nice solution is to have HV cabling running underground and to feed EV through it (HV cables can handle EV), even if you only send a packet every 4 ticks (MFSU-->HV Transformer) its still pretty powerful (kills mobs in ~1 second), if you loop it the energy cost isn't to high (with 1 burst every 4 ticks its 0.25EU/tick per cable). Even when submerged under a block it still does a lot of damage to people/mobs walking above it.

• If 32eu current is split 7-ways, you get ultra-low voltage with packets of 5 or below.

I believe you are wrong, sir. AFAIK, only current will change, not voltage. It means there will still be 32eu/packet, but lower eu/t, because packets will be sent less frequently. Only way to actually modify packet size is using transformers, which does not provide lower output than 32eu/p. I'm not 100% sure here, so let me know if it isn't that way.
    To test this, you may set up 4 LV machines connected to single MFE. If it explodes, packets are not split.

• I believe you are wrong, sir. AFAIK, only current will change, not voltage. It means there will still be 32eu/packet, but lower eu/t, because packets will be sent less frequently. Only way to actually modify packet size is using transformers, which does not provide lower output than 32eu/p. I'm not 100% sure here, so let me know if it isn't that way.
    To test this, you may set up 4 LV machines connected to single MFE. If it explodes, packets are not split.

I have a habit of testing such things before telling. So, yes, BatBox+Tin Cable+7 Luminators=really working

As for machines, they don't take EU every tick, so packets will not always be split 4+ ways.

But I can power luminator with four MFE and no transformers. Or, in fact, from just two MFE - see attachment.

• Official Post

I see. Luminators may be special case then ? Does it work with machines too ? I don't remember such thing being possible before.

It was possible since IC². But you consume the Energy, to convert to ULV, so its the same as using Cableloss, even if more Efficient and more Compact.