Any point to Nuclear Engineering?

• This part is actually quite accurate. Reactors require huge amount of cooling, usually in form of water. Fukushima was caused by tidal waves destroying pumps that provided reactors with water, afaik.

Correct for most reactors. There are a number of reactors which require no supplemental cooling outside of the air around them IRL, such as the Pebble Bed Modular Reactor being built in South Africa.

The thing is, an IC2 nuclear reactor includes the turbines and generators along with the reactor, without any of the normal parts used to cool a reactor aside from the fuel pool.

I think it would awesome if someone actually made a cooling tower / condenser mod. Make it like the coke ovens and blast furnaces in railcraft so it has to be a certain size, and have it provide cooling to the reactor as long as it is powered.

• in fact a real nuclear reactors works with water at every step^^ they're nothing more than giant steam plants, vaporizing their cooling water to drive the generator.

Yeah, but I'd wager they don't put the water in by bucket. I'd also wager that they don't just throw ice at it either (maybe in extreme circumstances where they need to cool quickly). But either way there has to be a more interesting way to setup the "nuclear reactor minigame".

• Yeah, but I'd wager they don't put the water in by bucket. I'd also wager that they don't just throw ice at it either (maybe in extreme circumstances where they need to cool quickly). But either way there has to be a more interesting way to setup the "nuclear reactor minigame".

Yeah, not like nuclear engineering would be completely different in the 1.3.2 version of IC2...oh wait.

• Yeah, but I'd wager they don't put the water in by bucket. I'd also wager that they don't just throw ice at it either (maybe in extreme circumstances where they need to cool quickly)

this idea could actually help to create new jobs and fight overpopulation :thumbup:

• Yeah, but I'd wager they don't put the water in by bucket. I'd also wager that they don't just throw ice at it either (maybe in extreme circumstances where they need to cool quickly). But either way there has to be a more interesting way to setup the "nuclear reactor minigame".

Actually, one of the more commonly used failsafes used in modern designs is an 'ice plug'. Basically, you've got a lake on top of the reactor. To this lake, you have a pipe. The pipe is cooled to below 0C (32 F) and creates an 'ice plug' which prevents the lake from dumping into the reactor. In the event of a runaway reaction, core temperature rises to the point where the ice plug is melted, and the lake dumps into the reactor chamber, flooding it, cooling it down and ending the reaction because the control rods are held up and out of the way via electromagnets. Electromagnets have a fuse which is temperature-controlled, when the temperature exceeds safe levels by a margin of error, the fuses blow and the rods automatically slide into place. Failure of power also causes the rods to slide down into place.

When asked what if it fails, the response was "To date, in all of recorded history, we have never encountered a failure for ice to melt at high temperatures or things to fall down as a result of gravity. Should either of these things fail to occur for the first time in recorded history, we will have far bigger problems than a possible nuclear meltdown, since both of these things are required for our atmosphere to continue to exist." Strangely enough, there was no rebuttal.

• Actually, one of the more commonly used failsafes used in modern designs is an 'ice plug'. Basically, you've got a lake on top of the reactor. To this lake, you have a pipe. The pipe is cooled to below 0C (32 F) and creates an 'ice plug' which prevents the lake from dumping into the reactor. In the event of a runaway reaction, core temperature rises to the point where the ice plug is melted, and the lake dumps into the reactor chamber, flooding it, cooling it down and ending the reaction because the control rods are held up and out of the way via electromagnets. Electromagnets have a fuse which is temperature-controlled, when the temperature exceeds safe levels by a margin of error, the fuses blow and the rods automatically slide into place. Failure of power also causes the rods to slide down into place.

When asked what if it fails, the response was "To date, in all of recorded history, we have never encountered a failure for ice to melt at high temperatures or things to fall down as a result of gravity. Should either of these things fail to occur for the first time in recorded history, we will have far bigger problems than a possible nuclear meltdown, since both of these things are required for our atmosphere to continue to exist." Strangely enough, there was no rebuttal.

That still doesn't change the fact that pumping ice blocks into a reactor in Industrial Craft is weird.

• That still doesn't change the fact that pumping ice blocks into a reactor in Industrial Craft is weird.

Its minecraft. Ice is cool so it cools alot dont ask for the details it just works like this xd.

Anyway in 1.32 alot of new components are coming and maybe alot of other changes to the reactor. Cant wait xd.

• You can't wait? I know that feeling :)

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• ok so let's run a quick scenario:
    -for some unknown reason, you've bred, consumed, and 'nuked' your supply of uranium.(the whole world, not just your personal stash)
    -so you hook up(we'll assume you moved it, rather than built a new one) a mass fab to your solar array, maybe attach an auto-crafting table to produce uranium.
    -infinite stone machine(look into one, they're great) being mined for cobble, then fed into a recycler, then fed into the mass fab. we'll assume this is powered by a prebuilt redstone engine power plant. (your primary power was nukes, how else did you burn all that uranium)
    - roughly 166,666 eu per UU matter
    -with the exception of the start up uranium bars, you could breed yourself back into business

-with one issue, i have yet to find a recipe for uu->uranium

• If you really want to know(doesn't contain a recipe)...

• I didn't like reactors initially when I started with IC² just because the idea of burning uranium felt wrong compared to just build a wind farm (solar farms are just crap compared to that). But now after some restarts of IC I learned that nuclear definitely has its advantages, and that is the cost to produce it in relation to the power they produce. Build that 70 EU/t reactor from above and your starter base is good to go including 2 diamond/OV miners. Nothing else can give you that much power that fast.

• With 1.105 alot is gonna change so maybe it will be more than just fun :).

I really do hope so... looks promising enough for me to even experiment with, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.