Pick Apart this Proposed Energy Generation Overhaul

• 1. Windmills : remove these from the game. Replace them with a wind generator that produces a lot more power, but costs a lot more resources (higher density, like an "HV-windgen"). The block when placed needs a huge amount of clear space, and it has an animated entity drawn on the client that looks like actual windmill blades. (and the animation can be disabled in the config file and replaced with a static sprite)

2. Solar Panels : A recursive algorithm combines all panels that are adjacent into a single entity. It does this upon chunk loading.
    Only once upon loading the chunk are things like a clear path to sky checked. Solar panels have a failure rate - several things can go wrong. Their internal circuits can melt down (you'll get a pool of melted rubber on top), they can get dirty, the glass can crack, etc. Solar panels either fail the very moment you install them, or they last for a MINIMUM of 3 real life days. (72 hours). After that they have a chance to fail, calculated just once per tick for the entire group of panels.

The purpose? Eliminate the need for lame things like "HV solar arrays". You can create solar fields - but they will take up many, many chunks of area, and in practice there is a limited number of chunks that a player can load. Note : only if a solar array is actually providing power to something (to charge a battery, etc) does it count against the array's lifespan. The idea here is to not annoy people who are using panels as intended, to power a basic base (since they will never use their panels 72 hours in a row to run a few machines, not without playing for weeks) but to penalize people duping items using solar power.

3. Water Generators - also remove these, replace them with big turbines that must have flowing water going through them.

4. Generators - revamp the path for creating refined fuel to burn in a generator. There should be a path for bulk fuel production that consumes 0 tin.

5. Nuclear Reactors - I propose this earlier, got shot down, but here's a refinement. By macerating huge amounts of uranium ore, you can create purified uranium dust. This can be stamped into ingots and used to make purified uranium cells. These last 10 times longer in a nuclear reactor, but require 20 times the initial uranium to make.

6. And of course, Gregorius Tech's Fusion reactor addon is pretty close to a balanced addon for one final tier of power generation. Though it currently burns way too much tin.

• Official Post

1. Windmills : remove these from the game. Replace them with a wind generator that produces a lot more power, but costs a lot more resources (higher density, like an "HV-windgen"). The block when placed needs a huge amount of clear space, and it has an animated entity drawn on the client that looks like actual windmill blades. (and the animation can be disabled in the config file and replaced with a static sprite)

You mean like the new Redpowerwindmill? I think such Multiblockstructures (large Entities are almost the same) have been denied already.

2. Solar Panels : A recursive algorithm combines all panels that are adjacent into a single entity. It does this upon chunk loading.
    Only once upon loading the chunk are things like a clear path to sky checked. Solar panels have a failure rate - several things can go wrong. Their internal circuits can melt down (you'll get a pool of melted rubber on top), they can get dirty, the glass can crack, etc. Solar panels either fail the very moment you install them, or they last for a MINIMUM of 3 real life days. (72 hours). After that they have a chance to fail, calculated just once per tick for the entire group of panels.

The purpose? Eliminate the need for lame things like "HV solar arrays". You can create solar fields - but they will take up many, many chunks of area, and in practice there is a limited number of chunks that a player can load. Note : only if a solar array is actually providing power to something (to charge a battery, etc) does it count against the array's lifespan. The idea here is to not annoy people who are using panels as intended, to power a basic base (since they will never use their panels 72 hours in a row to run a few machines, not without playing for weeks) but to penalize people duping items using solar power.

That with clearpath to Sky has been fixed long time ago. Large solarplants like you suggest have already been TO-DO-Listed (at least the nonexistend List). And weardown has also been kindof denied multiple times.

3. Water Generators - also remove these, replace them with big turbines that must have flowing water going through them.

Why? Arent they nerfed enough?

4. Generators - revamp the path for creating refined fuel to burn in a generator. There should be a path for bulk fuel production that consumes 0 tin.

Filling Fuel into cans without wasting Tin is already part of my Addon.

5. Nuclear Reactors - I propose this earlier, got shot down, but here's a refinement. By macerating huge amounts of uranium ore, you can create purified uranium dust. This can be stamped into ingots and used to make purified uranium cells. These last 10 times longer in a nuclear reactor, but require 20 times the initial uranium to make.

Uraniumdust now on my own TO-DO-List (a real piece of dead Wood, aka Paper). Its then one of the Productionsteps to centrifuge the Uranium.

6. And of course, Gregorius Tech's Fusion reactor addon is pretty close to a balanced addon for one final tier of power generation. Though it currently burns way too much tin.

Without the Massfabnerf, which i will introduce later, you can currently produce more than enough UUM, to infinitly fuel your Fusionreactor. And Fusion will not be the final Tier.

• As much as i would love to see multi-block machines, those arent implemented into the game in order to preserve the sake of the old computers. Not everybody has a good machine and not everybody can buy a new one.

Maybe as a sort of addon, or as a config file, the windmill stuff even sounds nice, and watermills producing more power by moving water was already suggested and i believe its incoming. Machine maintanance could become a huge boring thing, if badly implemented, and it gave a huge discussion.

On one side:

-Automation rulez, i dont wanna check my machines, they should work forever.

On the other:

-its more realistic, challenging, e.t.c (i support this)

Also, greg tech burning tin, is intended. Mention the word "tin" and "saving" on the same sentence, and pray that you're not on the same galaxy as Greg :P .

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Official Post

Filling Fuel into cans without wasting Tin is already part of my Addon.

Also, greg tech burning tin, is intended. Mention the word "tin" and "saving" on the same sentence, and pray that you're not on the same galaxy as Greg :P .

Please compare these two sentences. :P

Not to mention that i can be in every Galaxy (why else is it named GregTech Intergalactical)

• I think bricks main concern is removing rarely used/useless mechanics (Like matermilltowers) and replacing them with more expensive yet more viable options.
    A second point is probably lag.

Best way to condense mass generators is just using a same system like they did with the solars, condensed generators. I guess we'll have to leave that to addons.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• Please compare these two sentences. :P

Not to mention that i can be in every Galaxy (why else is it named GregTech Intergalactical)

It was a fail of me to say that in this case.

Still, "tinpitchers" get no mercy from you :P

Also, if we was in another galaxy he would Have time to say goodbye to family... if he was close onugh to them :D

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• High-yield power generators are necessary, of cause. But they should be balanced, i.e. one type of them should not make others obsolete.

Water turbines - may be, make it require a pillar of flowing water above it? With higher pillar = more power?

• Multi block machines, if coded intelligently, cause much much less lag than a big bunch of single block machines.

The reason is that only 1 "block" of the multi-block machine is actually a tile entity. The others are just static blocks with a special property that if they are ever destroyed, they tell the host block that they were destroyed (so that the machine will shut down if all of the blocks are not present)

This means that the actual "lag" effects on a multiplayer server would be enormously reduced. Each mega-windmill would replace 50 or so of the small ones. Same with the water turbine generators.

• I agree on the fact a Windmill rework including some multi-block system + higher cost + higher malus beause of block in the area would be good ... Especially because I hate Windmills tower (uggly, unrealistic [I mean for balance, I don't care about realism in a general way] and kinda OP when used in Tower ... The thing I hate too is the "race to the sky" because of the EU-generation algorythm (I like the fact it's depending on how high it is placed, but it should be limited to something like 120 in my opinion).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!