[32x] IC2 JohnSmith Texture Pack [updated for IC2 v1.117]

• Hi guys,
    Here is an addon to JohnSmith texture pack for IC2. I have been working on this for a couple of months and it's pretty much complete now, except for some crops I couldn't identify and some booze, or whatever the liquids in those mugs are (any help on identifying the missing stuff is welcome).
    I did this mainly for my own personal use, but I thought maybe some of you might enjoy it too since there is not that many TP for IC2, so here it goes.

PREVIEW

CHANGELOG

INSTALLATION
    1. Download my pack.
    2. With an archive editor, copy and paste the files (mods) to your JohnSmith texture pack or whatever pack your using.
    3. Enjoy.

CREDITS
    A big part of this is just JohnSmith work with minor modifications. Another big part is purely my work.
    So credit goes to JohnSmith and to me.

• I'm confused. This is an HD texture pack, right? Which means optifine can't load it properly (issues with missing and screwed up textures, lighting etc.). So, that means mcpatcher, which isn't compatible with forge. So...how do you install this? That was the reason I'd stopped using Misa's texture pack - all the half-invisible zombies with trippy multi-colored heads and screwed up lighting.

• I'm confused. This is an HD texture pack, right? Which means optifine can't load it properly (issues with missing and screwed up textures, lighting etc.). So, that means mcpatcher, which isn't compatible with forge. So...how do you install this? That was the reason I'd stopped using Misa's texture pack - all the half-invisible zombies with trippy multi-colored heads and screwed up lighting.

Well, I don't know about Misa's, but JohnSmith TP works perfectly fine with optifine. Never had any problem myself...

I think you are perhaps a bit confused and misinformed. Allow me to clarify HD textures for you.

Basically, in vanilla Minecraft, HD textures fail completely, with the issues you have described. They always have, and Mojang seems to have no interest in fixing this any time soon, preferring to prioritize content.

MCPatcher was created to do several things, including fixing HD Textures. It was pretty cool, although there are some issues with it (such as being able to play MC without a valid account)

OptiFine was once a couple of independent mods (OptiMine and OptiFog) which did a couple of different things, but mostly performance issues. It was intended to increase FPS and/or reduce CPU usage. Eventually it was merged, and is now an excellent tool for tweaking system performance and/or FPS. While it did that, it also managed to fix HD Textures on all editions other than 'Lite'.

So yes, Optifine now allows you to load HD Textures. It also does a lot of other highly useful things. If you haven't looked it up in a while, I strongly encourage you to do so here

• Fantastic job, I really enjoy that the IC2 ores match the rest of the stone. The colors of the stone around the ore on the ore blocks :Uranium Ore: :Copper Ore: :Tin Ore: seems to be slightly lighter than the stone is. It would be totally sweet if they matched. Me and my pals would be very grateful for it. Also, if you feel really fancy, would you make the ores glint like the iron ore does? Part of my soul goes nuts for that shiny glint! I have been trying to find the file that creates that glint but IDK what I'm doing. Thus, I woun't feel bad if you "skip the spinning rims".

p.s. My girlfriend had a field day translating the Japanese on your picture (lemon)

• Fantastic job, I really enjoy that the IC2 ores match the rest of the stone. The colors of the stone around the ore on the ore blocks :Uranium Ore: :Copper Ore: :Tin Ore: seems to be slightly lighter than the stone is. It would be totally sweet if they matched. Me and my pals would be very grateful for it.

I made the ores from the original stone block, so I would be surprised if they didn't match... :D
    The thing is John Smith tends to make slight modifications to his texture pack with every update, so it could be that he changed a bit the stone blocks in his last update, which would explain why they no longer match with mine, I don't know. It might also be some kind of bug with the light. I'll have a look at it when I have time.

Also, if you feel really fancy, would you make the ores glint like the
    iron ore does? Part of my soul goes nuts for that shiny glint! I have
    been trying to find the file that creates that glint but IDK what I'm
    doing. Thus, I woun't feel bad if you "skip the spinning rims".

The file you're looking for is "custom_terrain_33.png" in the "anim" folder (it used to be in the main folder in previous versions). For each animation you need something like 50 times the original image with each step of the animation... I don't know how to make this with IC2 blocks actually.

• Upon closer examination, it appears as though ic2 ores are the same color as the stone at the surface. There must be a file that adjusts the stone color according to light level or depth.

The file you're looking for is "custom_terrain_33.png" in the "anim" folder (it used to be in the main folder in previous versions). For each animation you need something like 50 times the original image with each step of the animation... I don't know how to make this with IC2 blocks actually.

:pinch: that's tragic and appallingly complicated! I might try to figure it out if I get bored though.

• Okay so just to keep you informed:

You might know this already but John Smith has stopped working on his texture pack a couple of months ago. It's still being updated by a bunch of fans through the so called John Smith Legacy project. You can find it here, or there. They notably added support for a couple of mods, including IC2 (with most of my textures, even though I'm not personally involved in this project).
    Personally, I'm not always happy with the changes being made so I use a custom version of JS TP (with only minor changes).
    For now I will keep working on my IC2 textures, until I'm fed up with it.

And by the way, theres a new update for the last beta v117. Enjoy.