-[Suggestion]: Changing energy storage system-

• Hi everyone!
    I'm here to suggest a few (ok, not really, it would be a huge one ^^) changes on the Storing energy system.
    This is described by 1 line:
    Making storage more expensive and HAVING LOSSES (and reducing max storage capacity for each storing machine).
    I mean, consider a MFSU receiving 1 000 000 EU. Instead of giving you back these 1 000 000 EU, it would give you back 250 000 EU. That would also need Upgrades, that would increase efficiency (from 25% to 35% for example), total storage (and being cheaper for their cost than building another storage device) or even max Input (but not output).

What would be the point of it ? At first, making EU-Network more "realist". In the "with more real problems/benefits" meaning. What would be these problems ? A Solar Pannel/Wind Mill wouldn't be as cool as it is now, because you wouldn't be able to store properly your Energy. And that would buff Fuel-based energy, since you can decide to use when you need energy.
    Of course, it would probably require a buff of every generator, just to avoid people from complaining ^^.

Obviously, I guess it won't be implemented ever in the game. But just think to it, I think it would be more balanced. At least, we can hope GregoriusT would like to implement something like that in Hardcore configs ^^. (in this case, think of LESU as a 100% efficient storage unit, it would makes it really useful, because for now it isn't ^^).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• ...Instead of giving you back these 1 000 000 EU, it would give you back 250 000 EU...
    A Solar Pannel/Wind Mill wouldn't be as cool as it is now, because you wouldn't be able to store properly your Energy...

With such loss rates even several well designed nuclear reactors will not be cool. :)
    But basically idea of losses looks natural and expectable, there even can be some kind of self-discharging effect.

• The problem is there's not really a practical way to *not* use a storage system (maybe you could wire a specific machine right up to the power plant, such as the fabricator, but the whole workshop?)

• The problem is there's not really a practical way to *not* use a storage system (maybe you could wire a specific machine right up to the power plant, such as the fabricator, but the whole workshop?)

You want a way NOT TO use (for the grammar rule ^^) storage system ? Just consume every EU produced, which means in fact: produce what you need. --> Fuel based generators ^^

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• don't see how that would change anything, fuel based gens would require maintenace, renewables wouldn't, so people would still favor renewables
    all that it would change is that stored electricity would be wasted

• A better Idea than the mine (just a little bit more laggy, but that's not huge ^^) would be a low decreasing of energy stored. (based on percentage). But ... with what I said, I also said it would need buffing Fuel based gen, but not Green one ^^.
    But, more than a buffing Fuel based generator things, this would also makes people able of running as many machines as they have generators (so Green Gen would be a bit nerfed, because you would need 3 solar pannels for one non overclocked macerator running at full time ^^).

More generally, the idea was more to promote vast energy network, as it has to be done IRL because electricity can't be stored in a proper way (a part from using lake as rechargeable battery, which would be quite fun in MC, without Infinite Water ...)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

So basically a Storage System, which looses Energy over Time? I already hate the Rolling Machine for that. I always have to disconnect it from the MJ-net because of that waste. But if MFEs and MFSUs would decrease Energy over time, then the Energy Crystals and Lapotron Crystals would have to degrade over time too, and that is only possible with Timestamps (saving when the last Update happened and then when it updates, calculating all the loss at once, so that storing things inside Chests doesnt work).

• Lol, I also hate the RM for that ... but it does not mean it hasn't to be ^^.

Also, same behavior of Rolling machine can be observed on Rock Crusher.

Yep, but apart from using exploit, who really use the Rock Crusher ? ^^

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• If all IC² stuff lost 1% of maximum energy every hour i wouldnt mind...

Also, same behavior of Rolling machine can be observed on Rock Crusher.

That's a touch low (1.4 EU/t for an MFSU), though it depends on what you want the size of your maintenance power to be.

I would also suggest it be based on current rather than max energy, otherwise it messes with parallel banks of storage (necessary to do things like run heavily overclocked macerators, rather than to store 40 million EU) more than series storage.

Quoted from "Requia"

The problem is there's not really a practical way to *not* use a storage system (maybe you could wire a specific machine right up to the power plant, such as the fabricator, but the whole workshop?)
    You want a way NOT TO use (for the grammar rule ^^) storage system ? Just consume every EU produced, which means in fact: produce what you need. --> Fuel based generators ^^

Fuel based generators are never going to cover the ~400 EU/t my macerator bank consumes when I load up all 4 of them.

Or the teleporter MFSUs, dear god the 1.4 million EU it takes to make a trip one way is bad enough already.

• Fuel based generators are never going to cover the ~400 EU/t my macerator bank consumes when I load up all 4 of them.

Or the teleporter MFSUs, dear god the 1.4 million EU it takes to make a trip one way is bad enough already.

Yup. That's why they should be buffed, because if a feature isn't used, then remove it or makes it useful, right ? I know some players start with the Generator ... but as the Geogen isn't that more expensive, what happen very often is that nobody use the Generator. At least GregTech buff it (not the generator in itself, but this way of generating energy), what is cool :)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Yup. That's why they should be buffed, because if a feature isn't used, then remove it or makes it useful, right ? I know some players start with the Generator ... but as the Geogen isn't that more expensive, what happen very often is that nobody use the Generator. At least GregTech buff it (not the generator in itself, but this way of generating energy), what is cool :)

Generator has advantage before Geothermal Generator because wood and, therefore, charcoal is probably the most renewable resource, but after 10 stacks people usually realize, thought green gens is more expensive, you don't need to mess with chopping trees every time you need energy. It will be boring process even if you buff it. Probably because of that generator achievement called "Suitable Power".

• Generator has advantage before Geothermal Generator because wood and, therefore, charcoal is probably the most renewable resource, but after 10 stacks people usually realize, thought green gens is more expensive, you don't need to mess with chopping trees every time you need energy. It will be boring process even if you buff it. Probably because of that generator achievement called "Suitable Power".

Then buff non renewable Fuels ^^. Moreover, Generator are used, by users of cheaty-Forestry.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

Moreover, Generator are used, by users of cheaty-Forestry.

Wow, so Forestry is considered 'cheating' now? Good grief...

OT: this change won't change much of the player base's behavior. All they'll do is store their energy into items (which can't passively change states afaik), and keep either their fuels in storage or items in chests till they need to use the Storage block as an intermediary to discharge that energy...

Example: Using Batpacks in a Batbox to store solar energy during the day, which to later take out and place in chests at night.

And I do happen to be one of those TE users who prefer the MJ network over the EU network. Course, that's mostly because MJ and materials are more flexible via liquid and energy teleportation, and losses are alot less than with IC. And even when I use IC, it's from direct piping of lava into Geogens to run whatever machines I need...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Wow, so Forestry is considered 'cheating' now?

Anything is "cheating" to someone. Minecraft is exceptionally open to being played in many different ways; the only strangeness I tend to notice is when someone thinks their way is the only way and goodness-forbid one should ever think of doing it any other way. Usually, I laugh a lot when someone suggests that.

• Anything is "cheating" to someone. Minecraft is exceptionally open to being played in many different ways; the only strangeness I tend to notice is when someone thinks their way is the only way and goodness-forbid one should ever think of doing it any other way. Usually, I laugh a lot when someone suggests that.

Yeah, you're right. I meaned: Forestry is, to me, breaking the balance of IC², GregTech, BC and some others. Bees are fun, because they're hard to get (with hard configs ^^) but I PERSONALLY THINK this way of generating bio stuff is too easy, cheap, and too easy to automatize. Thinking I can do the same thing with RP2, I'll prefer using RP2 thingies, even if because it's a lot more expensive.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!