Adf.ly

• Official Post

adfly is just beyond stupid. There are some greedy ones out there who try and make players go through all three of the ad click services. I have never donated (lol cause I am always broke thanks to college), but if I did I am 90% less likely to donate to someone who makes me click through a ad link rather than someone who doesn't. My view on it is this: You are already making me spend 5 seconds of my precious free time to download your mod so you can get a couple of pennies, then you don't need an extra donation on top of that. (This comes off a bit harsh and the common answer is "so what, its only 5 seconds". On any given week I am working on up to 5 coding/design projects for my class, working on my personal portfolio, volunteering my time at a local observatory, working, trying to get around 3-4 hours of sleep, or reading on design techniques or learning new things within Javascript/jQuery. Five seconds of my time is alot, and I don't have the time to go through 3 different ad services just to get a mod that looked interesting.)

technically I don't think these services are allowed anyways. It would depend on how Mojang has their EULA written, but if you force a user to go through a ad-based site to generate revenue off the download of their mod, it is the same as charging a price to download. I remember back in the hideous days of WoW players were offering a premium version if they donated (I am seeing Aether II doing this as well) and Blizzard slammed their mighty hammer down on the modding community and threatened action if they did not stop immediately.

As for the mythical API of Minecraft and the thoughts of a market place. In order to sell your mod (which in itself is an original work derived from another original work) you would need to purchase a permit or get a release from the original developer to sell the mod for a price. Anyways the Minecraft API is a urban myth lol. (look into iPhone apps for EVE Online to see the huge debacle that took place there).

Main reason i hate it is becuase even though its only 5 Seconds, you get 0.05p per Click.... SERIOUSLY.... WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU BOTHER

• Main reason i hate it is becuase even though its only 5 Seconds, you get 0.05p per Click.... SERIOUSLY.... WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU BOTHER

mainly due to volume... If your mod is popular enough then you will generate some revenue from it, but not enough to be "omg I am rich now". I am glad Alblaka has always kept this mod away from the ad sites, there are quite a few out there that do not use them.

• If Adfly is 0.05 Cents per click then you make much more Money from getting Donations. Adfly is not even usable to keep a Server running, you must have extra Advertisement running or have your own Server.

Its not usable at any level. think about it.. you would need 14 clicks just to earn enough money to buy a .25 cent pack of gum (if that even exists still). 50 clicks if you want something off the .99 cent menu at Wendy's. Donations are the way to go... As a new server operator I am curious if I ask for donations to offset and upgrade the servers, would that be technically profiting off the mods? I ask because most mod developers forbid any profiting off their mods if used in a pack. The whole point of running a modded server is to attract users based on the mods the server is using. (sorry for the sad attempt of thread jacking, but it has been bugging me for a bit while I am compiling my server's website together).

• Official Post

If Adfly is 0.05 Cents per click then you make much more Money from getting Donations. Adfly is not even usable to keep a Server running, you must have extra Advertisement running or have your own Server.

GBP Pennies, not cent. American cent would be 0.076

• Official Post

Its not usable at any level. think about it.. you would need 14 clicks just to earn enough money to buy a .25 cent pack of gum (if that even exists still). 50 clicks if you want something off the .99 cent menu at Wendy's. Donations are the way to go... As a new server operator I am curious if I ask for donations to offset and upgrade the servers, would that be technically profiting off the mods? I ask because most mod developers forbid any profiting off their mods if used in a pack. The whole point of running a modded server is to attract users based on the mods the server is using. (sorry for the sad attempt of thread jacking, but it has been bugging me for a bit while I am compiling my server's website together).

If you don't make any profit (which you don't as you're paying for the server which is the point you need the mods in the first place) it should be fine